NOTE: Do not buy this if you have already bought the Vogel CMI App. Save money by using its in-App upgrade. If you are not sure you want the Pro features, buy the Vogel CMI App.
Experience music making ‘80s style with this awesome retro app, modelled on the legendary Fairlight* Computer Musical Instrument.
Preloaded with 500+ CMI Series II sounds and 100+ Series III sounds, for the first time a byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s.
This app includes the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can make music using tools like those used by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app is a part midi player, part creative tool and part history lesson – developed by Peter Vogel and his nerds who worked on the Fairlight CMI in the '80s.
- entire original CMI IIX Sound library containing 564 voices*
- 100+ selected CMI III sounds - play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard*
- Sample your own voices from the microphone or line in, then use them in your compositions
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad*
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks*
- 8 track composition using ‘Page R’ pattern-based sequencer
- create instrument sets that store settings for all 8 channels, including the voices, pitch shifts, volumes, release times etc.
- import/export voices, compositions, MIDI and instruments and exchange with others.
* These features also available on the lower cost ‘Player’ version of the CMI App.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
The CMI and PAGE R are back!!! This Fairlight app is amazing! It's the real deal - all the official factory sounds of a CMI IIx, with the option for the best of Series III sounds! It has some neat "easter eggs" and a TON of useful features. Even just starting up the app is cool - check it out. This app is very intuitive and easy to use, but still includes well-written and extensive help pages. I can't wait to try it out on the iPad 2. (Jaish Chada, Canada)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work, we recommend a minimum of iPhone 5 or iPad 3.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Ratings and Reviews
Who would have thought, back in the day, while most of us were coding on tickertape and punch cards, that some brilliant guys would put together such an awesome creature that had a touchscreen interface and played back the coolest digital samples. Something that impressed Stevie Wonder and Quincy Jones? And that a couple of decades later you could download a Fairlight in less than a minute? Never mind. I just spent an hour just going through the sound files like a kid in a game store. It's a piece of history and science fiction all at once.
A 5-Star-Slam-Dunk For Those Who Know
The Fairlight has always been something of a mystical beast: obscenely unaffordable while also being such a key element in So much of my favorite music: the combo resulting in the Fairlight being an electronic unicorn. Enter the CMI app: obviously not the real thing (which was never an option for most of us anyway) but a certain essence of said unicorn as translated to our beloved ios. I knew it'd be fun to play with but i didn't expect it to be AS fun as it is to get hands on with those iconic sounds and perhaps most importantly the Limitations that equate to warmth and magic: lo-fi samples but in a VERY specific Fairlight way (to me there's nothing remotely close to the feel of them) - and Page R being as beautifully bare-bones as it is (and always has been). (note: you might be shocked at how much creativity can result from sequencing in Page R). This is not an app for everyone and i can easily imagine how confused users might be if they're unaware of Fairlight legacy in general - but for those who know the history and have been in love with the nature of this machine this app will make you glad to wake up in the morning and will keep you up at night.
Wish there were more functionality
Would love to see the HARMONIC ENVELOPES PAGE 4 implemented someday, and a skin from the model III rather than I and II; it’s far easier on the eyes after a while.
I would like to see this app updated to the point where a modern brain could use it for music production for the use of its excellent sample library. I went through my vintage-stuff phase, just want to get some work done. Thank you!
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 111.5 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.