Prizmo 4 is a scanning application with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in 28 languages with powerful editing capabilities, text-to-speech, iCloud support, and translation into 59 languages.
No matter what capture device is at hand, Prizmo is the best option for scanning and performing OCR. It works with pictures taken with your iPhone, iPad, or digital camera, with documents coming from connected or Wi-Fi scanners, even with screenshots! It will help you easily scan any documents (invoices, receipts, boards, giant advertisements...) of any sizes (US Letter, US Legal, A4, and custom)...
"My results were great, and it could definitely act as my only scanner. But, it really isn’t only a scanner, it can be used on anything. If you see a movie poster or an ad that you like and would like to have documented, just take a picture, and Prizmo will help you with perspective, cropping and everything else." (by Joe Turner - MacApper)
Optimized for macOS Big Sur.
• Built to take advantage of Apple Silicon CPU & GPU capabilities, and to deliver optimal performance in image processing, OCR, and more
• Remodeled app icon
• Modern style for the window toolbar
• Specific Processing for Business Cards and Multipage Documents
• Input File Formats: regular photo files including JPEG, RAW, TIFF, as well as PDF files (even multipage)
• Input Options: digital cameras (iPhone, iPad, DSLRs...), camera tethering, Continuity Camera (requires macOS Mojave or later), connected and Wi-Fi scanners, screenshots, snap any text from your screen
• Built-in neural network-based OCR in 28 Languages (see list on https://creaceed.com/prizmo) + Apple OCR in English, Simplified & Traditional Chinese, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
• Detection of 2 Types of Regions: texts and images
• OCR Editing and Correction: add, delete, merge and reorder regions, on the one hand, edit text for correcting mistakes on the other hand
• Automatic Frame Detection: lay the page, snap it, and let Prizmo handle the cropping
• Automatic Text Orientation Detection
• Perspective Correction to Compensate Camera Point of View
• New image processing options like Page Detection, Repair Edges, and Flatten Curved Contents
• Real-time OCR Results: moving/resizing region frames immediately updates text results
• Resolution Increase: image enhancement allows OCR results where OCR is generally not even thinkable
• Output Formats: image files (JPEG, PNG, TIFF), and text files (PDF with Spotlight-searchable text, RTF, TXT) - even multipage!
• Efficient compression formats (CCITT G4, JBIG2) for pages with black & white cleanup to generate small-sized PDFs
• Prizmo Document Sharing across devices (iOS & Mac) through iCloud (native documents only). Everything is preserved when editing the same document on these platforms.
• Export to the Evernote, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and WebDAV Online Services
• Cloud-based Statistical Translation into 59 Languages (neural network method requires Pro Pack, see below)
• Accessibility Feedback for the OCR Processing (blank, blurry image, etc.)
• Text-to-Speech for Reading Scanned Texts: over 90 voices in 26 languages with navigation settings and interactive reading progress display (available for free in macOS Preferences)
• Extensions: Crop & Cleanup, Recognize Text
• Handoff support
• Enhanced for the Retina Display.
Prizmo 4 - Pro Pack
If you process many text documents, you’ll be interested in the Pro Pack. It is available as in-app purchase, and includes the following additional features:
• Batch Document Processing
• Automator Action for automatically performing OCR as a workflow action or smart folder
• Custom Export Scripts for integrating Prizmo in enterprise workflows using custom Unix scripts and AppleScripts.
• Neural network-based translation in 22 languages: see https://creaceed.com/prizmo
If you need fast friendly help, or if you want to send your feedback, contact us at email@example.com
Fixed a crash that happened when editing documents on macOS 10.13 and macOS 10.14.
Prizmo 4.3 brings dithering processing for black and white images in PDF exports, compatibility with macOS Monterey & various bug fixes and improvements.
Prizmo now makes use of dithering (image regions) when exporting to black & white PDF, such that the density of black dots in the new image approximates the average gray-level in the original picture. This improves the overall quality of exported PDF, while preserving a small file size (ideal for archiving).
Ratings and Reviews
Good for JPGs etc, NO (simple) PDF SUPPPORT!
Following the review below I was contacted by support. So there's a way to OCR PDFs; you have to launch the app, close the open file window, create a new document then import the PDF. I'm not sure why you can't just open PDF files like it allows for image files but apparently a baked in workaround is as good as it's going to get.
So yes, techincally you can OCR a PDF file with Prizmo... what you can't do is OCR a PDF easily.
Add to that you have to pay again for the "pro" features like automator and batch processing I'll continue to use Adobe's Acrobat DC from my CC subscription. It's just easier... Yeah, let that settle in for a moment, an Adobe product is easier to work with... yikes.
-------- Previous Review ----------
So this app mostly does what it says it does. It's a powerful version of the iOS app for sure.
It will export a file it's scanned as a PDF but if you have a PDF in need of OCR, go elsewhere.
It is amazingly lame that you can't scan a PDF in this app.
Developer Response ,
Hi. It is indeed possible to scan a PDF document with Prizmo. Could you please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org so we can investigate? Thanks. /TC
My go-to OCR application (V3.5)
I do a lot of reading of works published in the early 1900’s that I find using either “Project Gutenberg” or the the “Internet Archive”. Before version 3.5 Prismo struggled with the majority of the PDFs I downloaded from those sites. With this latest version, the acurracy has gone way up. I particularly appreciate the work done to recognize numbers although the alogorithm seems to be a bit too agressive as I’m finding many instances of “1n" for “in” and “1s” for “is”. (To the developers: Download “Science in the Changing World” from the Internet Archive and run it through Prismo to see this in action.)
I also use Prismo to scan my out-of-print paperbacks that are falling apart, and have no complaints.
I have no problem with the drag-and-drop interface to create a new project. This is probably due to my leaving the program running all the time so I can do live captures from web pages, which means the drag-and-drop interface is only a [⌘n] away. Your mileage may vary.
Nice looking interface, that doesn’t work
I wasted a nice chuck of change on this app. The simplest things: like applying a crop box to more than one image, cannot be done. If you have book images from a large book and want to apply the crop setting across a range of image?: plan on spending a LOT of time doing it, as you’ll have to set the same settings, image after image after image. The page curvature feature is almost worthless. You end up spending HOURS doing the simplest things and then, with very uneven results.
Developer Response ,
Hi. Applying a crop box to more than one image is indeed possible with Prizmo 3 on Mac. Please contact us via this address email@example.com so we can help you. Thanks. /TC
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Creaceed SRL
- 38.7 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, Czech, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Creaceed SRL
- In-App Purchases
- Prizmo Pro Pack $29.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.