The Navajo Toddler App is designed for children ages 2 to 9 to learn to speak the Navajo language through the use of interactive visual flashcards, audio, and gameplay lessons.
The use of the app will introduce children to basic Navajo vocabulary in categories such as numbers, food, colors, body parts, common sayings, and animals. Children can flip through the fun illustrated flash cards for a visual association of the word and listen to the audio pronunciation of each word to get familiar with how the word is spoken. Once a child becomes familiar with the words they can play a visual and audio game that will give them three fun illustrations to choose from and one word in Navajo to increase there memory of words and pronunciation. The game is random and kids can keep playing an increase their knowledge of the language.
Learning Navajo is a fun and exciting exercise for your child especially at a very young age. With the Navajo Toddler app, your child will enjoy the attraction of interactive flashcards, audio, and the positive feedback and progression through gameplay of the play module.
Here's what is in the Navajo Toddler app:
• Develop basic vocabulary in Navajo
• Immerse your child through our use of a native Navajo speaker
• Form word relationships quickly with categories of content
• High-quality and fun illustrations that help increase retention and
How to play:
• Select a lesson or category.
• Swipe from image to image and tap on the image to listen to the
native Navajo speaker
• Have you child repeat the word in Navajo to practice pronunciation
• Watch as your child enjoys learning the Navajo language.
• Select play
• Listen to the native Navajo speaker say the word.
• Click on one of the three images that match the word.
• After selecting the correct word and getting feedback, a new word
and set of images will appear.
• Your child can keep playing and become more familiar with
each word and pronunciation.
Additional features and lessons coming soon!
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- various bug fixes for game
- support for iPhone 6 and 6 plus
- song section by Jolyana Begay
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I have had this app for a few years. I am half-Navajo so it helps me a little and my kids learn basic words. However, I just noticed (Jan 2020) that my app is no longer correct. Once the automatic update happened the words do not match the picture. For example, in the numbers section, it would say the Navajo word for 1, but showed 18. I tried to delete the app and add it again, but it did not work. This needs to be corrected fast.
Has basic colors and items. Clear pronunciation so words are easy to pick up. Though, I do wish the also had the English word to help my toddler associate more then just a picture. Also if the picture were itself animated with facial features, like a brain or door having eyes so that also made it confusing. But, Great and simple app for free!
Great but needs work
It’s great to help my son learn his language because I don’t speak it, but can you please fix the app? It has words and pictures mixed up (I.e. it will have a picture of a cow but be labeled as a dog, etc), so my son is getting confused. Also if you guys could expand it that would be great! This is the only app I’ve seen for this age group.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.