play:Sub Music Streamer plays music from your Subsonic server to your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Chromecast device or Subsonic Jukebox.
Enjoy your music everywhere, anytime, in the quality you decide!
play:Sub supports playback of most audio formats like FLAC, MP3, AAC and more.
Lossless and gapless playback is supported, as well as crossfading between tracks.
Use the 10-band fully customizable equalizer to get the right sound.
The equalizer has presets for common genres and scenarios.
Apply crossfade and replay-gain for the perfect listening experience.
Browse your music your way, be it by folder, artist, album, decade.
Control playback using gestures, buttons or remote controlled from you headset.
Play on anything: builtin speaker, headphones, Bluetooth connected headphones/amp/speaker/car-stereo or AirPlay devices.
play:Sub streams your music over any connection, and caches songs for when connectivity is bad.
Played songs are cached automatically, and you can manually cache individual songs or entire folders, artists or albums.
• Subsonic, AirSonic, Ampache, Madsonic, Funkwhale, Libresonic.
• multiple servers can be confiured and easily switched between.
• Subsonic 4.8+ compatible servers should work.
• Dark and light UI themes
• All orientations, incl. iPad multitasking support
• FLAC, AAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4, OGG, WAV, AIFF and more
• Plays most audio formats without transcoding
• Lossless playback without transcoding
• Gapless playback
• 10-band equalizer
• Replay Gain
• HI-rez digital output up to 24bit/192kHz
• Variable playback speed (0.5-2x)
• Phone, iPad or iPod
• Artist radio.
• Artist top songs
• Similar artists
• Be inspired by random artist, album or songs
• Play random songs in a genre
BROWSE YOUR MUSIC ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT
• Artists, Albums, Songs
• Playlists, Favorites, Genres
• Podcasts, Audiobooks, Bookmarks
• Filter by Subsonic mediafolder
• Server configured / shared internet radiostation.
• 20000+ radiostation directory powered by radiobrowser,info
• Create, update and delete playlists
• Personal and shared playlists
• Cache complete playlists to device
• Full playlist support in both online and offline mode
• Starring of artists, albums, tracks and folders
• Starring works in both online and offline mode
• Items starred when offline is synced at first chance
• Easily filter lists for starred content
• View All, Random or Starred albums from a genre
• View Random or Starred songs from a genre
CONTEXT MENU EVERYWHERE
• Long-press any item to show relevant actions
• Easily navigate between associated artist, album, tracks and folders
• Add tracks, albums, artists or folders to playlists
• Swipe-to-reveal shortcuts
• Automatic caching of played tracks, pre-cache upcoming tracks
• Manually cache selected folders, artists, albums or tracks
• Upgrade cached audio to better bitrate when available
SEAMLESS OFFLINE MODE
• Play cached music when connectivity is bad
• Show only cached content
• Same user interface in online and offline mode
• AirPlay, Bluetooth, remote control, lock screen & control center integration
• Support iOS’ sleep timer
• Resumes music after being interrupted by phone calls
• Background downloads
• SSL, self-signed certificates
• Secure authentication for Subsonic 5.3+ servers
• Connection dependent bitrate; bitrate settings for cellular and wifi, override settings for slow/fast WiFi networks
• Scrobbles to last.fm if configured on the server
• Updates Now Playing on the server
• Updates server-playcounts when playing cached content
• Music played while offline is scrobbled when online again
NOTE: a licensed installation of Subsonic 4.8+ is required.
Some features need a higher Subsonic server version (Top Songs, Artist Radio, Similar Artists, Last.fm Imagery, Album Info)
Multiple servers, variable playback speed, deeplinking, ...
● MULTIPLE SERVER SUPPORT
Configure multiple servers and switch between them easily.
● VARIABLE PLAYBACK SPEED
Slow down or speed up the playback: 0.5-2x supported. Longpress the playback-speed button on the player to toggle between normal and the last used custom playyback speed.
● DEEP LINKING
Integrate play:Sub into automation workflows using URL commands: for example playsubapp://play?artist=david bowie. Read about all the possible commands here: http://michaelbechhansen.github.io/...
● TWEAKS AND FIXES
- New Added cached audiobooks and cached genre views of the collection.
- New Configurable app icon.
- New Configurable homescreen app shortcuts.
- New "Play something for me" now allows for other things than random songs.
- New Manage serverside download of podcast episodes from the app.
- New Tips and Tricks section on the play:Sub tab.
- Fixed a crash when radiostation icon name was in an unexpected format.
- Fixed When player is configured as a tab, the fullscreen player was presented when selecting playback from lists.
- Fixed When player is configured as a tab, tapping on the player-tab now sets the players active page to the player (scrolls away info or queue).
- 2019.2.1 Fixed a crash related to ID3-tag parsing, occurring when switching tracks,
For feature requests or issues:
please use the in-app form (play:Sub | Feedback),
or the contact form on http://michaelsapps.dk
Ratings and Reviews
Love this, but one feature suggestion
I use this with my booksonic server connected to unraid and it works beautifully. However, there’s 1 feature I would love to see you implement (btw, I’ve downloaded every subsonic music/audiobook player and none have it) is being able to play back at faster speeds. I have some audiobooks which are great, but the narrator speaks at terribly slow pace. Hopefully you can implement this feature relatively easily and soon! Otherwise, love the app and features!
-update: and this was improved! We have faster playback, integration into every Bluetooth/wireless device I have. I’ve deleted all my other apps and use this one exclusively. Works with my audiobooks, podcasts and on a separate server I’ve linked my music. Overall, this is a total win!
Developer Response ,
Variable playback speed will be part of the next version.
Awesome app- fast and easy to use
I’ve tried a number of free apps for my playing music off my airsonic server and this is by far the best. It’s extremely fast loading as if the songs were on the device instead of streaming. I can’t even tell it’s streaming, honestly. It’s easy to queue songs, albums, genres, years, artists, etc on the fly. It shows my artwork properly also. I’ve only used it for a few days, but well worth the purchase price.
You can also set max nitrates (for Wi-Fi and cellular) to help limit data usage, customize cache sizes and download music directly for offline play. I haven’t yet found a feature I want that is missing, and I am someone that likes a lot of settings/tinkering and features! Keep up the great work, dev.
Now the best subsonic client for iOS
I was an iSub user for many years. When version 1.8 of Play:Sub came out, I found myself splitting my time between the two apps. Version 1.9 (July 2018) has changed all that: Play:Sub is the only client for me now. Why? The power of the interface. It’s very flexible for things like adding tracks to a currently playing queue. Basically, unlike iSub (which is no longer in active development) the interface feels current and doesn’t get in your way. Add in features unique to this client like Artist Radio (plays songs from artists related to the current one) and you’ve got a winner.
- Michael Hansen
- 26.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Danish, German
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2019 Michael Bech Hansen
- In-App Purchases
- Track Tip $1.99
- EP Tip $3.99
- Album Tip $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.