Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
CREATE MEMORABLE MULTI-MEDIA NOTES
• Work with a variety of note-taking, journaling, and drawing tools like ink, highlighter, text, and audio.
• Explore endless ideas with continuous page scroll.
• Mark up imported textbooks, documents, lecture slides, class assignments, and images.
• Add photos, GIFs, web pages, and more.
STAY ORGANIZED, PAPER-FREE
• Always keep your notes with you, without the weight, the hassle or the paper waste.
• Group notes with customizable subjects and dividers.
• Quickly search handwriting*, typed text, PDF text, image text, and note titles.
• Secure notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH NATURALLY
• Ink is fine-tuned for the Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
• Create custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Quickly switch between ink or eraser styles with the Favorites Toolbar.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Replay audio recordings and tap anywhere on your note to hear what was said at that moment.
SHARE IDEAS IN PRESENTATION MODE
• Present ideas in full screen without distracting toolbars when connected to an external display.
• Engage an audience with all of Notability's tools including a Laser Pointer.
DO MORE WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes and Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, etc.
• Full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, custom fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so information stays private.
• Easily create searchable multi-page PDFs using the built-in Document Scanner.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability across iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Customize your note-taking experience in the Notability Shop! Explore an exciting array of content available for purchase:
• *Handwriting Conversion and Search (included with Edu VPP)
• Daily Planner
• Stickers, themes, and more!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** What's new in 10.2.4 ***
• Introducing new toolbar icons
• Now properly scrolling to text boxes when the keyboard is visible
• Fixed a crash when exporting notes and with math conversion
• Improved support for pdf links
• Smaller minimum image size
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
We rely on this sleek, powerful note-taker to annotate documents, record lectures, sketch illustrations, and more. With built-in iCloud support, it’s perfect for keeping notes, documents, and doodles up to date on both iPhone and iPad.
Syncing big files is very poor
I wanted to love Notability. It’s unique recording feature is perfect for lecture notes, and so I decided to give it a full month test, switching from another very well known note taking app and using Notability exclusively. The result, now that the month’s experiment has concluded, is that I’m switching back to the other app. Leaving aside all the countless comparisons and contrasts between these two apps, the deal breaker for me was that Notability’s syncing between iPhone, iPad, and Mac is awful. Any imported big file would only sync to one device, never appearing on all three. PDF imports were the worst—I would check literally DAYS later for a given pdf file to appear on ALL of my devices, only to have it stuck on the one device I originally imported it from. The only way to finally get some files to sync was to delete the Notability app and reinstall it, and even then it was only successful some of the time. As you might imagine, that workaround was beyond disappointing—it was incredibly inconvenient and completely untenable.
Don’t get me wrong: Notability is still a very worthwhile purchase. There’s a lot to like about the features and its ease of use, and I’ll definitely be keeping it as my backup. And I’ll still use it whenever I need to combine note taking with recordings. But until the developers fix syncing, there’s no way that I could ever rely on this as my go-to app for notes or creative projects.
Notability is great...but not on iPhone
Writing a review of Notability is hard. On the one hand, I use it every single day on my iPad. I do a lot of reading/research for my job, so Notability has saved me from being buried under an endless pile of paper. I even pair it up with Scanbot so I can quickly scan materials in meetings and then have all my notes/handouts in a single place. Being able to search my handwriting is a game-changer! So is having access to my documents and notes everywhere, including my laptop, and having all changes and edits synced through iCloud. I’ve always wanted to go paperless with ubiquitous access to everything; Notability is my hub for that.
Which brings me to my chief complaint about Notability: it’s iPhone app is terrible. It’s nice to see my notes on my phone if I need to skim something quickly on the go, but basic functionality is missing. You can’t search a document, highlight pages, see all the pages in a document—if you’re looking for something, you can only scroll until you find it. That’s ok if you’re talking about two pages of notes; but if you are looking at a 50 page journal article trying to find something, it’s ridiculous. Competitors have this functionality on iPhones, but Notability has never added it. I wish they would! I also wish they would format text-only notes like Google Docs, adjusting text size for a given display without affecting the formatting.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 331.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Handwriting Recognition $2.99
- Back to School Basics Pack
- Math Recognition $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.