Orchid Album makes keeping track of your orchids easy. Track development of your plants throughout their lives, on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch!
Whether you're new to orchids, or an experienced collector, Orchid Album is the ideal tool for organizing your plants, watering schedules, and notes.
Please note that Orchid Album does not come preloaded with any photos, nor does it include any plant care information and so forth. It only tracks information and displays photos you’ve added yourself.
Here's what you can do with Orchid Album:
- Record details about your plants, including botanical name, hybrid names, flowering details, fragrance, dimensions, and watering needs.
- Select from over 500 botanical names (with over 100 genera), or add new names.
- Track watering schedules for multiple plants, with local notifications.
- Track flowering, fertilizing, and other events for every plant in dated log entries.
- Create and edit log entry reminders linked to your calendar.
- Add and rearrange multiple photos per plant and log entry.
- Add text captions for each photo.
- Scroll through photos in a full-screen gallery view, or in thumbnail form.
- View your collection in table form, or by image.
- View the log history for each plant, sorted by date.
- Review statistics for your collection.
- Protect your data with a passcode lock.
- Database backup, restore, import and export over WiFi to your computer's web browser.
- Transfer the complete database between devices (iPad / iPhone / iPod) over WiFi via Orchid Album ODBI-format support.
- Supports iTunes file-sharing to transfer the database between device and computer.
- CSV format support to import / export your Orchid Album database to and from desktop spreadsheet applications.
- Orchid Report export feature. View your collection on your computer’s web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes.
- iPad support at no extra charge!
Please visit http://andrewnicolle.com/all_apps/orchidalbum for more information about Orchid Album, including contact details to ask questions, request features, or report any issues. Join the Facebook page to discuss Orchid Album with other fans.
Note: This update requires iOS 9 or higher!
- Improved iOS 14 support.
- Added support for Dark Mode.
- Added support for new devices.
- Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Very handy and easy to use
I’ve been using this app for several years in conjunction with the PC version. I find it easier and faster to do the data entry on the PC and then back it up to my iPhone app. It’s very easy to add genera, species and hybrids to the database. Very handy to have at shows to avoid buying duplicates.
I do not use the watering schedule because I have over 800 orchids and a full time job. Plus they are all watered the same so keeping track of this isn’t useful to me anyway. For easy access to your entire collection along with photographs, this app is well worth the very small investment.
A great phone app for the window hobbiest with a 1/2 dozen plants up to the serious grower with 100’s of orchids. Way too much detail to keep track of for every plant, but just use what features you like. Having up to two photos per plant stored in the app and not cluttering up your phone photo library is a great space saver. I’ve used the app over 5 years now.
Developer Response ,
Thanks, Bob! You can actually have as many photos as your device will hold associated with each orchid. Tap on the orchid from the main list, then tap on the Photos button on the top-right. From there you can add more photos and rearrange them by tapping and holding on the photo, then dragging to the new position. While only the first couple will appear on the main info screen, you can have others appear in those spots by dragging them into the first or second position on the Photos screen. This same approach also works on the Log Info screen.
BEWARE!!! All Data Lost — Backup Doesn’t Work
Orchid Album is the only app on my iPad that has ever lost data. This indicates that it is a problem with the app. My iPad OS automatically updates, so any app problems that occur during a system update are not noticeable until it’s too late, and data is already gone. Apple does not provide customer service for third-party apps with data stored in iCloud.
Considering the amount of information I stored in Orchid Album, I don’t find it reliable enough for an iPad that I use instead of a computer. For a permanent record, use Excel on a laptop — don’t waste time using this unreliable app.
Orchid Album instructions should say ‘Do not use this app as your only record. Neither Apple nor developer support data retrieval in case of app failure.’
Developer Response ,
I'm sorry to hear you have experienced data loss, however the app is enabled for iCloud backup, supports backup via AirDrop to other devices, backup via iTunes file-sharing, and backup over WiFi to Mac and PC. Your assertion that backup does not work is completely false! Of the thousands of installs of Orchid Album, I have not heard of any issues like this. I strongly suggest everyone backup all important data regardless of the app, since data loss due to hardware failure of any computing device is always a possibility!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Andrew Nicolle
- 8.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2021 Andrew Nicolle
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.