PDX Bus is an award winning application that displays arrival times for public transport in Portland, Oregon.
** PDX Bus won Best in Show at the CivicApps.org awards **
This app uses the Internet to quickly access TriMet's live tracking data to display arrival times perfectly formatted for the iPhone. It allows you to bookmark frequently used stops, displays recently accessed stops, and gives details for arrivals which are en-route.
You can enter the stop "id" of the stop (as displayed at each stop or station) or you can browse the routes for the stop.
- Interactive rail maps, showing the MAX, WES and Streetcar stops.
- Embedded maps, showing locations of stops, and when available, the last known position of the bus or train.
- Use GPS to locate nearby stops or rail stations.
- Browse routes and stops, show an entire route on the map.
- Links to TriMet route information.
- Displays Rider Alerts, and Detours.
- A "Nighttime visibility flasher" - a flashing screen that can be used at night so that drivers can see you. TriMet suggests holding up a cell phone to make yourself visible to bus drivers.
-Trip Planning - now you can use the same trip planning feature that is available on TriMet's web site.
- Specially formatted text to work with the iPhone 3GS VoiceOver accessibility feature to speak arrivals.
- QR code reader to read codes at bus stops and stations
Route and arrival data provided by permission of TriMet.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Note: this free application was developed as a volunteer effort to provide a service for TriMet riders, the developer has no affiliation with TriMet, or Apple. Suggestions and feedback are welcome.
11.3.1 (January 2020)
- Small fix for maps if they are on the screen when the mode changes from dark to light or vice versa.
- Fix for the pull-down search in iOS 13, sometimes items at the bottom of the page were hidden behind the keyboard.
- Fixed the date picker screen in the trip planner - the date picker is now aligned properly.
- Added information for new 2019 vehicles.
- Completed changing the descriptions of the times from Arrivals to Departures. The times have always been departure times, even though the internal documentation often calls them arrival times. It is clearer if we refer to them as departure times.
- Re-worked departure and proximity alarms, improved user interface and improved accuracy.
- Several other small bug fixes and tweaks, including more information when a vehicle goes off route.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Has everything I need!
As a daily TriMet commuter, I rely heavily on this app. The features are easy to access once you learn your way around, and the data is completely reliable. Can’t believe the developer created this for free; it’s brilliant! Unfortunately I haven’t been able to use it for a few weeks, and have been trying to reach the developer for help. Just bought a new iPhone 11 thinking the problem was my old phone, but still can’t get the app to work. The TriMet website is horrible to use (they don’t even have an app for tracking/trip planner) and I can’t wait to be able to use this is a app again. The other available TriMet apps are disappointing, too - don’t bother!
Developer Response ,
Unfortunately it is hard to do customer support via the review process. It seems like a connectivity issue specific to your device, as I am not aware of a wider issue. I can try to look into it if you contact me with more info. Thanks!
Vastly Improved App
The app is much better than it used to be. I use it daily to identify where and when the nearest MAX train will arrive and whether there are any delays. The only issue I see is sometimes the app will show a train is coming or due, and no train comes. All if the busses and trains have GPS, and it seems odd that the app would not have 100% accurate location data. Having said that, this seems to happen very rarely. One feature I would like to see is the ability to set custom alerts, e.g. notify me 10 minutes before the next red line train is due to arrive at X station.
Great App with Hidden Features
I use this app multiple times each day during the work week. I really liked the flashing light to alert bus drivers during the winter time but it seemed to have disappeared. I read some reviews today and the latest app description and realized that it wasn't gone but just "hidden" in the optional settings that I never thought to review! I also found the ability to bookmark my stops which is very handy since I previously had a note on my phone with all my favorite stop ID's. I really do find the app to be helpful and pretty accurate.
- Andrew Wallace
- 13.5 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 and watchOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2008-2018 A R Wallace
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.