"gopher n. 1. Any of various short tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Geomyidae, of North America. 2. (Amer. colloq.) Native or inhabitant of Minnesota: the Gopher State. 3. (Amer. colloq.) One who runs errands, does odd-jobs, fetches or delivers documents for office staff. 4. (computer tech.) software following a simple protocol for burrowing through a TCP/IP internet."
- From RFC 1436 describing Gopher
Way back in the early 1990's, Gopher was a major part of the internet. Over the years it has waned, but there are still quite a few Gopher servers running.
This is is a modern Gopher browser for iOS. Built from the ground up, it lets you access the wealth of data available via Gopher from your favorite devices.
What this offers:
- Clean, browser style user interface
- Access to Gopher servers
- Supports text files, images, directories
- Opens WWW links in Safari
- Supports Veronica-2, Contrition, and other search systems for searching the Gopherspace
- Adjustable text size & optional "reflow" of text documents for improved readability
- This does not support binary files other than images
- This does not support the non-standard Gopher+ extensions, or CSO selectors
This is a small update that improves the display of menus that contain non-standard document types.
Ratings and Reviews
This client has taken the lead in the race for mobile gopherspace access. If you get frustrated by restricted bandwidth, Gopher is your friend. This app will get you the groovy goods, all the info you need with minimal bit overhead.
Yes, the dev added bookmarks! Still not in folders, but this is a basic help to anyone using Gopher on the regular.
This client now prefers an explicit port in the IP address, usually being 70. I don't remember it always doing this. But just add it to the address after the domain with a colon.
Please keep it up! I use Gopher for regular lookups on Gopherpedia and Groundhog Weather, as well as nifty phlogs.
Go Gopher Go!
An excellent journey into gopherspace on the go. The joy of text and simplicity is brought into the touchscreen world without sacrificing the interface that we dig. Looking forward to sharing this app as I add my own gopher hole in the gopherspace.
This is your go-to Gopher client for iOS. Thank you to the developers for making this.
Edit: where has Gopher been all my life?
- Charles Childers
- 1.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 - 2018, Charles Childers
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.