PocketPipes is an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch and Mac OS player for bagpipe tunes (abc and bww files) with lot of options. A vertical bar shows the note being played on the sheet music. PocketPipes is your partner for practicing, with your own tunes and statistics about recent playbacks help you to drive your training sessions.
- bagpipe chanter sound or practice chanter sound
- defining a section of the tune for playback (to focus on few measures when training, with long press on the sheet music). The area outside the section is grayed.
- loop mode
- playing with or without drones or embellishments
- C natural, or C natural + F natural
- synchronized metronome with the current play
- optional 5-7-9 attack before each play
- tempo tuning for the current tune
- moving (drag and drop) files from Mac locations or from email attachements to the first tab (file list) of the application
- importing tunes from a Dropbox(TM) account
- file uploading to a Dropbox account (wav soundtrack and pdf sheet music)
- sheet music printing
- categorization (tagging) of the tunes allows to work on subsets within the personal tunes (i.e. Marches, Slow airs, To learn, Next performance ....). See guide on website. More flexible than folder hierarchy. When categorized, a tune appears in blue color.
- searching by keys, crossed with categories
- statistics on recent playbacks, crossed with categories
- file edition in textual mode with revert capability to the previous file
- contextual menu with a long press on the tune title or on the sheet music
- resizable screen
- ability to colorize some parts of the tunes (non standard feature)
- keyboard for fun only
- detailed Help Book
- dark mode available
Nota: tempo setting and section marks are made persistent.
Available ressources on the support web site: Packs of tunes, guides, FAQ, link to abc software, ABC tutorial
See FAQ for specific questions.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best IPAD App
It was so great to receive this App because now I don't have to carry a book of tunes to practice. Claude gives greta detailed instructions and if you get stuck he answers emails within a day or two with the answer. If your looking for a tune he will try to find it in the format for the app. Thanks Claude.
I have been waiting a long time!
I have been waiting a long time for an iPod/ipad app that would have some of the functionality of Bagpipe Music Writer or Celtic Pipes, and now it is here. I find that playing with someone is one of the best says to perfect your tunes, and with this app I can use sound isolating headphones, load a tune in .abc or .pdf and then just play it, boom--perfectly played according to the sheet music. Perfect as a virtual practice partner anywhere I want.
For US$3.99, I am not going to complain about "missing" features. This app is a steal for the price. Still, the developer has requested suggestions on his website, and here are my suggestions:
(1) A metronome that will automatically sync with the music. That would be very helpful. The developer website says that there is an unsynced metronome function, but I cannot find it.
(2) A way to have a lead in on the start of the playing of the music. You press the play button and it starts playing. If there was some way to throw in a delay, or better yet, a 2 beat e, that would be ideal. As it is, I have to place the iPod in a convenient location, get the pipes up, half inflated, and then press start, but I still can't get going for at least three or so notes. If it had that function, I would rate it five stars.
This is a great app. Bravo!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.