Long or short, here or there, Mouse sees shadows everywhere in Shadow Play! Help put on a shadow theater show, and discover how shadows change location, size, and shape. Through charming simulations, Shadow Play helps children explore the science of shadows.
• 14 levels of gameplay and exploration
• Fun theater setting for shadow puppets
• Aligns with research-based early science learning trajectories
• No in-app purchases
• No advertising
This app is designed for children to to strengthen their science investigation skills and explore the concepts of shadows as they:
• Understand that a shadow is seen when light shines on a surface and an object blocks some of that light.
• Identify objects that are blocking light and their shadows. Understand that the shadows of two or more objects can make a combined shadow shape.
• Predict where a shadow will be visible, given a light source, object, and surface.
• Understand that a shadow’s size changes when the distance between the light source and the object changes.
• Describe how the shape of a shadow changes when a light source shines on different sides of an object.
• Understand how a shadow’s length and shape change when the position or angle of the light source changes.
Shadow Play and the entire Shadows curriculum supplement from Early Science with Nico & Nor™ was rigorously researched and developed specifically for preschool classroom use. The Shadows unit contains two apps: Shadow Play and the Shadows Journal. Children and teachers use the Shadows Journal to capture shadows they find and make with photographs, scavenger hunts, and a matching game.
Each Early Science with Nico & Nor curriculum supplement combines traditional classroom activities with digital learning to promote young children’s engagement with age-appropriate science practices and concepts during circle time, learning centers, read-aloud book sessions, snack time, and outdoor play!
About First 8 Studios at WGBH
WGBH Educational Foundation has pioneered children's educational media for decades. First 8 Studios at WGBH is dedicated to carrying this pioneering spirit into the digital, mobile world. First 8 Studios contributes to research by creating mobile experiences to support the healthy growth of children from birth through age 8. At the heart of this work is a commitment to ongoing collaborations with teachers, parents, pediatricians, education researchers, and children to give them a voice in the digital media development process. You'll find evidence of the big hearts and little fingerprints of our partners throughout each Nico & Nor experience.
Early Science with Nico & Nor™ and the characters and related indicia are trademarks of First 8 Studios @WGBH. ™/© 2017 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This Early Science with Nico & Nor™ app was produced by WGBH Digital in Boston.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1316550. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NSF.
Added preview video.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.