Pixely is the easiest way to make amazing pixel art.
"This is the best, and easiest to use pixel art app on the iPad. The UI is clean, the canvas is clear. This is the app I've been looking for." ~ John the artist, US App Store
"Perfect for everything I use it for. Money very well spent." ~ Chase game, UK App Store
"I'm super happy with this application so far... this one has the most features geared towards making pixel art that I need! The onion skin is terrific for making sprites for my game while I sit away from my computer. Keep up the fantastic work!" ~ WSDragon, Canada App Store
A feature-rich and friendly pixel art and pixel-level image editor made for everyone from the dabbling game art fan to the experienced artist, and anyone in between!
-- A Flexible Workspace --
• Edit huge canvases up 1024x1024 on iPad 2/Mini, 2048x2048 for iPad 3/Mini 2 and up, and 4096x4096 on iPad Pro 10.5 and up
• Adjustable canvas sizes let you change the number of columns and rows, with or without scaling - it's your choice. Unlike other apps, scaling up linearly (2x, 3x, etc.) will not distort your colors
• Bookmark up to 40 colors per canvas (50 on iPad Pro 10.5, 75 on iPad Pro 12.9) and create reusable palettes of up to 272 colors
• Helpful descriptions are available for every button and screen
• Undo/redo per canvas, 1x-120x zooming, toggle outlines, flip, rotate, and more!
• Pixely's Art Viewer allows for quick and accurate enlarged or tiled previews, with care taken to scale art proportionally, preventing distortion and unwanted color changes
• Use your canvases as layers or animation frames, each with their own opacity/alpha. Making layered art and animated GIFs has never been easier!
• But wait... there's also Apple Pencil support, onion skinning, mirrored UI mode, custom app tinting, and more...
-- Highly Portable Artwork --
• Load and save art files, which include bookmarked colors, with support for folders. You can also preview your files as thumbnails before loading them
• Artwork is continuously saved as you make changes, so you can focus on creating instead of saving. In fact, your entire session is restored when you re-open the app
• Import images captured from your camera or from Photos
• Import images that have been copied from other apps, such as Safari
• Import animated images as frames and export them back out as GIFs
• Export one or many canvases at once to your app files, Dropbox, photos, email, Facebook, and Twitter
-- Create & Curate Colors --
• Pixely supports every color in the 16 million, 24-bit color spectrum with opacity
• Start simple… select your colors from 234 evenly spread presets
• Go pro… edit any RGB/HSB color using sliders and brightness toggles
• Be consistent… create palettes of up to 272 colors that you can load, save, and share
• Import colors to get the exact shades that inspire you from your canvases, files, and images
• Quickly manage palette and bookmark colors
• Recently used colors are only a tap away
• Game Devs: Create a retro 8-bit or 16-bit effect by automatically color-reducing canvases to only use colors from your palettes!
-- A Dynamic Toolset --
• Flexible drawing tools allow you to create art using variable-size pencil, freeform line, rectangle, and fill tools, all with optional symmetry
• Shading (Burn/Dodge): Add or remove shading uniformly or randomly using any drawing tool
• Select, copy, and paste pixels on any canvas with simple previewing. Pasting is powerful in Pixely -- use copied pixel data like a brush to quickly paste selected pixels, or easily create patterns for dithering effects
• Replace Color: Change all pixels of one color to another color
• Eyedropper: Set the current color by selecting one from any pixel
• Shift: Reposition the art on your entire canvas without copy-pasting
We love using Pixely and want you to enjoy it as much as we do. Please recommend any features or report bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org, on Facebook, or @PixelyApp on Twitter.
Fixed a few more bugs that crept up when using symmetry.
Just more bug fixes; updated site links. The next feature update is coming later this month!
Ratings and Reviews
Good- Crashes are mostly fixed!
So, the app still crashes occasionally, but with the auto-save it’s essentially a non-issue. I’m not fairly certain that this is the best app available for pixel art on the iPad- and I definitely appreciate the developer response!
Overall, this is a nice, simple app that, while it doesn’t have some of the conveniences of a more advanced tool (eg selecting parts of an image, copy/paste, saving, and setting a color are all a little cumbersome) can produce images and animations that are a joy to make.
However, the biggest drawback (and it is a large one) is the lack of an auto save combined with frequent crashing. While editing large size canvases (over about 200x200 pixels) or using a large editing tool (the pencil tool on anything but the smallest setting) the app has a tendency to quit frequently and without warning. Since the app does not save work automatically, you will lose work even if you do remember to save frequently. At its worst, it makes work both extremely tense and maddeningly frustrating. Which is a shame, since most of the app is at least serviceable if not polished.
I’ll probably continue to use it, as it’s still the best pixel editing app I’ve found for the iPad, but the crashing issue is best to be aware of before you begin.
Developer Response ,
Update 2: The latest (v11) should prove even more stable -- at least according to the anonymous bug reports sent my way by iOS. Please reach out if you're still seeing sporadic issues. Thanks!
Update: As promised, version 10 was just released with continuous auto-saving. Again, thanks for the feedback and please reach out if you need anything!
Hi and thanks for taking the time to write a review! A few users have reported crashing problems and version 9.0, just released today, should help with that. If you experience any problems with the latest version, please reach out to me at email@example.com and I will do everything I can to resolve what issues are left.
Also, you can look forward to auto-saving while editing in a near-future update.
Thanks for both the critical feedback and the praise!
I used to use this app years ago to edit images at the pixel level.
Now, it DOES NOT allow loading photos from any photo album. This has to be the only graphics app for the iPad that does not access photos!!! That is ridiculous!!! Drag and drop does not work either.
This app has taken a few steps backwards. 😔😔😔😔😔
Developer Response ,
Hi -- sorry you're having trouble -- Pixely has always been able to load photos from all photo albums. Tap the + icon on the canvas bar and you'll see 'Import Photo'. Please consider updating your review with this information considered.
Also, drag and drop (and, by that token, split view) are slated for the next feature release (version 13).
Almost 5 stars
This app NEEDS to support split view on the iPad. It would be great to have a reference photo from safari or the photos app next to the canvas. Also 11 inch iPad Pro aspect ratio support would be amazing. Otherwise great app with desktop class tools
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to write a review and for using Pixely. Just to let you know, since your review indicates you're interested, split view support will be in the next feature release (version 13).
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out via email at help at pixely.app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.