Proloquo4Text™ is a text to speech app for those who cannot rely on their voice to speak. The app is laid out on a single screen to reduce the effort of typing. The layout enables easy, daily conversation and quick access to your most common phrases. Personalize it to your needs and preferences, whether that’s through choosing from the many voices available, or through customizing your screen layout.
Proloquo4Text is the leading AAC solution for literate adults, teens and children. It is used by people with a wide range of diagnoses, including developmental disabilities (like autism, apraxia, and cerebral palsy) and acquired disorders (like laryngectomy, ALS, stroke, or traumatic brain injury). Proloquo4Text can be used to produce speech by anyone who can type and spell.
Communicate with ease
• Use the single screen for easy access to words, phrases and keyboard
• Switch easily between conversations, making it easy to answer a question in another conversation, without disrupting what you typed in the first conversation.
• Decide when you speak with play, pause and speak-as-you-type
• Adjust appearance (font, color, text size) to your preference and needs
Reduce typing effort
• Create, save and organize commonly used phrases
• Make typing quicker with advanced, self-learning PolyPredix™ word prediction
• Show what you typed with the fullscreen view and flip text features
• Type once, then say it again with history and sentence prediction
• Use keyboard shortcuts for quick access when using an external keyboard
Choose your voice
• Download, natural-sounding voices within Proloquo4Text. All premium Acapela voices are included in Proloquo4Text with no in-app purchase.
• Add personality and humor to your conversations with free specialty voices
• Choose from over 100 voices in 18 languages, so you can find the one that sounds most like you. Switch easily between languages.
• Use my-own-voice, a voice-banking technology, to preserve and capture the essence of your own voice in synthetic speech.
Share your world
• Send email, messages, and tweets from Proloquo4Text
• Write in Proloquo4Text and copy your text into another app
• Listen to text by pasting into Proloquo4Text
• Make phone and FaceTime video calls with Proloquo4Text.
Take your voice anywhere
• Proloquo4Text is available on both iOS and macOS. With iOS, you can use the app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch. The Mac version is a separate purchase on the Mac App Store.
• Smoothly transition between devices, thanks to Proloquo4Text’s consistent navigation on iPhone and iPad
• Easily access your commonly used phrases on Apple Watch, and just tap to show or speak them. You can customize the contents shown on the Watch from your iPhone.
• Follow words as they are spoken with optional sentence or word highlighting
• Optimized for Switch Control and VoiceOver
•Communicate without an internet connection
• Use multitasking functionality to run another app side-by-side on supported devices
• Keep your devices in sync by easily backing up and restoring your customizations and stored phrases.
AssistiveWare® is the developer of Proloquo2Go®, an award-winning symbol-based communication app that provides a voice to over 200,000 individuals around the world.
Educational institutions can get a 50% discount if they purchase 20 or more licenses through Apple’s Volume Purchase Program for Education.
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. This version includes several bug fixes and performance improvements. Thanks for using our app!
Ratings and Reviews
It is a good app to have when you have a speech impediment and need to communicate with others that don’t understand your speech patterns, especially in high stressful situations or the person is just plain lazy and not being patient with you. It is also good for writing out complete sentences for complex situations that you might find yourself in. It is also good for writing out sentences for stories that you are working on along anything else like poetry, especially if you are someone who relies on audio feedback for hearing how a sentence sounds. Therefore, I highly recommend this app for anyone who needs assistance in any important situations they might face, whether it is a situation where communication is poor or you simply want to write out what you want to communicate ahead of time for a upcoming meeting or appointment. Whatever the situation you going to find yourself in this is the app you need for your most important situations that you face in your life.
Developer Response ,
Hi Romandory, thank you for your fantastic review of Proloquo4Text and sharing how you use the software for communication, composition, and creativity! You are a true power user! Please feel free to check out our Proloquo4Text Help section on our website here (www.assistiveware.com/support/proloquo4text/overview). We are also happy to invite you to join our AssistiveWare’s Adult AAC users community Facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/192898234141275) to connect with other Proloquo4Text users and share advice about AssistiveWare's apps and AAC challenges. If you ever have questions about Proloquo4Text, want to submit a feature request for the app, or want feedback on an AAC issue, please email email@example.com and one of our team members will be happy to help you. Peace! :-)
I really like it
I am recently disabled, I lost my tongue and larynx April 2021. My SLP got me on Proloquo2Go then I switched to Proloquo4Text
So far I prefer text via my iPad. One idea would be to have an option to change the phone voice, like you do the live voice. I can switch to Darius live, but voice for my phone calls is doesn’t change
Loyal Fallback Voice
As a adult on the autism spectrum, I have the tendency to lose my ability to speak/form words verbally when I am extremely overwhelmed, emotional, or my anxiety is high. This allows me to write down my thoughts/feelings/whatever it is that I am trying to convey and allowing myself to be heard through AAC. This has become a life savior!
My only drawback, and maybe it’s a setting I am missing, is I wish the voice wouldn’t start speaking what I typed after each period at the end of a sentence. Most of the time I am not finished writing out the few sentences I need and that becomes annoying/distracting.
Developer Response ,
Hi NoThankYouNN, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Proloquo4Text and your positive rating of the app. Everyone deserves the right to have their voice heard, regardless of age and abilities. As for the issue you are experiencing with Proloquo4Text speaking after typing a closing punctuation mark, please know you can turn off this setting and have it so the app only speaks when you tap return. To do so, go to Options (gear icon) > Language and Speech > Speak As You Type. Then toggle Speak By Sentence to OFF and toggle Speak By Paragraph to ON. This should give you the behavior you are looking for. If you ever have questions about Proloquo4Text or have an issue with the app, please do not hesitate to contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be glad to help you. Take care! :-)
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- AssistiveWare B.V.
- 545.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2022 AssistiveWare
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.