Welcome to Outline: simple yet powerful knowledge management app
Outline is an intuitive note-taking application for OS X with convenient structure resembling real paper books: notebooks, sections, groups of sections and pages help to keep order in notes, regardless of their complexity.
Outline is perfect for students, teachers, physicians, lawyers, executives and everyone who's daily life involves extensive note-taking of any kind. It can be coupled with Outline for iPad and
Microsoft OneNote, which makes notes multi-platform.
**Enjoy your notes**
Type anywhere on a page. Much like in a good old paper notebook you just do it your way, without the constraints of a tool! Limits are a thing of the past: arrange your ideas in Outline as they grow and populate the canvas, wherever they may lie.
**Organize your data**
The flawless organization of Outline visually portrays the hierarchy of your ideas. Create pages, sections and groups of sections within a notebook and have them customized to that specific subject. You won't get lost, but pleased with the simplicity of such structure.
**Make your notes awesome**
Use various formatting: сhange font size and color, apply styles and highlighting, create numbered and bulleted lists, tables and hyperlinks. Visualize your notes with associative icons - add tags, create To-do lists not to miss a thing.
**Attach files and insert printouts**
To collect related documents in one place, add them as file attachments. PDF files can be inserted as printouts for annotation. This way Outline becomes a universal tool for storing and working with your data.
**Protect your notes**
Sensitive data deserves special attention and security. You are free to choose where to store your data with Outline - locally or in your favorite cloud. Section password protection will keep your information safe using industry standard encryption algorithms. You have fine grained control when to automatically lock protected sections.
**Be mobile with Outline for iPad**
Get the desktop grade experience with this beautiful and powerful iPad app. You will find the same features in the smaller form factor. Do not forget to try inks!
NOTE: Outline for iPad and Outline for Mac are separate, though, fully compatible applications. In case you would like to use Outline both on your iPad and Mac, you need to equip your devices with the corresponding editions of Outline.
**Use with Microsoft OneNote**
Outline works with local OneNote files on your iPad or Mac. you can also synchronize with OneDrive or Sharepoint to can collaborate on notes with colleagues who use OneNote.
Microsoft OneNote file format support:
▪ OneNote 2010+ - supported
▪ OneNote 2007 - read-only
▪ OneNote 2003 - not supported
Microsoft Sync Services support:
▪ SharePoint on-premise 2010+ - supported
▪ OneDrive Personal - supported
▪ OneDrive for Business - supported
▪ SharePoint Online - not fully supported at the moment, you can access only top level site
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and stay updated!
Your questions, comments and feature requests are kindly welcome at our Support Centre: email@example.com
Editor Improvements and Bug Fixes
- [BIG] Text Editor now supports line and paragraph spacing. This is currently applied to built-in font styles and when you paste content from other apps.
- [BIG] Reworked logic of containers sizing depending on child content. That fixed some nasty bugs (like images overflowing container size in some cases) and added new functionality - table column width is determined automatically unless you explicitly set it.
- Improved page loading speed
- Mouse Selection from left to right worked incorrectly sometimes
- Internal copy paste of content from one-column table added borders
- Fixed problem that could cause section data file problems in some rare cases. The problem occured when user quickly added many images/files to a page.
- Opening attached pdf file with '%20' in its name opened containing folder, not the file
- Text after hyperlink occasionally got underlined
- App Crash when trying to delete table row if there is image in previous row
- Hyperlink detection has been be improved
- Text Alignment has been lost when copy from Safari to Outline
- Selection was not visible in tables with invisible borders
- Application crashed when single cell has been deleted using 'delete row' function
Sync and Merge Improvements
- Fixed promblem in merge that could cause duplicate sections
Other Improvements and Bug Fixes
- Disable adding new pages to a section that has not been synced yet
- Page exported to PDF has been missing some of trhe content in some rare cases
- [MacOS] Formatting menu has become diabled in some rare cases
Ratings and Reviews
Great App only missing 2 things for me to make it Awesome
This app is great, it really is. It will replace your OneNote app and give you back the power to save your notes where ever you want, webdav, icloud, dropbox, etc. Really great to have this instead of syncing everything to the cloud I can save the notes locally if I wish or to the network server at the office. The only two things I have an issue with is that you cannot set a custom font and size when you start a note, i have to manually change the font size, bold everytime, you also cant pick the type of font you want to use. Come on that should have been an option from the begining. The other one is that I cannot mark a note as a favorite so it shows up like in most used section or favorites section.
Other than the things I mentioned this app is really good and if you dont want to use the cloud and want more control of your data but like OneNote this is the app for you. Check it out, on their website they give you a free 14 day trial at least you can try it and decide if you want it. I tried for a few days and bought it.
Nice Features - Kind of Quirky
Within the app, you can’t move a section group to a different notebook. However, going into the folder system and dragging the specific “section group” - folder group into a new notebook works. Kind of odd. If you want to close a notebook that is stored in iCloud, you have to basically “Move to Trash” for the notebook. That is a scary warning, because all you want to do is close it. Reading the fine print however, states that "deleted cloud notebooks can no longer be accessed in t he app but remain in the cloud”. Isn’t that the same as “CLOSING” a notebook. It’s just the way it is stated that creates a little anxiety.
A few quirky things, but essentially the best alternative to using OneNote (Office365) for Macs, which will only store URLs on your OneDrive, so the notebooks can’t be backed up. Overall a nice basic OneNote without all the bells and whistles that OneNote has and that I don’t use anyway.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback!
Great note taking app! I can finally live without Circus Ponies Notebook
Ever since Circus Ponies Notebook closed it’s doors, my workflow hasn’t quite been the same. While Outline is still missing some of the features that made CPN stand out, it’s the closest thing I have found that fits into how I work best, and has the added bonus of MS OneNote integration and a mobile app. I’ve tried countless note taking solutions since the death of CPN, and this is simply the best solution for note taking that I’ve found that fits in with how I work.
I love the way Outline helps organize my notes, and with it’s integration with OneNote, I find myself using Outline to manage my work notes in OneNote. OneNote simply doesn’t allow for the level of complexity that I want with nested note pages, where Outline is a much more elegant solution when it comes to organization.
The search function is only OK at this time. It will bring me to the page, but many of my note pages are very long, so I have to hunt through the page for specific results. The Multi-Dex search from Notebook this is not, but it has seen some improvements since I’ve started using this as my primary note taking app.
One other feature I miss from CPN is the ability to throw tabs onto pages to get back to them quickly. It was the equivalent of putting a post-it note in a physical notebook that you could use to easily bookmark a page you need to get back to frequently.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- GORILLIZED CORPORATION
- 79.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Gorillized Corporation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.