Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of English language globally, with more than 150 years of research behind it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary database, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence is directly presented at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only).
LATEST APP UPDАТES
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood of your favorite color.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With convenient Home page, more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for.
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized.
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
•Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Oxford comes to you.
I've always regarded the OED as the be all and end all of English language dictionaries, therefore it has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, it may have been the fact that you need a magnifying glass to read the print in the two volumes of the standard print edition and that one was included in a little drawer in the top of the case! Of course, how many people do you know that have a favourite dictionary? Yes, I'm a giant geek/nerd. 🤓
Anyway, this app is as close as you can get to owning the physical version of the dictionary. It has all of the wonderful little details and assists that the print version has, of course, without the magnifier, though you can use the triple-tap option on your iPhone to magnify the entry if you need it.
The app is a bit on the pricey side, especially if you opt in on the translator add-on, but, as with the print version, the Oxford English Dictionary is worth whatever you spend on it. I love that I can look up obscure or unusual words and the OED has them listed! I truly loathe trying to locate the definition of a word that I've come across in my current novel and it's unavailable!! It then becomes a quest to locate the true definition, if not the etymological origins, of a particular word. Being someone who loves and collects words, the OED is the perfect resource for someone like me!😁 I think that the OED app is worth every cent that one decides to put into it.
So, what do I say? Splurge!!🤑
Product great, pricing deceptive
The dictionary is superior. However, the distributor, Mobisystems, seem to expect payment for the “premium” version on each iOS device on which it’s installed by the same account holder. That’s a non-starter. Until they change this deceptive practice (they mention it nowhere, and “restore purchase” functionality only works on the “original” device) and end their extortionate price levels, I’ll use it on the one device and not deal with it further. Caveat emptor. You cannot pay once and use the app on both an iPad and an iPhone.
I have changed the rating to 4 stars, because there is still some trouble getting the app to restore purchases on additional devices. It required deleting the unresponsive download and a new download and installation.
Also, to be fair, the developer did respond to my original derogatory review by email, which sat unread on an unused server for six weeks. Their instructions for restoration, clearly well-intended, were not helpful. I had to fiddle further on my own. On the basis of the app itself and the product, this deserves a 5-star rating. An app that carries the brand “Oxford” however should not be flawed in terms of fulfillment in this way, I believe. I misjudged initially. There is no deception.
OED’ Word of the Day Needs Complexity
Might you consider upgrading this “word of the day” automatic feature? Granted, I acknowledge the disclaimer that the word on every given day is randomly generated. That, however, is why the user can’t adjust it, not a fact that makes it impervious to the developer modifying the software.
The problem as I see it is simply, if you will, that the words are too simple. My experience with such novelties is that they highlight words not usually found in common usage, in order to expand one’s vocabulary. Your app, on the other hand, serves up a daily dose of hopelessly commonplace nouns and verbs; for example, “rodeo” and “nibble”, respectively, as two recent offerings. As such, the feature is uninformative at best and, unless one shuts down the notifications entirely, a nuisance.
The distinguished OED should expand the mind and the vocabulary of the educated user, not cater to popularity in pursuing the least common denominator among the crowd. Please consider this sensible upgrade to your software. Thank you for your attention to my concern, meant constructively of course as a longtime faithful adherent to the OED.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 250.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English $9.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $4.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.