Prizmo 3 is a scanning application with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in 25 languages with powerful editing capabilities, text-to-speech, iCloud support, and translation into 59 languages.
No matter what capture device is at hand, Prizmo is the best option for scanning and performing OCR. It works with pictures taken with your iPhone, iPad, or digital camera, with documents coming from connected or Wi-Fi scanners, even with screenshots! It will help you easily scan any documents (invoices, receipts, boards, giant advertisements...) of any sizes (US Letter, US Legal, A4, and custom)...
"My results were great, and it could definitely act as my only scanner. But, it really isn’t only a scanner, it can be used on anything. If you see a movie poster or an ad that you like, and would like to have documented, just take a picture, and Prizmo will help you with perspective, cropping and everything else." (by Joe Turner - MacApper)
Optimized for macOS High Sierra.
• Revamped user interface taking advantage of latest macOS translucency and vibrancy
• Handoff support for offering simple interactions between your iPhone, iPad and Mac.
• 2 extensions available from other apps: Crop & Cleanup, Recognize Text
• Support for third-party exports
• Specific Processing for Business Cards, Multipage Texts and Images
• Input File Formats: regular photo files including JPEG, RAW, TIFF, as well as PDF files (even multipage)
• Input Options: digital cameras (iPhone, iPad, DSLRs...), camera tethering, Continuity Camera on macOS Mojave, connected and Wi-Fi scanners, screenshots, snap any text from your screen
• New built-in neural network-based OCR in 25 Languages: Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian.
• Detection of 3 Types of Regions: texts, images and numbers
• OCR Editing and Correction: add, delete, merge and reorder regions on the one hand, edit text for correcting mistakes on the other hand
• Automatic Frame Detection: lay the page, snap it, and let Prizmo handle the cropping
• Automatic Text Orientation Detection
• Perspective Correction to Compensate Camera Point of View
• Non-linear Lens Distortion Correction
• Page Curvature Correction for Books and Magazines
• Real-time OCR Results: moving/resizing region frames immediately updates text results
• Resolution Increase: image enhancement allows OCR results where OCR is generally not even thinkable
• Output Formats: image files (JPEG, PNG, TIFF), and text files (PDF with Spotlight-searchable text, RTF, TXT) - even multipage!
• Prizmo Document Sharing across Macs through iCloud (native documents only)
• Export to the Evernote, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and WebDAV Online Services
• Cloud-based Statistical Translation into 59 Languages (neural network method requires Pro Pack, see below)
• Accessibility Feedback for the OCR Processing (blank, blurry image, etc.)
• Text-to-Speech for Reading Scanned Texts: over 90 voices in 26 languages with navigation settings and interactive reading progress display (available for free in macOS Preferences)
• Extensions: Crop & Cleanup, Recognize Text
• Handoff support
• Enhanced for the Retina Display.
Prizmo 3 - Pro Pack
If you process many text documents, you’ll be interested in the Pro Pack. It is available as in-app purchase, and includes the following additional features:
• Batch Document Processing
• Automator Action for automatically performing OCR as a workflow action or smart folder
• Custom Export Scripts for integrating Prizmo in enterprise workflows using custom Unix scripts and AppleScripts.
• Neural network-based translation in 22 languages: see https://creaceed.com/prizmo
If you need fast friendly help, or if you want to send your feedback, contact us at email@example.com
- Fixed a crash that could occur when moving or resizing a text region.
- Fixed a crash when using the Snap Screen tool when multiple displays are attached to the Mac.
- Fixed the page cropping user interface that could become corrupt when selecting another page.
Ratings and Reviews
Good for JPGs etc, NO (simple) PDF SUPPPORT!
Following the review below I was contacted by support. So there's a way to OCR PDFs; you have to launch the app, close the open file window, create a new document then import the PDF. I'm not sure why you can't just open PDF files like it allows for image files but apparently a baked in workaround is as good as it's going to get.
So yes, techincally you can OCR a PDF file with Prizmo... what you can't do is OCR a PDF easily.
Add to that you have to pay again for the "pro" features like automator and batch processing I'll continue to use Adobe's Acrobat DC from my CC subscription. It's just easier... Yeah, let that settle in for a moment, an Adobe product is easier to work with... yikes.
-------- Previous Review ----------
So this app mostly does what it says it does. It's a powerful version of the iOS app for sure.
It will export a file it's scanned as a PDF but if you have a PDF in need of OCR, go elsewhere.
It is amazingly lame that you can't scan a PDF in this app.
Developer Response ,
Hi. It is indeed possible to scan a PDF document with Prizmo. Could you please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org so we can investigate? Thanks. /TC
My go-to OCR application (V3.5)
I do a lot of reading of works published in the early 1900’s that I find using either “Project Gutenberg” or the the “Internet Archive”. Before version 3.5 Prismo struggled with the majority of the PDFs I downloaded from those sites. With this latest version, the acurracy has gone way up. I particularly appreciate the work done to recognize numbers although the alogorithm seems to be a bit too agressive as I’m finding many instances of “1n" for “in” and “1s” for “is”. (To the developers: Download “Science in the Changing World” from the Internet Archive and run it through Prismo to see this in action.)
I also use Prismo to scan my out-of-print paperbacks that are falling apart, and have no complaints.
I have no problem with the drag-and-drop interface to create a new project. This is probably due to my leaving the program running all the time so I can do live captures from web pages, which means the drag-and-drop interface is only a [⌘n] away. Your mileage may vary.
It's good.. depending on what you need it to do.
I bought this app for one purpose, and one purpose only: to render journal articles in image formats as text. Unfortunately, this is not the tool for that job. With documents under 200ppi (which is every artice I needed to render as text) the character recognition is severely degraded, and if you were to go through and fix all of the errors.. well.. you'd be better off just typing the whole thing.
That's not to say I'm not impressed with the software… It's freakin pretty sweet, really. It works. It looks pretty decent. It's responsive. It just doesn't do what I needed it to do though. For that it gets 4 stars.. If you don't need to render low res docs, then go for it… It's a great price for what it does. However, If you're looking for an app that takes journal articles in image format and spits out something you can cut amd paste from, look somewhere else.
- Creaceed SPRL
- 28.7 MB
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Czech, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Creaceed SPRL
- In-App Purchases
- Prizmo Pro Pack $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.