What’s Moxtopper? It’s an app for tracking life totals and commander damage for games of Magic: The Gathering. Once you’ve tried it, no game of Commander will feel complete without Moxtopper on your table.
YOUR PLAYGROUP WILL BE JEALOUS
• Made exclusively for iPhone and iPad.
• Seriously, all of your "green text message" friends will be super salty that you get to use Moxtopper and they don't.
EASY TO USE
• Keep track of every player’s life total with tasty text and chonky buttons.
• The user interface is designed to be usable from all viewing directions! Just place your iPhone or iPad in the middle of your play surface and you’re good to go.
• Multiple-touch support. Your whole play group can use it at the same time.
TRACKS COMMANDER DAMAGE
• We know that tracking commander damage is a *huge* pain. With Moxtopper, it couldn’t be easier. At any time a player can swipe horizontally on their play area to see how much commander damage they’ve taken from all the other players’ commanders.
• Commander damage is tracked per *commander*, so it works great with partner commanders, too!
• If you’re using partner commanders, just swipe down on your play area and press the “Partners” button to toggle partner commander mode on or off.
GREAT FOR EVERY PLAY GROUP
• Moxtopper is optimized to work great not just for 4 player games, but also for any game of 1 to 10 — yes, ten! — players. That means it’s right at home during one-on-one games of Friday Night Magic as well as gigantic Multiplayer Planechase House Rules Banlist Slugfests.
• Configurable with a total of 28 possible seating arrangements so that layout of play areas on the screen always comfortably matches the way your play group likes to sit around the table.
UPGRADE YOUR EXPERIENCE
• Customize each player’s area with awesome digital “playmats”, similarly to how you are probably rolling out full art playmats on your game table in real life.
• Comes with five free digital playmats
• Additional digital playmats can be unlocked via in-app purchases, including one that lets you import any photo you want from your Photos library. Thanks ahead of time for supporting Moxtopper through these must-have upgrades!
• In addition to the playmats, there are two straightforward themes in bold colors, one in a light theme and the other in a dark theme.
OTHER COOL FEATURES
• Keep track of in-game numbers like commander tax, infect, storm, experience, energy, mana pools, and more using the player options menu (swipe down on your player to see these options).
• Stream your game locally via AirPlay to a compatible Apple TV by enabling Screen Mirror and using the app like you normally would. Great for going top-eight at your Local Game Store!
• Share and remember your splashiest games with cool charts that show the roller coaster ride of life totals as they change over the course of a game. Requires iOS/iPadOS 16 or later.
• Save time by high-rolling to see who plays first with just a single tap.
• Bling out your homescreen with a bunch of alternate app icons.
• Unlock secret free playmat sets via promo codes from your favorite Magic: the Gathering content creators.
WHAT IS “COMMANDER”?
Just in case you didn’t already know, in the “Commander” format of Magic: the Gathering, you and your friends battle each other with legendary creatures, huge decks of crazy cards, making splashy plays until there’s only one player left standing.
• Fixed an issue that caused the color picker to become unusable.
Ratings and Reviews
Best UI to track commander damage
As of this writing, this has the best and most intuitive UI to keep track of commander damage. The life counter works great as well.
It does not track other situations like poison or experience counters. However, after trying other apps that do track such things, all of the other apps I tried could not keep track of Commander damage well or had UI glitches. So, for now, this app wins.
Damage tracking bug
Super slick app and my playgroup loves it. However, it has a critical and fundamental issue - if you have the option enabled to auto subtract life when applying commander damage, the actual commander damage reverts to zero in some unpredictable way.
To be clear, we will swipe to assign commander damage. Add 4 points of damage using the controls for the attacking commander. Go back to the main screen and see the life total has been appropriately reduced.
But then, at some later time, when applying damage from that same commander to that same player, the existing commander damage will read 0.
This maybe isn’t a bug in the default mode where you need to subtract all damage from health and then also record how much of it was done by the commander. Not sure, because we haven’t used that mode.
It’s a shame that we can use this really nice app for total health pool tracking but it is useless for tracking commander damage.
I love it!!!
I played a few games with my dad and a few with my friends and it worked perfectly! Everybody loved it! I asked them all why they loved it so I could write this review easier, and the principal ideas that were most popular were
1. Being able to track two different commander damages at one time
2. Being able to track commander damage at all!
That’s right, I haven’t found any app better at tracking commander damage!
This app is AMAZING! It even gives you a tutorial! It is easy to use and you can even be able to change your theme!
Thank you for the great app
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nice Boy LLC
- 57.7 MB
- Requires iOS 17.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 17.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 14.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2023
- In-App Purchases
- Big Moods Playmat Set $0.99
- Custom Playmats $4.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.