myTracks turns your iPhone or Apple Watch into a fully functional GPS logger. The GPS recordings can be displayed on different maps, which are also available without an internet connection if required. During a recording you can place and name waypoints to mark important locations. In addition to the waypoints, you can also take photos in myTracks, which are then assigned directly to the GPS track. The GPS tracks are stored exclusively on your iPhone, which means you don't have to register or log in anywhere. If you want, you can sync all your GPS tracks between your devices (iOS and macOS) via iCloud.
You can start and stop GPS recordings individually or use the energy-saving diary mode, where myTracks automatically creates a single track with the most important positions for each day. You can conveniently manage the GPS tracks in the track library. From there you can export the tracks or the associated photos, e.g. by e-mail and publish them on social networks.
The integrated Apple Watch app shows information about the current GPS recording. This includes the start time, distance covered, current, minimum and maximum altitude and the current map section. The GPS recording of the iPhone can be started and stopped via the Apple Watch and waypoints can be added. Since myTracks 5 you can also record directly with the Apple Watch.
Features of myTracks:
- Record GPS tracks with iPhone or Apple Watch
- Display of the tracks on various maps
- Optionally, the maps are also available offline, i.e. no internet connection is required.
- Waypoints and photos can be added to the track during a GPS recording.
- GPS tracks can be sent via email.
- Photos can be emailed or posted on social networks.
- The GPS tracks can be sent as GPX, KML, KMZ or ZIP files or opened in other apps.
- Recorded GPS tracks can be synced to Mac.
- GPS tracks and photos can be synced via iCloud.
- Apple Watch app including recording function
- myTracks is ad-free
In principle, myTracks can be used free of charge. However, some features require a premium subscription.
Continued use of the GPS function (even in the background or on standby) can dramatically reduce battery life.
New in myTracks 8.0.5:
- You can now move multiple tracks to another folder.
- Watch App: You can create waypoints during a recording
- Log messages can be exported more easily
- Better detection of previous purchases.
New in myTracks 8.0.4:
- Bug fix: When two photos were added to the same track point, the first photo could be lost.
New in myTracks 8.0.3:
- OSM vector map: When loading the offline map, you can now choose whether the contour lines and hill shading should also be loaded.
- Bug fixes
New in myTracks 8.0.2:
- OSM vector map supports larger offline areas
New in myTracks 8.0.1:
- Bug fixes
New in myTracks 8.0.0:
- New OpenStreetMap based vector map including public transport, contour lines, hillshades, bicycle routes, ski pistes, configurable POIs, and many more.
- Colors and symbols for waypoints.
- New business model. Instead of several individual in-app purchases there is only a single subscription for all premium features. You already bought some in-app purchases? No worry! Every customer with at least one in-app purchase can use all premium features.
New in myTracks 7.3.1:
- Bug fixes
New in myTracks 7.3.0:
- Italian localization
New in myTracks 7.2.2:
- Sharing of tracks of selected folders
New in myTracks 7.2.1:
- Traditional Chinese Localization
- The share button in Track Edit mode is back.
- Bug fix when both using "Smoothing Track Recording" and "Time interval > 1s"
- Bug fix: imported tracks from GPX files are now save correctly.
- Bug fix: Diary recordings have not been saved in some situations.
New in myTracks 7.2.0:
- Smoothing of GPS recordings
- Only record when iPhone is in motion
- Siri shortcuts to start and stop recordings
Ratings and Reviews
Use it only to track where I drive. But I noticed that it doesn’t let me track all my driving on one map; every time I stop recording and start again it creates another file and separates my tracks, which is not what I want it to do.
When I use the “pause recording” function to solve this, the recording stops but the timer continues...so the timer would constantly be running on my phone while I’m not using it.
A resolution to these simple things would make this app fantastic.
I’ve used this app everyday for the past 2-3 months.
I was hesitant at first because I did see some negative reviews, especially ones suggesting that the app suddenly stops working for them. However, I believe the development team has taken note of these reviews and problems and actually fixed them. Not only that but the app is free compared to many others on the App Store that do the same thing, and the only one out of at least 10 that efficiently tracked my vehicle. I use it to track my drives through neighborhoods and it worked perfectly everytime. I think the reviews are low because of past problems with the app, but believe if downloaded today that you will prob have a better experience with it. Would suggest the app to allow up to 3 files. Each that hold a separate map lined out wherever you traveled but only when you access that specific map. I use this app to build a map and keep track of all the roads I drive on. There is only 1 map already marked and if I wanted to track a run or use the app for any other purpose I have to completely delete my progress to start another. If the map and its track could be saved to reopen and continue to track later this app will be golden!
Worked beautifully – for a while
I was all set to give this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ or maybe even 5, when all of a sudden this morning it positively refused to work. Opened multiple times, each time to a screen freeze. But for ten days it gave very accurate plots of my walks (all in the 2- to 7-mile range), in real time etc.
I was going to inquire whether you were considering extending this to the GoogleMaps route tracking that do-no-evil removed… I have 186 maps of previous walks (in Italy) just waiting to back up on my website…
But question now moot until this is fixed. It may be an interaction with the mos recently issued iPhone system?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dirk Stichling
- 288.8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2023 Dirk Stichling
- In-App Purchases
- Extension Pack 1 $2.99
- myTracks Premium $4.99
- myTracks Premium $0.99
- California $0.99
- Florida $0.99
- Texas $0.99
- United States $7.99
- Arizona $0.99
- Colorado $0.99
- Oregon $0.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.