There has never been a better time to get into XMPP, a free public chat network no one controls or owns. Monal is a fast and user friendly way to use XMPP. Just download the app, login or register and you are ready to chat in minutes. It looks and works the way other apps do, so there is no need to “learn XMPP” or even care what it is.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software
- Does not read any personal information.
- With a direct connection to your server, your password and all other info is never sent to a third party.
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
Despite the small version number update, this is a large upgrade. Among the many changes in this release:
1.New title bar in chat
2.Show when user was last seen online (XEP-0319: Last User Interaction in Presence)
3.Show typing notification (XEP-0085: Chat State Notifications)
4.XMPP blocking (XEP-0191: Blocking Command)
5.Fixed ui glitch that shows incorrect unread mesages
6. Many other Ui and stability improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
OMEMO doesn't work (june 2019)
the server is prosody
omemo works perfect on all the clients i use(gajim,conversation legacy) but not at all. impossible to get the omemo key.
Not yet ready for prime time, it seems
MUCs don’t properly create as it throws away the associated account; Adding MUCs have no user feedback; Online users only show up for one of my XMPP accounts; “Quick” adding an account threw out the TLD for some reason.
Second time trying it in the hopes there were fewer bugs — and, in its defense, I was able to add my personal account and my business accounts this time, but not with full functionality. Perhaps it also can actually maintain push events without silently disconnecting you from your accounts this time around, but it will remain a mystery to me.
Connects to corporate Xmpp server okay, but I see two MAJOR issues that prevent me from using:
1. The list of online users is not correct. There are users who are online and available, but do not show in the list. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not help.
2. Connection drops after some time with no indication whatsoever. I’ll go back to app and all looks good with the list of users that appear online/away, but the connection has actually dropped and that list means nothing. Have to disconnect and reconnect to get back online.
Have not tested the actual ‘chat’ functionality due to the above rendering the app unusable to me.
If I can help by providing some kind of log file, please let me know how.
iOS is sorely lacking in reliable direct connect xmpp clients and this app shows the most promise.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to address your issues in 3.1 that is currently out. Please let me know if it is still a problem
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.