Patterns is the ultimate tool for working with regular expressions. Build great patterns quickly and effortlessly with regex syntax highlighting, live match view, replace mode, built-in quick reference, and much more. Whether you're new to regex and ready to learn, or a seasoned regex wizard looking to save valuable time, Patterns is the tool for the job.
- Regular expression syntax highlighting makes it easy to see how your pattern is interpreted by the regex engine. No more confusion about what needs to be escaped.
- The Matches view lets you inspect all matches and captured text produced by your regex, alongside your search text. Clicking on a match or group highlights both the matched search text and the specific portion of your regex that produced the match or capture.
- See matches, replacements, and filter results in real time while you edit your pattern.
- Use the Copy Code feature to quickly export your pattern for use in a number of different programming languages.
- The built-in regular expression quick reference sheet helps you learn and expand your knowledge of regex syntax.
- Customize the regex engine for different regex "flavors". Supported flavors are: Oniguruma, POSIX Basic (BRE), POSIX Extended (ERE), Perl (PCRE), emacs, Java, Ruby, bash, grep, and sed.
- Native support for Apple Silicon
- Ability to quickly select and deselect different capture groups for copying of matched text
- Bug fixes and general improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Missing a way to save expressions for later
I want to start by saying that this is almost a perfect tool. As a programmer, I'm very impressed by this tool. It's a very convenient, intuitive, and beautiful regex editor. It's so easy to test the perfomance of capture groups and such. This tool is even able to handle the idiosyncracies of various programming environments. For example, a regex that works in Java might not work in PHP. This app takes that into account. Really useful.
So what's the problem? There's no way to save an expression (or the sample text for testing it). There is not even a way to open new tabs. If you want to start playing with a new expression, you have to erase the old. It's a shocking oversight for a developer that is clearly very talented.
Fast, effective for building or validating a regex against sample data
I love Patterns. Drop in some real samples I want to match against, as well as any false positives (things that are matching that I don’t want to match). Type in some fake ones as well if desired. Then build up the regex, keeping the handy cheatsheet up as necessary. I like the iteration it allows me.
Only things missing IMO are: 1 - ability to save a workspace, my #1 desire. I’d love to save both regexes and the samples I test it against, for later refinement or sharing. 2 - would like it to keep a scratchpad, a history of iterations. Would make it even more freeing to experiment, go back and forth, and recover complicated bits after working out another section of logic. Right now, to solve both of these, I keep a text doc handy and copy out my work (patterns and example text) frequently so I have a record of work.
I just wish…
I like this app. It’s so helpful to see the live results as you type. I use a lot of regexes, but mostly on the command line. I wish the regex choices included sed/grep/awk/POSIX instead of only programming languages. I’m using PHP because that seems to be POSIX. In general, it would be helpful to have POSIX BRE, POSIX ERE, PCRE, Oniguruma, etc as choices instead of only programming languages.
This hasn’t been updated in a while, so I’m not too hopeful. I’d definitely spend more money to get my wish. :)
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nikolai Krill
- 1.1 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 10.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Nikolai Krill
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.