Your bagpipe tunes in abc or bww format on your Mac (Intel/M1) and iOS.
Lot of files available on the web (links in the in-app help).
Many playback options.
PocketPipes is an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Mac player for bagpipe tunes (abc and bww files) with lot of options. A vertical bar shows the note being played on the sheet music. PocketPipes is your partner for practicing, with your own tunes and statistics about recent playbacks help you to drive your training sessions.
- bagpipe chanter sound or practice chanter sound or whistle Bb
- defining a section of the tune for playback (to focus on few measures when training, with long press on the sheet music). The area outside the section is grayed.
- loop mode
- playing with or without drones
- C natural, or C natural + F natural
- optional 5-7-9 attack before each play
- tempo tuning for the current tune
- when the list of tunes is empty, the app proposes to install a demo tunes set (first lauching for instance)
- importing tunes with the Finder (drag&drop), a Dropbox(TM) account, or email attachements
- if you define PocketPipes as the default app you can also use double click on abc or bww files
- file sharing : you can send tunes or sheet music as email attachments
- file uploading to the user's iCloud Drive (wav soundtrack and pdf sheet music)
- sheet music printing
- categorization (tagging) of the tunes allows to work on subsets within the personal tunes (i.e. Marches, Slow airs, To learn, Next performance ....). See in-app help. More flexible than folder hierarchy. When categorized, a tune appears in blue color.
- searching by keys, crossed with categories
- statistics on recent playbacks, crossed with categories
- file edition in textual mode
- backup/restore of the data to/from iCloud, giving a way to align different devices with the same data
- contextual menu with a long press on the tune title or the sheet music
- two specific pop up controllers to handle playback options
- category editor
- window resizing
- ability to colorize some parts of the tunes (non standard feature)
- clear and dark modes
- help book (including useful links to abc and bww tunes data bases on the web)
Nota: tempo setting and section marks are made persistent at tune level
Available ressources on the support web site: Packs of tunes, ABC tutorial, FAQ, tips ...
See FAQ for specific questions
This release completes the evolutions on the abc parser (comments on staff, background color ...).
Remember that K: must conform to bagpipe scale Hp or HP
The in-app help gives links to sources of abc or bww files on the web.
The ABC tutorial is being updated on the support web site.
Ratings and Reviews
Best IPAD App
It was so great to receive this App because now I don't have to carry a book of tunes to practice. Claude gives greta detailed instructions and if you get stuck he answers emails within a day or two with the answer. If your looking for a tune he will try to find it in the format for the app. Thanks Claude.
I have been waiting a long time!
I have been waiting a long time for an iPod/ipad app that would have some of the functionality of Bagpipe Music Writer or Celtic Pipes, and now it is here. I find that playing with someone is one of the best says to perfect your tunes, and with this app I can use sound isolating headphones, load a tune in .abc or .pdf and then just play it, boom--perfectly played according to the sheet music. Perfect as a virtual practice partner anywhere I want.
For US$3.99, I am not going to complain about "missing" features. This app is a steal for the price. Still, the developer has requested suggestions on his website, and here are my suggestions:
(1) A metronome that will automatically sync with the music. That would be very helpful. The developer website says that there is an unsynced metronome function, but I cannot find it.
(2) A way to have a lead in on the start of the playing of the music. You press the play button and it starts playing. If there was some way to throw in a delay, or better yet, a 2 beat e, that would be ideal. As it is, I have to place the iPod in a convenient location, get the pipes up, half inflated, and then press start, but I still can't get going for at least three or so notes. If it had that function, I would rate it five stars.
This is a great app. Bravo!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Claude Le Dû
- 18.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2022 - Claude Le Dû
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.