Many conditions affecting our health are caused by a combination of our environment, our behaviors, and our genes. While we can alter some factors in our lives to reduce our chances of developing different diseases (e.g., not smoking cigarettes), the contribution from our genetic risk encoded by our DNA remains with us throughout our lives. Importantly, this genetic risk can be offset by healthy behaviors. Scientists are still trying to determine the entirety of genetic factors that influence disease, but for some conditions it has been shown that the factors identified thus far can begin to identify people at high to low genetic risk. Looking across your genome, we can calculate your cumulative genetic risk score – which can be used to rank your genetic risk compared to the other worldwide populations. This app allows you to determine your genetic risk, and view how behavior changes can offset that risk.
The goal of this study is to determine how your genetic risk influences health decisions and other things that can be controlled in life. Our first genetic risk score is calculated for coronary heart disease (CAD). CAD ultimately leads to heart attacks, heart failure and sometimes sudden cardiac death and is the main reason heart disease remains as the number one cause of death worldwide. Other researchers have shown that this genetic risk score can be used to identify people with low, intermediate, and high risk for coronary heart disease. It has also been shown that the use of statins (cholesterol lowering drugs) provides greater benefit and protection against heart attack for people with high genetic risk for coronary artery disease. It has also been shown that healthy behaviors can offset genetic risk for CAD – even for high risk individuals.
- Calculate and provide you with your estimated genetic risk for coronary heart disease (CAD) compared to other worldwide populations.
- Calculate how your genetic risk can be offset by healthy behaviors.
- Provide your Health App data to evaluate changes in behavior after receiving genetic risk information.
- This app will be expanded to calculate your genetic risk for other diseases in the future.
Receive notifications and reminders about:
- Completing surveys.
- Availability of new genetic risk scores.
- News about other research of interest.
To join this study, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Allow us to access to your genetic data
The app currently only supports genetic data obtainable through 23andMe. Thus, only 23andMe customers are currently eligible. However, the app will be expanded to accept other forms genetic data sources in the future.
- Updated risk score and calculation pipeline
- New UI
- Spanish language
- Genetic counseling option
Ratings and Reviews
I joined nearly a week ago, it says it will take a couple hours to get my coronary artery disease risk, and still nothing. Has this app just stopped its functionality?
Takes days, but did get some useful information
The password rules are not clear as others have stated. I ended up using 15 characters with just upper and lowercase letters and numbers.
Results took 4 days/2 working days.
The score seems in the right ball park given my family history and blood chemistry numbers. What's interesting is to see some statistics about how a healthy lifestyle, statins can bring you closer to someone with lower genetic risk.
Hopefully someday there will be very targeted instructions based on individual DNA, one of the reasons I handed over my data.
Please fix the login issue
The concept is amazing, and I can’t wait to see my results- once I’m able to log into 23andMe! The “sign in with Google” link doesn’t seem to be working at all, so it’s been frustrating. Please fix!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- The Scripps Research Institute
- 14.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © The Scripps Research Institute
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.