Rail Baron, the game of Building Railroad Empires, is an entertaining strategy game, where you are a Railroad mogul, buying up Rail Lines across America, attempting to become the ultimate Rail Baron. The game is a lot of fun to play, with the only frustration being, the time that it takes to look up information (Destinations, Payoffs, etc.) on the provided charts; which really slows down the game.
Rail Baron Tools, is an Rail Baron reference app that takes the drudgery out of this, by allowing you to quickly look up the data you need, and helping you to optimize your decision making and strategies. Rail Baron Tools does not replace the game (i.e. you still play on the game board, using the actual playing pieces, money, dice etc.), but is meant to enhance it. The app provides data based on the 1977 edition Game published by The Avalon Hill Game Co.
- Look up your destination Region based on a Dice Roll
- Look up your destination City based on a Dice Roll
- Look up a Payoff for completing a Destination
- Look up a Payoff between any two Cities
- View detailed Region information, including odds of rolling the Region
- View detailed City information, including odds of rolling the City
- View detailed Railroad information, including, Price, Cities along the Railroad, and odds of rolling a City on the Railroad
- Added ability to store Player information, including Name and Home City
- Added reference to Express and Superchief costs
- Can now enter a dice roll value manually
- Streamlined calculating Payoffs
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Looks great, have some requests
It seems to me that the purpose of this app is to not have to use any of the reference material, and from the looks of it, the app does that part well.
If it were at all possible, there are just a few things that would take this app to the max convenience:
- An option to manually insert the names of Players and their Home Location (this way we wouldn’t need to write it down)
- An option to manually insert players current cash, position on the board, owned railroads, owned engine cards, etc. (This game can run long and it would be nice to be able to take a break without the need to write a bunch of stuff down)
- A way to type in the number rolled for destination (would save a smidge of time). The odd/even button is fine.
- An option to choose the region before choosing cities when calculating payments (would save a smidge of time)
- A section that includes the cost of Express (even though it stays the same) and Superchief (especially since optional rule #2 changes that price depending on the number of players).
I really like this app, and I would love it even more if I could absolutely go paperless.
Either way, good work!
My vision has deteriorated and so having the payoff calculation is invaluable to me!
My suggestions would be to build in the dice roll for choosing cities. Also when calculating payoff, allow for city searching as an alternative to having to scroll the entire list of cities (e.g. typing “n” shows only cities that begin with that letter and “ne” brings up only New York and New Orleans!
I would be happy to pay for this app. Playing RB during the social distancing time has been wonderful for the family :)
Developer Response ,
I'm glad you are finding the app helpful. Thank-you for your suggestions I really appreciate the feedback; I will consider them for the next release.
Thank you so much for this app! No more looking at tiny numbers for payoff amounts, and I’m estimating this app will speed up our games by at least 7.4%! Now who’s ready to set up some remote rail baron games to pass the time during the quarantine? 😁😁
Developer Response ,
I'm glad you are finding the app useful, especially during these tough times.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.