Observe to Learn: Exploring Animal Behavior
Have you ever wondered what it might be like to be a researcher like Jane Goodall? This app lets you step into the shoes of an animal behavior scientist by conducting your own investigation! Use this app to study your favorite animals, anywhere, anytime-- at your local zoo, park, backyard, or even in your living room observing a family pet.
This free app, developed by the Hurvis Center for Learning Innovation and Collaboration at Lincoln Park Zoo, immerses you in the world of ethology (the study of animal behavior). Designed for users 11 years and older who are new to animal behavior studies, the app will show you how to study animal behavior using the methods that researchers use. You can start collecting data right away!
Most importantly, the app allows YOU to be the researcher of any animal you choose. You can use the default ethogram (behavior checklist) to observe any animal or you can launch a study of your own design by creating an original ethogram where YOU define the behaviors. Either way, you’ll end with real data that you can share with your friends, parents or teachers. You can even collect data over time for a long-term class project.
The Observe to Learn App includes:
• Background information on ethology (study of animal behavior)
• Default ethogram (behavior checklist) to study any animal of your choice
• Practice session to learn how to use the app to collect accurate data
• Opportunity to create an original ethogram with any behaviors for any animal
• Video to demonstrate common behaviors
• Formal summary of the data you collected in report form
• Option to email yourself the data in a spreadsheet format for later use and analysis
Lincoln Park Zoo is dedicated to connecting people with nature by providing a free, family oriented wildlife experience in the heart of Chicago and by exhibiting leadership and advancing the highest quality animal care, education, science, and conservation.
This app was made possible through the generous support of the Hurvis Charitable Foundation.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Bug fix for Indoor Observation.
Ratings and Reviews
Great premise. Can't enter data!!
I was excited to try out this app with our education and keeper staff. I can't get past the entry page for species, location and name. The entry pad stays over the entry blocking the next button. Please fix!
No cap Mitch died
Observe to learn From the Lincoln park zoo
I loved the app the first time I used it but I have been unable to load a new ethogram and this issue makes it difficult to utilize it effectively.
Please fix the issue!
The developer, The Lincoln Park Zoological Society, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- The Lincoln Park Zoological Society
- 19.6 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Danish, French, Polish, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2013 The Lincoln Park Zoological Society
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.