MultitrackStudio turns your iPad into a digital multitrack music recording studio. You can record, edit and mix audio and MIDI tracks. Both "one man band" recording, adding tracks one at a time, and live multitrack recording are supported.
Both audio and MIDI tracks can be edited. MIDI editing features include pianoroll, drum, score and pattern editors. Tempo and time signature can change throughout the song.
MultitrackStudio for iPad comes with many high quality audio effects including a guitar amp simulator. MIDI instruments include GM-compatible MultitrackStudio Instruments, SoundFont Player and Matrix Sampler. External (hardware) synths can be used as well.
AUv3 audio effects, instruments and MIDI effects are supported, so 3rd party apps can integrate into MultitrackStudio.
The straightforward user-interface has been designed with tape-based recording in mind. It's easy to use yet powerful.
• Up to 16 audio/MIDI tracks, audio tracks can be mono or stereo.
• Editors: audio, pianoroll, drum, score, MIDI patterns, MIDI controllers, tempo/time signature and song.
• One effect return section.
• One master section.
• Three effect slots per mixer section (two for MIDI tracks).
• Audio Effects: Automated Fader, Chorus, Compressor, DeEsser, Echo, EQ, Flanger, Guitar Amp, Master Limiter, Noise Gate, Phaser, Reverb, Rotor, Saturator, Stereo Imager, Tremolo, Tuner and Vibrato.
• MIDI instruments: MultitrackStudio Instruments (General MIDI compatible), SoundFont Player, Matrix Sampler, up to four Virtual MIDI Apps and one CoreMIDI output device.
• MIDI Effects: Arpeggiator.
• Supports Audio Unit effects and instruments and MIDI effects (the latter require iOS 12).
• Supports Inter-App Audio effects and instruments.
• Supports Audiobus (acts as output in Audiobus app).
• Supports MPE and MIDI 2.0 (MIDI 2.0 requires iPadOS 14)..
• MIDI sources: onscreen keyboard (keyboard, chords, drum, matrix and various string layouts) and one CoreMIDI input device. Supports Bluetooth LE MIDI.
• Supports Bluetooth audio output.
• Audio sample rate: 44.1 or 48 kHz.
• Imports .wav, .aif, .mp3, .mid and various other audio file types.
• Exports .wav and .mid files.
• Import/export audio/MIDI via Document Picker, Copy/paste, iTunes File Sharing, AudioShare or email.
• Imports/exports .zip file containing all files needed to open song, compatible with MultitrackStudio for Windows/macOS.
• Lyrics/chords prompter and editor.
• Also works with mouse/trackpad/keyboard (requires iPadOS 13.4).
The Pro Extension (available as in-app purchase) adds these features:
• Up to 64 tracks.
• Up to 3 extra Effect Slots. (*)
• Up to 3 extra Effect Returns. (*)
• Up to 8 Groups. (*)
• Multichannel audio playback. (*)
• Mixer and effect automation.
• Audio pitch shifting in track editors.
• Time stretching in track editors.
• Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
• Stretch and Stretch Accelerando in tempo editor.
• Multi MIDI Editor (edit multiple tracks in a single editor)..
• Create new song using current as template.
• Convolutor effect with Vintage Reverbs.
• Load custom speaker IR in Guitar Amp.
• Dynamics effect, supports sidechaining.
• Multiband Compressor effect.
• Phase Inverter effect.
• Transposer effect.
• Vocal Tuner effect.
(*) Limited by iPad screen size. There's just one additional space on iPad smaller iPads. 10.5" iPads have two spaces, 12.9" iPads have three spaces.
An Effect Slot, an Effect Return and the Output Selector (for groups and multichannel playback) take one space each.
• Track editor COPY / PASTE buttons now use iPadOS General PasteBoard. You can now copy/paste audio/MIDI between MultitrackStudio for iPad and MultitrackStudio on a Mac using Universal Clipboard.
• Removed "Copy to General PasteBoard" / "Paste from General PasteBoard" from track editor Copy / Paste menus (the COPY / PASTE buttons themselves do that now).
• 'Export MultitrackStudio Song' / 'Import Song' now have Copy / Paste options respectively. You can now copy/paste songs from Mac to iPad and vice-versa using Universal Clipboard.
• 'Import SoundFont' now has Paste option. You can now copy/paste from Mac to iPad using Universal Clipboard.
• Import/Export dialogs: 'General Pasteboard' options have been renamed to Copy or Paste.
• 'Export Presets' has 'Copy' option.
• 'Export MIDI Tracks' an 'Export Mix' now have 'Name' box.
• 'Export Mix' now has 'Type' en 'Quality' settings. The Pro Extension adds a 'Sample rate' setting.
• External MIDI Instrument: options menu has 'Import' option for patchmap files.
• Missing instrument or MIDI effect plugins are now remembered as 'substitutes'. This makes moving songs back and forth between devices easier. You can replace the Missing Instrument / Missing MIDI Effect placeholder with something you have.
When the song is back on the original device you can load the substitute using the instrument/MIDI effect's options menu. Not available for External MIDI Instruments, Virtual MIDI Apps or IAA Apps.
• There's now just one message dialog if multiple plugins or SoundFonts are missing while loading a song.
• Mixer sections can have up to 3 additional audio effect slots, depending on screen size. (requires Pro Extension)
• There can one more Effect Return on 10.5" or larger iPads (12.9" iPads had this already). (requires Pro Extension)
• .midi and .kar files can be imported, pasted or dropped.
• Fixed: error when tapping a crashed AU effect's Reload button twice quickly.
• Fixed: layout issues with iPad Mini 2021.
Ratings and Reviews
Better than most
I own about 6 iOS DAWS. This app has several advantages but some shortcomings. The UI is somewhat quirky in that it is not all that intuitive. Takes a while to get the hang of it. The biggest advantage, for me , over similar apps is the piano roll editor. Moving and editing midi notes is extremely easy and well designed. However, there are two features I’d like to see added. It would be helpful if, when adjusting note velocity, one could hear the sound change similar to what GarageBand offers. Also, I’d like to be able to import a midi file and be able to change the key of the song.
Developer Response ,
The Pro Extension IAP includes a Multi MIDI Editor which would let you transpose all MIDI tracks in one go. Without that you have to transpose the tracks one at a time (first do "select all", then tap the EDIT button and use the Transpose setting).
The perfect iPad DAW for me.
Amazingly functional and stable DAW that is the perfect tool for any serious recording projects on the iPad. So many powerful features. I've bought all the major iPad DAWs, and they all have their strengths, but this one is the one I love to use. It fits me perfect. It does it's job very well without interrupting my creative workflow with buggy behavior - the way a DAW should be. I like the simple GUI which is not only well thought out, but so quick to use once you get the hang of it (and easy to learn I must add). I only wish I had bought this DAW first, it would have save me time, money, and frustration. I'm so impressed and happy with this app I bought the pro extension, even though I didn't need it, just to support the dedicated developer. I also appreciate that this app can run on my older iPad (iOS 10). I am recommending MTS to my recording buddies as the best iPad DAW to get.
Feature Rich, Solid, For Pros, The Best on iOS
You won’t be able to match this app feature for feature with anything else in iOS. Learn the interface and you will be addicted.
This is a secret jewel. Get the pro extension and you will never look back. This app has possibly the best punch-in features available. Internal sampling is a breeze. Time stretch, multiple time signatures and tempos, convolution reverb, guitar amp, fully IAA, AU, and AUv3 compatible. MIDI routing, internal keyboard, chord pads, guitar fretboard, and more.
Smooth real-time scrubbing with midi and audio!
Time signature and tempo mapping.
A song editor that easily operates across all tracks. A midi editing interface that offers access TO ALL MIDI TRACKS AT ONCE.
It even features notation!
Look at the size of the app. A fraction of the size of other DAWS with twice the feature set. It must be written in magic.
If you do more than cut up pieces of other people’s music and glue them together you will certainly benefit from this app. Kudos Geil Bremmers!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Giel Bremmers
- 17.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2001-2022 Bremmers Audio Design
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Extension $24.99