PocketPipes is an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch player for bagpipe tunes (abc and bww files) with lot of options. A vertical bar shows the note being played on the sheet music. PocketPipes is your partner for practicing, with your own tunes and statistics about recent playbacks help you to drive your training sessions.
- bagpipe chanter sound or practice chanter sound
- defining a section of the tune for playback (to focus on few measures when training, with long press on the sheet music). The area outside the section is grayed.
- loop mode
- playing with or without drones or embellishments
- C natural, or C natural + F natural
- synchronized metronome with the current play
- optional 5-7-9 attack before each play
- tempo tuning for the current tune
- importing tunes from a desktop with iTunes, a Dropbox(TM) account, or email attachements
- file sharing : you can send tunes or sheet music as email attachments
- file uploading to a Dropbox account (wav soundtrack and pdf sheet music)
- sheet music printing
- categorization (tagging) of the tunes allows to work on subsets within the personal tunes (i.e. Marches, Slow airs, To learn, Next performance ....). See guide on website. More flexible than folder hierarchy.
- searching by keys, crossed with categories
- statistics on recent playbacks, crossed with categories
- file edition in textual mode with revert capability to the previous file
- contextual menu with a long press on the tune title or force touch actions (on devices such as iPhone 6S, 7 ...)
- full screen and zooming on sheet music (important for iPhones)
- ability to colorize some parts of the tunes (non standard feature)
- keyboard for fun only
Nota: tempo setting and section marks are made persistent.
PocketPipes contains six tunes for demonstration purpose.
They can be hided.
Available ressources on the support web site: Packs of tunes, guides, FAQ, link to abc software
See FAQ for specific questions.
- Uniformisation of some colors of the user interface
- Ability to hide the embedded tunes (with a setting), so that you only see the personal tunes
- Fixing a crash that appeared with IOS 13.1 or iPAD OS 13.1, and some minor bugs
Ratings and Reviews
How do you upload the sheet music to practice? Upload your songs? I can't get Dropbox to connect eithe!
Developer Response ,
The upload function is part of Share fonctions.
You can only upload .wav or .pdf to your Dropbox account, under /Apps/PocketsPipes folder. You need to link before, with your ID-Passwd for Dropbox (Link button, top right)
Another solution is to send the sheet music to yourself by e-mail, also in the Share functions.
With the V8.0 you just have to make a long press on the tune title, and a menu appears that proposes quick actions, including "Share".
On the Web site you have also guides.
I have been waiting a long time!
I have been waiting a long time for an iPod/ipad app that would have some of the functionality of Bagpipe Music Writer or Celtic Pipes, and now it is here. I find that playing with someone is one of the best says to perfect your tunes, and with this app I can use sound isolating headphones, load a tune in .abc or .pdf and then just play it, boom--perfectly played according to the sheet music. Perfect as a virtual practice partner anywhere I want.
For US$3.99, I am not going to complain about "missing" features. This app is a steal for the price. Still, the developer has requested suggestions on his website, and here are my suggestions:
(1) A metronome that will automatically sync with the music. That would be very helpful. The developer website says that there is an unsynced metronome function, but I cannot find it.
(2) A way to have a lead in on the start of the playing of the music. You press the play button and it starts playing. If there was some way to throw in a delay, or better yet, a 2 beat e, that would be ideal. As it is, I have to place the iPod in a convenient location, get the pipes up, half inflated, and then press start, but I still can't get going for at least three or so notes. If it had that function, I would rate it five stars.
This is a great app. Bravo!
Best IPAD App
It was so great to receive this App because now I don't have to carry a book of tunes to practice. Claude gives greta detailed instructions and if you get stuck he answers emails within a day or two with the answer. If your looking for a tune he will try to find it in the format for the app. Thanks Claude.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.