The MT. LEMMON SCIENCE TOUR provides a fascinating, family-friendly audio guide for the ride up the scenic Catalina Highway to the top of Mt. Lemmon, the highest peak in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson, Arizona.
Produced by the University of Arizona College of Science, the Tour engages users with the surprising natural science of Southern Arizona, from the enchanting Sonoran Desert to the “Sky Island” mountains on every horizon. With music by the band Calexico, the Tour is narrated by Calexico frontman Joey Burns.
Along with the audio tour, the app also includes slideshows and videos that visualize the science. Through science stories, the Mt. Lemmon Science Tour brings the wonders of this region alive.
• A narrated hour-long science tour in six sections with suggested vista stops along the way
• Graphic slideshows and videos for each section that visualize the science
• Highlights science and scientists from the University of Arizona
• Music by the band Calexico, narration by lead singer Joey Burns
• Section 1, SKY ISLANDS, explores the unique Sonoran Desert and mountains the mountains that rise above it to form islands of forest in a desert sea
• Section 2, ROCKS, explores the region’s Basin and Range geology and how the landscape formed
• Section 3, LIFE ZONES, explores the layers of habitat in the Sky Islands region – there is more biodiversity here than anywhere else in the United States
• Section 4, WATER, explores the key role of water in landscape formation and habitat, and they Arizona Monsoon that brings the region half of its annual rainfall.
• Section 5, FOREST, explores the natural systems that make it possible for pine forests to grow in a desert region, and how all the natural systems connect.
• Section 6, FIRE, explores how fire in the ecosystem has changed due to human influences, and how fire connects with the Carbon Cycle that enables life on Earth.
• The EXPLORE MORE screen provides links to other Geotourism opportunities around Tucson, Arizona
If you have questions or feedback, please email the University of Arizona College of Science at firstname.lastname@example.org
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Bug fixes, SDK updates
Ratings and Reviews
I am so glad my mom and I downloaded this on the way up to Mount Lemmon! It was perfectly timed and really had a nice overview of the ecosystems and environmental anomalies of the southern arizona climate! We are both well educated adults and still found it very entertaining as it walks you through the area’s geology, forestry, animal life, and conservation efforts. Is wonderful for all ages and made our drive up Mount Lemmon all the more enjoyable. There is nice background music and amazing recommendations as to where you should stop and look around. Thank you to the creators of this app!
Educational and entertaining tour to Mt. Lemmon
We recently discovered another app used for National and state parks. Searched for one in the Tucson area and this one popped up. It did not disappoint! My husband is a retired Forester-the science is presented for the lay person to enjoy in an entertaining way. He learned as much as I did. It includes historic details including how Mt. Lemmon got its name. We started it at the recommended location and it perfectly matched our ascent up the mountain.
Detail Mount Lemmon Tour App
The App gives you a very scientific and well spoken tour as you make your drive up Mount Lemmon, AZ. It makes a grear tour guide if it’s your first time up the mountain or even if you been up there many times like myself. I highly recomend this App as a tour guide for you and the people who are driving aling with you. You can play the app on your car radio and enjoy the awesome scenery.
The developer, University of Arizona, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- University of Arizona
- 97.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- ©2024, Arizona Board of Regents on behalf of the University of Arizona.