“PocketPhonics teaches the basics of reading and writing to young kids. Most surprising? It seems to work.” 148apps.com
PocketPhonics teaches kids letter sounds, first words and handwriting. It is used in hundreds of elementary schools and pre-schools, and tens of thousands of homes. It is aligned with the Common Core State Standards, and independent research (see appsinmypocket.com/research) found children learnt nine times faster using PocketPhonics compared to a classroom lesson.
"One of my children’s favorite early reading apps" New York Times
“This app feels much like a private tutoring session for early readers with emphasis on letter sounds and writing.” everythingmom.com
-“If you are working on phonics for your kids, this is the best application to have.” Technology in Education
-“This app feels much like a private tutoring session for early readers with emphasis on letter sounds and writing.” everythingmom.com
-“PocketPhonics is seriously educational and I think it’s a terrific tool for helping early readers. You can tell that a ton of thought and research was put into it and best of all, they talked and listened to teachers. It shows.” iPhoneMom.com
-“When it comes to learning apps for young learners and early readers, there is no better choice than PocketPhonics." ipad-applications.neiia.com
PocketPhonics is split in to 12 groups of letter sounds, each group is followed by a set of storybooks that use those letter sounds. Kids read storybooks that are on the right level for them.
The phonics levels are included in the price of this "basic edition", but the storybooks cost extra. PocketPhonics Stories (full edition) includes the stories in the price.
Phonics (letter sounds) help children to read by understanding the sounds that letters make. The National Reading Panel concluded that “children who have phonics instruction read better and spell better than other children”.
In the first group of letter sounds, there are six sounds to master before the child will be able to read their first storybook. Most children aged 4+ start to read their first storybook within 10 weeks if they use the app for 15 mins everyday.
Parents and teachers can easily monitor children’s progress online. Teachers and parents are emailed a certificate when a child completes a task.
Children can tap an unfamiliar word in a story, and the app will sound out the letters to help the child understand what the word says. They can tap again to hear the actual word and see a picture that illustrates its meaning.
As the child reads a story, the app tests whether they can read some of the key words. At the end of the story, it quizzes the child on all new words in that story.
Children master the following skills:
recognising 72 letter sounds (e.g. ‘ch’ are the letters that make the initial sound in ‘chat’)
* blending letter sounds together to make words (e.g ‘ch-a-t’)
* hearing a word and selecting its written form (e.g. the app says, “chat”, the child has to select ‘chat’ from a group of words)
How it works
* The phonics levels are included in the price.
* The books are extra, but can be tried for free. $1.49 monthly and $14.49 annual subscriptions unlock access to all books for an unlimited number of children
* The subscription gives you access to more books as they are added
* Once subscribed, your subscription auto-renews each month or annually. However, you can easily turn auto renew off via the Settings app
* Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
* Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Cannot cancel current subscription during its subscription period
Ratings and Reviews
Very useful aid to homeschoolers.
I am a mother of two boys, 3 & 5. I have had this app for 3 years. I homeschool my boys and started this app as a median to teach sounds form words. I began this app with my eldest son at 2 yrs old. He had already memorized his letter and some of their sounds by 18 months. He loved this app and making words. I love that this app teaches phonetics as that is how i teach to read. My eldest son was reading simple 3 to 4 word sentences at the age of 3yrs. I now use this for my youngest son and it is helping with his speech (he is also in speech therapy with his school). He can now build words using sounds, but has issues with multiple syllable words. I do wish i could adjust some of the practice words, add more words to help build more practice, and create a more gradual learning curve. However, overall it does work and it is a great tool!
One of my best apps!
I love this app and find it quite comprehensive and entertaining at the same time to keep kids interest going. I've seen my two toddlers grow up liking it and using it a lot. I think it really works! Thumbs up from a mom who does tons of research before getting anything for her kids!
5 year old plays it all the time.
Our granddaughter loves this app and spends a lot of time playing. Her letters are well made without reversals. She write text messages and spells most words correctly and effortlessly in her 3 month of kindergarten.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- 815.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly subscription for books $1.49
- Lifetime subscription - books $16.99
- Annual subscription for books $14.49