OODA is a fresh take on the classic MIDI step sequencer with interactive and semi-generative enhancements.
What makes OODA unique is that you can connect arbitrary steps together using conditional “wormholes” to add structured (or random) variation to your sequences. Another unique feature is that OODA’s underlying model is decoupled from its voices. This allows you to interact with your sequences and create melodic variations in real time without affecting your groove.
OODA’s open-ended sequence grid can be easily configured for almost any use case. Anything from simple melodies and bass parts to semi-generative chords and arpeggios, OODA can do it all with a little creativity!
- Record sequences up to 64 steps with the in-app keyboard or an external MIDI device
- Interact with your sequence on the fly using four “action” buttons
- Link together steps using conditional wormholes to create structure and variation
- Create complex patterns of melody and rhythm using four independent voices
- Change voice speed independent of sequencer speed
- Comes with ten factory presets to give you an idea of what OODA is capable of
- Explore a deep, yet focused set of parameters
- Sequencer Settings
- Grid size (4x4 or 8x8)
- Sync voices to sequencer rate
- Sequencer rate
- Sequencer direction
- Shift amount (semitones)
- Live toggle rests and skips
- Wormhole Patcher
- Conditionally “reroute” your sequence by connecting arbitrary steps
- Per-step wormholes
- Destination and normal steps per wormhole
- Trig conditions and probability for moving through each wormhole (see below for list)
- Voice Settings
- Four voices with independent settings
- Rate of play (in beat time from 16 bars to 32nd T)
- Includes unique note values based on the Golden Ratio for maximum generative fun!
- Length of note (10% to 100%)
- Variety of rules for selecting notes from active step (see below for list)
- Pitch offset
- Unique pattern control for creating rhythms and polymeters, now with step options
- Easily add holds, ties, accents (positive and negative), ratchets, and trig conditions
- MIDI velocity and channel
- Flexible Connectivity
- Use in a compatible audio unit host like AUM, or in standalone mode
- Control multiple instruments at once with five MIDI outputs
- One for all voices together, and one for each voice by itself
- Sync to the tempo of other devices using Ableton Link or MIDI clock (standalone)
- Send MIDI clock to external synths (standalone, experimental feature)
- Connect to Bluetooth MIDI devices
- Modulate OODA’s parameters in a compatible AUv3 host (audio unit)
- Eight unique MIDI CC outputs derived from OODA’s sequencer model
- Sequencer X, Sequencer Y, Sequence Phase, Action OR, and per-voice random
- Includes macOS app!
OODA can be used as a standalone app or as an AUv3 plugin. There are some important differences between the two. The standalone app features a simple, toggleable "Sidekick Synth" so you can quickly experiment with OODA. Of course, you can also send MIDI from the standalone app. Meanwhile, the OODA AUv3 plugin does NOT generate sound. Instead, you use it to send MIDI (note messages) to other apps, plugins, or hardware instruments that do the actual sound generation. AUv3 plugins must be used inside a compatible host.
Available Wormhole Rules
- Always, 1x through 7x, 2:2 through 8:8, 10%, 25%, 33%, 50%, 67%, 75%, 90%, Last, Not Last
Available Voice Rules
- Nth, Lowest, Highest, Random, Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, UpDown+, DownUp+, Rise, Fall
View manual: https://www.audiosymmetric.com/manuals.html
View tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Uka-nFom-pgTB-DftgDvA
Ratings and Reviews
Brilliant Midi Sequencer
I’m a huge fan of midi fx apps, especially the ones with some semi-generative features. Zoa (developers other midi app) is amazing, I highly recommend it, but OODA is even better. OODA is phenomenal. It’s my new favorite midi sequencer. This app is capable of doing so many interesting, useful, fun, & musical things. It’s easy to get chords, arps, bass lines, and leads all coming out at the same time. The main sequencer let’s you record a note, or multiple notes into any step, and then set several parameters. Then you have 4 individual midi lanes each with their own settings, patterns, adjustments, etc… to create tons of possibilities. The wormhole portion makes this thing even better since you can apply all kinds of movements, rules, and behaviors to the main sequencer. Honestly just buy it. I was on the beta and I purchased it on release day, which is actually rare for me. Usually if I am on a beta version, I don’t always spring to buy an app when it’s released, I wait a little. However I liked this one so much I had to have it. IMHO OODA is one of the best apps of 2022. Well Done Audio Symmetric!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review!
Seriously, what cmrucco said. “Just get it”
Yup, he’s spot on!
I play with lots of sequencers just for fun.
I treat them like MIDO Lego audio blocks.
This this is looking to be one of my favorite tools.
I’m going to dig in and definitely come back and give a proper review for.
But, yes, just buy it. It’s that good.
Load up a preset and hit play and have fun! Just have no expectations, dig in and start flipping buttons and pressing on the icons, stunningly interesting stuff comes out!
The more i explore it the more i get fascinated with it, that’s after just 30 minutes with it, yup.
One little teeny nagling thing, have it start, the first time on a fresh install, with a preset loaded would be, i think, helpful.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind review!
Fun sequencer but please add automation
This is a great little step sequencer. I really like it. The workholes are fun and everything you’ve read about the app is true. I would Love it if I could “record” and automate the Live performance buttons into a performance. The Bump hang and shift keys work well and I find myself wishing I could play my sequence and Record the buttons as I play them live. I notice everytime I play the app I think wow that was great. Shame I couldn’t have recorded those live performances in automation and export the midi.
Great app. Get it. Hopefully the developer will see the potential and update with even more features
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ryan Robinson
- 7.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Audio Symmetric
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.