WorkOutDoors is the only workout app for the Apple Watch that displays a detailed vector map whilst you exercise. It is also the most configurable workout app, with over 300 live metrics, graphs and buttons that can be displayed in many different screen layouts. It's perfect for running, cycling, hiking, skiing, geocaching and much more.
Note: The app requires an Apple Watch.
The map is drawn using vectors, which means that it can be smoothly zoomed, panned or rotated, just like maps on the iPhone. The data comes from OpenStreetMap, which includes paths, tracks, cycle trails and much more.
Maps can be stored on the Watch for use when you don't have your iPhone or cannot get a data signal. And the price includes maps for the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions are required!
Interval Schedules can be created to assist your workout. For example warm up for 5 minutes, run fast for a mile and recover for a minute 5 times, and then cool down for 5 minutes.
The iPhone app provides detailed analysis of workouts; exporting of workouts; configuration of watch screen layouts; importing of GPX routes; and the ability to control the map areas that are stored offline on your Watch.
Workouts performed using the WorkOutDoors watch app can also be inspected on the iPhone by using Apple's Health and Activity apps.
WorkOutDoors includes many useful map and workout-related features:
- automatic map rotation according to direction of motion or the compass;
- a breadcrumb trail of your route;
- the map can be panned with your finger, and zoomed with the digital crown;
- a circular scale appears when zooming in or out;
- "map-only mode" shows the map without starting a workout;
- GPX routes can be imported and displayed on the map;
- routes are coloured in varying shades of purple: red for uphill; blue for downhill;
- POIs and route waypoints can be tapped for more details;
- double tap for a full screen map;
- many different screen layouts and text sizes;
- configure multiple data screens and cycle through them by swiping the display;
- configure what metrics are shown on each screen from a pool of over 300 live metrics;
- configure interval schedules (e.g. warm-up, run fast then rest x 10, cool down)
- manual or configurable automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- summary information, including lap splits, can be shown at any time during the workout;
- splits available for pace, distance, time, heart rate, calories, elevation and steps;
- interval alerts for distances (e.g. every mile), times, steps, calories, ascent and descent;
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable heart rate zones with dozens of zone-related metrics and graphs;
- configurable target pace/speed with fields such as distance vs target and time vs target;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map to show how far ahead or behind you are;
- 3 individually configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile, last minute etc);
- 28 different activity types;
- multiple types of graphical data fields: historical graphs, bar charts, trail maps and more;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation or to quickly show any settings screen;
- "Now Playing" music controls now available from a button within the app;
- workouts can be directly uploaded to Strava or exported as GPX files for use in other apps and websites;
- works even without an iPhone on watches with GPS;
- compass pointing north (which also acts as a button to control rotation);
- "start compass" pointing to your start location (tap it for distance to start);
- GPS signal strength indicator (tap it to see accuracy in metres);
- Battery level indicator;
- Geocache GPX files can be loaded (tap a cache for full groundspeak data);
If you own an Apple Watch and enjoy running, cycling, hiking, skiing, or any other outdoor exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
- Strava uploading can now be made automatic, direct from the watch;
- Extended profile graphs now available in iPhone analysis;
- Now includes Dance and Open Water Swimming workouts;
- Auto-pause available for more activities;
- Ability to configure repeated alerts whilst a limit is exceeded;
- New "Time in Zone" heart rate metrics;
- Improved skiing functionality;
- Minor cosmetic improvements to maps, graphs etc;
- Loads of other improvements, and a few bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Hands down the best running app I have used!
WorkOutDoors is hands down the best watch running app that I have used! I have run using Garmin for over a decade and really like Garmin. When I purchased my first iPhone I decided to also get an Apple watch. I loved the functionality of the watch, however was unimpressed with the built in Workout app. This led me on a search for a better app. I ended up testing TrainingPeaks, Strava, iSmoothRun, and WorkOutDoors. I didn't like the subscription models for TrainingPeaks or Strava. Multiple searches named iSmooth run as the best Apple running app and in the beginning it looked like it was going to meet my needs. However, as I used the app and started analyzing the data I realized laps were being displayed incorrectly in Apple health and the cadence it reported was simply wrong. I reached out to the developer who never responded. And then ... I found WorkOutDoors. I have never had so much power on my wrist. You can have 4+ screens, you can have 18+ metrics on each screen, the list of metrics you can choose from is in the 100's, you can easily build workouts, you can get alerted (voice and watch) if you are outside a defined zone (like heart rate or pace), you can get key metric alerts (voice and watch) by time and/or distance, you can download maps and routes to your watch and get alerted if you are off your route, you can reviewed detailed information about each run, etc.
Great app, even better customer service
I downloaded WorkOutDoors for the same reason most people probably do-it’s the most customizable, user-friendly workout app out there. I’ve been able to use my watch without needing to have a phone handy, and with the customizable watch faces, I basically have everything I feel I need during my runs.
I’ll say this however, earlier today (yes, today) the watch app crashed twice during a one-hour run which was really frustrating-I have been going through multiple different fitness apps during the last few weeks, and hate losing data. In any case once I got home, I wrote to the developer and he helped me fix the problem and address the issue directly. It’s by far the best customer service I’ve ever encountered, and he was able to suggest a few different fixes (sometimes iOS crashes the app when there are too many other apps open, or if I’ve run too much in the same area, something having to do with memory stored on the app).
I highly highly recommend downloading WorkOutDoors to anyone working with a heart rate monitor looking to stay in their zones during their runs/bikes etc. and anyone who’s interested in more than the normal data available with most apps.
I am a ultra long distance hiker (Camino de Santiago, Tour Du Mont Blanc, Japan Camino and many others). Until the Apple Watch 5 and Workoutdoors app, I could not justify making the switch from my trusty Garmin HR watch. However, this app provides all the info (plus much more) of the Garmin. And importantly, the battery life of the Apple Watch now allows me to make it through a full day of hiking without having to charge the battery. WorkOutDoors’ii user interface and ease of use is excellent. To date, I have only used the hiking portion of the app, but there are also many others, including running, cycling, skiing, etc.
One other point- I initially had a problem getting the app to record altitude climbs. I wrote an email to Ian at the customer support desk for WorkOutDo. Within 2 hours, he responded with the fix (I need to give “permission” for the app to get this info. Part of apples’s privacy protections, which is a positive). Ian was very helpful and friendly, and most importantly, fixed my problem.
Count me a very happy user of this app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ian Muriss
- 14 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Computer Client Services Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.