RETRO FORTH is a concatenative programming language with roots in Forth. Designed to be compact, learnable, and easy to adapt to specific needs, it has been developed and refined through continual use by a small community over more than a decade.
Forth is a stack based programming language created in the late 1960's by Chuck Moore. Over the intervening decades it has evolved through use, with many dialects along the way.
The Retro dialect was created in the late 1990's, and has been continually developed and supported for over 15 years. It is a structured, imperative stack-based language with modern facilities including quotations and reflection.
- latest version of the RETRO language
- a code editor using Markdown subset
- literate programming style
- code is extracted from fenced blocks in Markdown source allowing easy mixing of code and commentary
- allows use of unicode & emoji in source & commentary
- interactive listener interface for quick interactions
- simple console output and text input
- editor provides quick access to numbers and symbols
- support for fetching textual data from Gopher servers
- file manager
- documentation browser
It also includes documentation and several optional examples.
It's been a long time coming, but a new update is here.
This update brings a new interface that improves usability on iPhone and overall readability. It also brings in a new settings screen, allowing selection of the icon to better fit your preferences.
Beyond this, nearly every aspect of the underlying system has been updated. Of note, the runtime is now completely rewritten and is faster and more stable than before. Optimizations have been made to the gopher support. The system is also now running the latest image which adds numerous improvements to the language, removes deprecated functions, and has a number of performance enhancements.
The documentation is improved as well. The manual is now nicely formatted, and is significantly expanded, with more examples and deeper explanations of the functions and their usage. The glossary browser is also updated with the latest words.
- Charles Childers
- 3.9 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright (c) 2008-2019, Charles Childers
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.