Number Frames help students structure numbers to five, ten, twenty, and one hundred. Students use the frames to count, represent, compare, and compute with numbers in a particular range.
The frames allow students see quantities as equal groups of other quantities and in relation to benchmark quantities. This helps primary students move away from one-by-one counting toward more efficient ways of counting and computing. As students advance, custom frames can be constructed to help visualize factors, products, fractional parts and more.
These virtual versions of number frames are open-ended educational tools, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use iPads.
Number frames are a key model used in Bridges in Mathematics, second edition. Online preview available at: www.mathlearningcenter.org/bridges
• Use standard 5-, 10-, 20-, and 100-frames, or create custom frames up to 12 x 12.
• Choose from a variety of counters and colors. Drag single counters — or stacks of 5 and 10 — into frames or on to the workspace.
• Apply a 5s grid to frames to emphasize every 5th line and reinforce grouping by five.
• Hide and reveal counters with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
• Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
• Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
• Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.
For more Number Line resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number line, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
This version has a larger workspace with zooming and panning functionality and introduces a fixed palette with additional drawing and annotation tools: highlighter, rectangular and round shapes, variable line thickness, and arrowheads.
Ratings and Reviews
Engaging and easy to use
Great app for homeschool! Kids love using the iPad so this app helps keep them focused during math lessons. Easy to figure out, and can be used with many different math curriculum. Free an no ads!
You NEED This if you use Singapore Math Strategies
Awesome! Very versatile for direct and/or guided instruction.
Great App for the Classroom!
This app is very visual, and coincides with ten frame work done in the classroom. More information about how the app works would be desirable, because the functions of the app are not all intuitive. Great for working with students learning about ten frames.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Math Learning Center
- 12.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 15.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.3 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 The Math Learning Center