The micro:bit app is the essential companion to the BBC micro:bit, the pocket sized programmable computer. The app provides online access to a choice of code editors for programming your micro:bit and, when your program is ready, the app beams it to the micro:bit via Bluetooth wireless. Easy-to-follow screens lead you through the process of pairing your iPad (or iPhone) to the micro:bit and then transferring your program code.
Compared with previous versions, the micro:bit app Version 3 contains these additional features:
• Pair with any number of micro:bits
• Choose which micro:bit is currently connected
• Store HEX files in the app
• Choose a HEX file for flashing
• Export and delete HEX files
• Monitor data detected by micro:bit sensors
• Use the range of micro:bit Bluetooth services in real time
• Display messages on the micro:bit LEDs
• Send control commands to the micro:bit buttons and pins
• De-bug your program code while it is running in the micro:bit
• Use a simulated gamepad to send commands to the micro:bit
• View camera images ready for taking photos or video
As well as providing more flexible handling of your program scripts and HEX files, a major addition in Version 3 is the Monitor and Control page. This lets you observe real-time data from the micro:bit sensors, send messages directly to the LEDs and control the micro:bit buttons and pins from your iPad or iPhone. Monitor is ideal for exploiting Bluetooth services in real time, and for de-bugging your program code while it is running in the micro:bit.
The MakeCode code editor now requires iOS 13 or later.
Minor fixes to accommodate changes in MakeCode and iOS 15 update.
QR reader facility added for MakeCode files.
Ratings and Reviews
Works Great But Read Instructions Carefully
Connectivity can be pretty complicated. When I got mine, I had to go download a new hex file with Bluetooth pairing enabled before I could do any pairing. Once that was done the pairing works great.
And the App has great tutorials that I can easily download. I’m impressed.
Perfect! Given the limitations of the hardware ... Perfect!
Nice job! Well thought out. I’d just echo another reviewers comment from March about the directions for connectivity procedure could be tweaked - last step - hold down A and B buttons until 5x5 LED screen ...
Oh, and for those who criticized the app for needing to repeat process of BLE connectivity ... not the software developers issue. Ten minutes of internet research on hardware website would help you understand this. FAQ! FAQ! Minor inconvenience given the utility of the app and hardware. Engineering any product or idea always results in compromises. Understand this and you’ll have more reasonable expectations. Deep thought or common sense? Hmmmm
I would like to say the app is well designed and offers a lot of functionality. My only critique and it it a small one but I would like to see an offline version for iOS. I teach in rural environments and sometimes internet is not available. Otherwise the app is great and feature rich.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Micro:bit Educational Foundation
- 45.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 Micro:bit Educational Foundation