OmniOutliner 3 for iOS brings structured writing to a wider audience with the introduction of OmniOutliner Essentials and adds highly anticipated features to OmniOutliner Pro. Try out both for free!
FREE TRIAL (AVAILABLE VIA AN IN-APP PURCHASE)
With the free two week trial, you can try all of the features of Essentials and Pro. After the trial, you can continue to use OmniOutliner to view documents for free.
ESSENTIALS EDITION FEATURES (Available via In-App Purchase)
- Dark Mode: OmniOutliner’s UI adapts to match your document's background color.
- Drag and Drop: Text can be dragged to documents. Rows can be dragged between documents or to other apps.
- Keyword Filtering: Filter the outline by a keyword via the new Filter icon in the toolbar.
- Simplified Inspector: Access simple document and text styling options via the redesigned Essentials Inspector.
- Improved Outline View: Row handles and Status Checkboxes now follow the row indentation level.
- Recent Documents: View recently edited documents all in one place, regardless of whether they're saved locally or synced via another service like OmniPresence or iCloud.
- Templates: Choose a template or apply a theme to an existing document using OmniOutliner's new Template Picker.
- Printing: Documents can now be printed via the new Print option in the Share menu.
- PDF: Send a PDF copy of your document using the new PDF format option.
- 1Password: 1Password integration is available for OmniPresence account setup.
- New File Format: OmniOutliner 3 for iOS adopts the new .ooutline format introduced by OmniOutliner 5 for Mac: a flat (zipped) file that is more compatible with third-party cloud sync platforms.
- OPML Mode: When editing OPML files, features not supported by the file format are hidden or disabled.
- Pro Document Compatibility: Documents containing Pro features are fully viewable in Essentials, along with an option to import a copy that removes all Pro content.
PRO EDITION FEATURES (Available via In-App Purchase)
OmniOutliner Pro 3 includes all of Essentials’ great new features, everything from OmniOutliner 2, plus all this:
- Focusing: A Section List has been added to give you an overview and focus on certain areas.
- Status Bar: When focused or filtered, a status bar appears to remind you that content is hidden and provide easy access to your full outline.
- Drag and Drop: In addition to text, images and other files can be dragged to documents.
- Filters: Create and save keyword filters. If you're syncing with OmniOutliner 5 Pro for Mac, you can also apply advanced filters created in the Mac edition of OmniOutliner.
- Optimized Inspector: The Contents and Text Style Inspectors now open in a unified view on smaller iOS devices and as a unified sidebar on larger iOS devices, allowing for improved access to inspector contents. When space is available, the Inspector sidebar now persists on the screen, making it easier to make multiple changes to your document.
- Outline Column: The outline column can now be placed anywhere in a multi-column document.
- Excel & Powerpoint Export
- Password Encryption: Add a password to your documents to secure them with AES-256 encryption.
- New File Format: While .ooutline files are zipped by default, package files are still available for scenarios where that makes more sense, like for version control.
- OPML Mode: Edit metadata for OPML files and set text encoding in the Document inspector.
For video tutorials and other information, please visit our website!
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support: you can reach us by email at email@example.com, by phone at 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152, or on twitter @omnioutliner.
OmniOutliner 3.4 for iOS introduces support for new features in iOS 13 and iPadOS and adopts Apple's standard document browser.
• Document Browser: OmniOutliner now uses Apple’s built-in file browser. You can sync your documents using iCloud Drive or a third-party sync solution, or you can continue to sync your documents via OmniPresence.
• Dark Mode: When your iOS device’s Appearance is set to Dark, OmniOutliner’s interface will now automatically switch to Dark Mode. Document styles are still based on their selected theme and remain independent from the system appearance.
• Multitasking: On iPadOS, work with two OmniOutliner outlines simultaneously in Split View, or open several files in multiple spaces.
• Thumbnail Previews: Preview images are generated and saved as part of the file when a document is edited. Existing files will not display a preview in the file browser until they are edited.
• Omni Automation: We've made a number of improvements to Omni Automation, including support for input dialogs and file output. For more details, see the Omni Automation Release Notes (which can be found in the API Reference documentation).
• OmniPresence: Downloaded files synced via OmniPresence are stored in a subfolder located in the OmniOutliner folder on your device. By default, OmniPresence does not download larger synced files automatically. Tap the OmniPresence icon in the file browser toolbar to view and download any missing files.
• Inspector: The style preview texts now reflects the selection instead of showing example text.
• Keyboard Shortcuts: The Left and Right arrow keys will navigate to Note fields instead of the previous or next row.
• Paste: Copying and pasting a collapsed row retains the collapsed state.
• Text Editing: Inserting a line break after whitespace immediately allows typing on the new line.
• Text Editing: Inserting a line break after whitespace does not select the rest of the line.
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support; you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 1–800–315–6664 or 1–206–523–4152, or tweet @OmniOutliner.
If OmniOutliner empowers you, we would appreciate an App Store review. Your review will help other people find OmniOutliner and make them more productive too.
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn’t hurt to try..
You can’t go wrong with trying out both versions, before deciding if its worth your money or not, for your personal uses. Essentials is good for those that don’t need anything over complicated, fancy, and don’t care for extra customizations. Just need a basic outliner, and that’s all I thought I’d need until I tried out Pro, and couldn’t go without all the extra tools that made OmniOutliner so much more worth it to me.
I’ve never gotten so far and finished an outline with my stories in a long time, until I got OmniOutliner. It makes the process much more easier and convenient do and move ideas/events and such around, or add extra long in depth descriptions, or add additional ideas to events and things that you want to remember, but at the same time, can hide it so it doesn’t disrupt the overall view and flow of the outline that you have.
Not only do I use it to outline and organize my stories, and ideas, but recently, I find that it works well to use to make an organized timeline of events as well with the use of columns that the Pro version allows. Other timeline makers didn’t really fit what I wanted/needed (not even Aeon Timeline, that I got a refund for), but Omni surprisingly does the job well enough for me. I don’t know why I didn’t think to try using it for that as well.
Very Exciting App— esp. for the Pro
This is a magnificent accomplishment. Kudos to the developers ! I’m a text maniac, and have always had a fetish for outliners, the more elaborate the better— and this one is quite so. Drawing from my experience with the great DOS classics, such as Grandview and Lotus Agenda, but having sidled over to the IPad platform, I didn’t honestly expect to avoid lowering my standards. But SURPRISE ! For “style people” there is the very extensive customization possible. For “text and data people”, there’s the elegant addition of columns, as well as a prolific search and filter set of options, providing many interesting views of your outline. In fact it’s so good that its one big flaw, from my perspective is that it does not do a full text search on all of its files, say from two years ago, unless you load them in separately. My current workaround is to export every outline I create, over to the app called Outliner, which DOES search all its files. This means keeping two copies of each file, one for each app, but it does the job without too much fuss. My WISHLIST for OmniOutline includes building in this capability into their program, so it becomes standalone as a very serious text management application
What I did not expect...
I downloaded this only because of the free trial and an idle hour. I already had a cheaper alternative, but I am too curious about apps for my own good. I was determined that at best I might, just possibly, buy the standard version, if it was *really* good. Then I tried the pro features for several days, and I am going to have to buy the full version. I did not expect that.
Then I found something I needed that was not easy to do (long story, but connects to quite a specific usage scenario). I sent an email to support expecting to be added to a long list of possible future features. I got perhaps the most helpful response I have had to an app support request, providing me with a way to achieve what I needed right now. I did not expect that either.
I have spent a few days deleting apps, trying to get rid of all the pretty things that once caught my eye and almost worked and to define a core workspace for the foreseeable future. This app is now, unexpectedly, a part of that core set. It does just what I need. Thanks to the developers for making it, and for the excellent support!
- The Omni Group
- 150.5 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 The Omni Group
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial
- Unlock Essentials $19.99
- Upgrade to v3 Pro $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.