myTracks turns your iPhone or Apple Watch into a fully functional GPS logger. During recording, you can add waypoints to highlight important locations. The GPS tracks are stored on your iPhone and optionally in iCloud. There is no need to register or login to any internet service. Your tracks are your tracks.
You can start and stop individual GPS recordings or use the power-saving diary mode. Using this mode myTracks automatically creates a single track for each day with the most important locations.
The integrated Apple Watch app displays information about the current GPS recording. This includes the starting time, distance traveled, current, minimum and maximum elevation. Since myTracks 5 you can record tracks directly using Apple Watch.
Here is an overview of the main features of myTracks:
- GPS Recording: You record GPS tracks using iPhone or Apple Watch. There is no need for an active internet connection.
- Maps: The tracks are shown on pixel or vector maps based on OpenStreetMap.
- Offline Maps: myTracks provides offline vector maps for every country of the world. Once an offline map has been loaded to your iPhone you can zoom in to any detail of the map without an internet connection. The pixel maps also supports the download of offline maps.
- Track Organization: You can organize your tracks using folders, e.g. a folder for a year a folder for a holiday.
- Export and Sharing: Tracks can be exported as GPX, KML or KMZ files.
- Diary Mode: myTracks has a special recording mode called Diary Mode. Once this mode has been started myTracks creates a single track for each day. It uses a power efficient iOS feature called "major location changes". The Diary Mode can be switched on all the time without drilling down your battery.
- Search: Within myTracks you can search for addresses or special points (POIs).
- iCloud: All your tracks and the folder structure is synchronized between all your Apple device, both iOS and macOS.
- Apple Watch: myTracks contains an Apple Watch App with quick access to all major features and information of your recording. It can also be used for direct track recording.
- Track Import: GPS tracks can be imported to the track library from other apps using the GPX file format.
- myTracks is ad-free
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
New in myTracks 7.3.1:
New in myTracks 7.3.0:
- Italian localization
New in myTracks 7.2.2:
- Sharing of tracks of selected folders
New in myTracks 7.2.1:
- Traditional Chinese Localization
- The share button in Track Edit mode is back.
- Bugfix when both using "Smoothing Track Recording" and "Time interval > 1s"
- Bugfix: imported tracks from GPX files are now save correctly.
- Bugfix: Diary recordings have not been saved in some situations.
New in myTracks 7.2.0:
- Smoothing of GPS recordings
- Only record when iPhone is in motion
- Siri shortcuts to start and stop recordings
Ratings and Reviews
Worked beautifully – for a while
I was all set to give this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ or maybe even 5, when all of a sudden this morning it positively refused to work. Opened multiple times, each time to a screen freeze. But for ten days it gave very accurate plots of my walks (all in the 2- to 7-mile range), in real time etc.
I was going to inquire whether you were considering extending this to the GoogleMaps route tracking that do-no-evil removed… I have 186 maps of previous walks (in Italy) just waiting to back up on my website…
But question now moot until this is fixed. It may be an interaction with the mos recently issued iPhone system?
I’ve used this app everyday for the past 2-3 months.
I was hesitant at first because I did see some negative reviews, especially ones suggesting that the app suddenly stops working for them. However, I believe the development team has taken note of these reviews and problems and actually fixed them. Not only that but the app is free compared to many others on the App Store that do the same thing, and the only one out of at least 10 that efficiently tracked my vehicle. I use it to track my drives through neighborhoods and it worked perfectly everytime. I think the reviews are low because of past problems with the app, but believe if downloaded today that you will prob have a better experience with it. Would suggest the app to allow up to 3 files. Each that hold a separate map lined out wherever you traveled but only when you access that specific map. I use this app to build a map and keep track of all the roads I drive on. There is only 1 map already marked and if I wanted to track a run or use the app for any other purpose I have to completely delete my progress to start another. If the map and its track could be saved to reopen and continue to track later this app will be golden!
Use it only to track where I drive. But I noticed that it doesn’t let me track all my driving on one map; every time I stop recording and start again it creates another file and separates my tracks, which is not what I want it to do.
When I use the “pause recording” function to solve this, the recording stops but the timer continues...so the timer would constantly be running on my phone while I’m not using it.
A resolution to these simple things would make this app fantastic.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dirk Stichling
- 113.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021 Dirk Stichling
- In-App Purchases
- Extension Pack 1 $2.99
- California $0.99
- Missouri $0.99
- Arkansas $0.99
- Florida $0.99
- Texas $0.99
- United States $7.99
- Arizona $0.99
- Colorado $0.99
- Oregon $0.99