Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
CREATE MEMORABLE MULTI-MEDIA NOTES
• Work with a variety of note-taking, journaling, and drawing tools like ink, highlighter, text, and audio.
• Explore endless ideas with continuous page scroll.
• Mark up imported textbooks, documents, lecture slides, class assignments, and images.
• Add photos, GIFs, web pages, and more.
STAY ORGANIZED, PAPER-FREE
• Always keep your notes with you, without the weight, the hassle or the paper waste.
• Group notes with customizable subjects and dividers.
• Quickly search handwriting*, typed text, PDF text, image text, and note titles.
• Secure notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH NATURALLY
• Ink is fine-tuned for the Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
• Create custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Quickly switch between ink or eraser styles with the Favorites Toolbar.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Replay audio recordings and tap anywhere on your note to hear what was said at that moment.
SHARE IDEAS IN PRESENTATION MODE
• Present ideas in full screen without distracting toolbars when connected to an external display.
• Engage an audience with all of Notability's tools including a Laser Pointer.
DO MORE WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes and Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, etc.
• Full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, custom fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so information stays private.
• Easily create searchable multi-page PDFs using the built-in Document Scanner.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability across iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Customize your note-taking experience in the Notability Shop! Explore an exciting array of content available for purchase:
• *Handwriting Conversion and Search (included with Edu VPP)
• Daily Planner
• Stickers, themes, and more!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** What's New in 10.4.3 ***
• Added line spacing options for text
• Added the ability to edit Math Equations by modifying the underlying LaTeX
*** Bug fixes in 10.4.3 ***
• Performance improvements when handwriting and loading larger notes
• Notes can now be deleted in the search results
• Fixed an issue where the wrong subject would be selected after starting Notability
• Images and text boxes are now properly deselected when tapping the escape key
• Several other minor bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
We rely on this sleek, powerful note-taker to annotate documents, record lectures, sketch illustrations, and more. With built-in iCloud support, it’s perfect for keeping notes, documents, and doodles up to date on both iPhone and iPad.
Syncing big files is very poor
I wanted to love Notability. It’s unique recording feature is perfect for lecture notes, and so I decided to give it a full month test, switching from another very well known note taking app and using Notability exclusively. The result, now that the month’s experiment has concluded, is that I’m switching back to the other app. Leaving aside all the countless comparisons and contrasts between these two apps, the deal breaker for me was that Notability’s syncing between iPhone, iPad, and Mac is awful. Any imported big file would only sync to one device, never appearing on all three. PDF imports were the worst—I would check literally DAYS later for a given pdf file to appear on ALL of my devices, only to have it stuck on the one device I originally imported it from. The only way to finally get some files to sync was to delete the Notability app and reinstall it, and even then it was only successful some of the time. As you might imagine, that workaround was beyond disappointing—it was incredibly inconvenient and completely untenable.
Don’t get me wrong: Notability is still a very worthwhile purchase. There’s a lot to like about the features and its ease of use, and I’ll definitely be keeping it as my backup. And I’ll still use it whenever I need to combine note taking with recordings. But until the developers fix syncing, there’s no way that I could ever rely on this as my go-to app for notes or creative projects.
Overall, A Really great app
Something that I really liked about notability was the simple and intuitive layout. This made it really easy for me to organize my notes and help me maintain order with my notes. Another thing that I really liked was all of the new updates that really helped with making things run more smoothly (i.e. the favorites bar, being able to search for key words within the notes themselves instead of just the title, and the magnifying glass).
Some areas of improvement would be being able to adjust the shape of the magnifying box because there are sometimes when I’m trying to edit a specific place and the magnifying box just doesn’t fit right. Another thing would be to be able to open more than two notes at once. This would come in handy for those to do notes simultaneously on multiple sections. It would also be cool if when your in portrait mode for the notes you have the option to be able to stack the notes top of one another instead of seeing them side. Then one last area of adjustment would be to be able to have a bookmarked notes bar like how there is a bookmarked pages (within each notes) bar. It would make jumping between two desired note documents a little bit easier.
Anyways, that’s it from me. Thank you for making a really great app. Totally looking foreword to what’s in store for the future of this app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 128 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Feel Good Journal
- Handwriting Recognition $2.99
- Back to School Basics Pack
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.