The Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE) with more than 150 years of research behind it, is globally accepted as the highest authority in the study and reference of the English language.
ODE is a valuable resource for anyone using English in an academic or professional context. Tailored to:
• Professionals actively using English
• Students preparing for ACT, SAT, IELTS or TOEFL exams
As well as anyone else who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
RICH CONTENT FROM THE AUTHORITY ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• The latest 2021 word database from Oxford Languages (part of Oxford University Press)
• 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• More than 75,000 audio pronunciations
• Special Topics reference content – easily look up topic-specific content
• Word-of-the-day – learn a new word, every day
USER-FRIENDLY APP FEATURES AND INTERFACE
• Favourites list - create custom folders with lists of words
• Recent list – review already looked-up words
• Word sharing - easily share a new word or definition you have just learned
• Home page – an intuitive start your journey into the English language
• Auto-correction option - correct the spelling of any word as you type it
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS
• Search autocomplete - displays predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup - search within compound words and phrases
• Camera search - look up words in the camera viewfinder
• Voice search - find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled
• Wild card search – use '*' or '?' to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
GET THE MOST WITH PREMIUM
Our premium app features unlock the full potential of the world’s best dictionary by providing you with the following:
• Unlimited dictionary use – unlimited access to the latest database with more than 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• Audio pronunciation – never mispronounce another word again! Available for more than 75,000 entries voiced by real British speakers
• Offline and Fast mode - access the wealth of the word database anywhere, anytime - no data or internet connection is required
• Regular content updates – receive updates to the word database, as soon as it is available from the Oxford University Press
• No advertising – enjoy an ad-free learning experience with no interruptions and distractions
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Oxford Dictionary of English offers the following auto-renewable subscriptions:
• Annual subscription for $19.99 per year
• Monthly subscription for $2.99 per month with a special first month price of $0.99
• The price of each subscription corresponds to the same price segment, which is set in the "Apple's App Store Matrix" for other currencies
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period
• You can cancel a subscription anytime by turning off auto-renewal through your iTunes account settings. This must be done 24 hours before the end of a subscription period to avoid being charged. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period, and you will be downgraded to the free service
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available features. This version includes several bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Oxford comes to you.
I've always regarded the OED as the be all and end all of English language dictionaries, therefore it has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, it may have been the fact that you need a magnifying glass to read the print in the two volumes of the standard print edition and that one was included in a little drawer in the top of the case! Of course, how many people do you know that have a favourite dictionary? Yes, I'm a giant geek/nerd. 🤓
Anyway, this app is as close as you can get to owning the physical version of the dictionary. It has all of the wonderful little details and assists that the print version has, of course, without the magnifier, though you can use the triple-tap option on your iPhone to magnify the entry if you need it.
The app is a bit on the pricey side, especially if you opt in on the translator add-on, but, as with the print version, the Oxford English Dictionary is worth whatever you spend on it. I love that I can look up obscure or unusual words and the OED has them listed! I truly loathe trying to locate the definition of a word that I've come across in my current novel and it's unavailable!! It then becomes a quest to locate the true definition, if not the etymological origins, of a particular word. Being someone who loves and collects words, the OED is the perfect resource for someone like me!😁 I think that the OED app is worth every cent that one decides to put into it.
So, what do I say? Splurge!!🤑
A quick note on the example sentences. It would be optimal if examples would be drawn from classic examples of good writing. Please watch your blatantly misogynistic language. For “mercenary”, the example sentence is “She’s nothing but a mercenary little gold-digger”. Seeing that the vast majority of professional “mercenaries” are men, it would be easy to come up with a sentence that does not viciously target women”. Perhaps we can refer to a business executive with mercenary tactics; there, it doesn’t even specify gender. I chose the Oxford English Dictionary (not American) because I wanted a definitive source for difficult English words. Interestingly, the strength of this dictionary is in colloquial American words. Although the name “Oxford” evokes the idea of old books and traditional education, if you read classic English literature by famous authors from the 18th or 19th centuries, you would be hard pressed to find definitions on this app. I found it terribly ironic that the Dictionary app or Google has more definitions than OED. I had the same problem with an American novel from the 20th century. It appears that the OED app is focused on modern newspapers and light fiction. I would pay handsomely for an app that has definitions for ALL non-technical English words; yes even the obsolete, archaic, and literary. I have no interest in reading blogs. I like to be able to read any book going as far back as Early Modern English, and find the definitions here.
Product great, pricing deceptive
The dictionary is superior. However, the distributor, Mobisystems, seem to expect payment for the “premium” version on each iOS device on which it’s installed by the same account holder. That’s a non-starter. Until they change this deceptive practice (they mention it nowhere, and “restore purchase” functionality only works on the “original” device) and end their extortionate price levels, I’ll use it on the one device and not deal with it further. Caveat emptor. You cannot pay once and use the app on both an iPad and an iPhone.
I have changed the rating to 4 stars, because there is still some trouble getting the app to restore purchases on additional devices. It required deleting the unresponsive download and a new download and installation.
Also, to be fair, the developer did respond to my original derogatory review by email, which sat unread on an unused server for six weeks. Their instructions for restoration, clearly well-intended, were not helpful. I had to fiddle further on my own. On the basis of the app itself and the product, this deserves a 5-star rating. An app that carries the brand “Oxford” however should not be flawed in terms of fulfillment in this way, I believe. I misjudged initially. There is no deception.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 66.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription ODE $2.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $9.99
- Annual Subscription ODE $19.99
- Monthly Subscription $2.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $4.99
- ODE 2022 Yearly 20 NoTrial $19.99
- ODE Annual Subscription Promo $9.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $5.99
- Yearly Subscription $19.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $6.99