Rhythm Lab is a comprehensive rhythm trainer and worksheet creator. Rhythm Lab allows you to create a virtually unlimited number of custom rhythm patterns for one or two separate rhythm lines, right-left handed drum patterns, and basic drum kit patterns (hi-hat, snare, and kick drum).
Rhythm Lab is compatible with Audiobus 3 (MIDI and Audio) and Core MIDI, allowing for many sound and input options. Custom rhythm patterns can be saved and imported into different instances of Rhythm Lab running on different iPads. An unlimited number of users can be added, saved, and imported to give teachers the ability to track students' progress. User group data can be saved and imported into different instances of Rhythm Lab running on different iPads. Settings menus allow you to control tempo settings, color themes, tapping options, sound options, and MIDI options.
● Provides color theme options - eight different color themes to choose from!
● Bug fixes - user files that have been saved to an external location now can be loaded without causing the app to crash.
● Tap Screen controls have been streamlined to give a cleaner look.
Rhythm Lab features:
● Preset rhythm patterns covering a wide variety of levels and types.
● Custom pattern creation: create new patterns from scratch, copy and edit existing patterns, and generate new patterns randomly.
● Share custom pattern sets - export pattern sets and email them or share via storage apps such as Dropbox.
● Create worksheets using preset or custom rhythm patterns.
● Create individual users and track high scores.
● Audiobus 3 compatibility - Rhythm Lab works as a MIDI sender and Audio Input in Audiobus 3, allowing you to record patterns or add special effects to the sounds with compatible Audiobus apps.
Rhythm Lab is designed for students, teachers, and any musician who would like to improve rhythmic performance and accuracy. There is a large number of patterns of all types, including:
● Multiple levels of single- and two-handed rhythm patterns similar to rhythms found in standardized music exams
● Special patterns that emphasize certain types of rhythm notation, like rests, ties, triplets, quintuplets, cross-rhythms (2 against 3, 3 against 4), unusual meters.
● Custom patterns that users can create and share, using a wide range of rhythm values, rests, ties, dots, time signatures, and tuplet values.
● Composer patterns: rhythm patterns from works by classical composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Debussy, Gottschalk, Haydn, Joplin, and Mozart.
● Single-line (snare style) for Right and Left hand (color coded and marked R or L).
● Drum kit: three pads - hi hat, snare, and kick drum. Drum pad positions are easily interchangeable by simply dragging pads to swap positions.
● Rhythm Lab uses a General MIDI sound set.
● Users can select from a large number of sounds, drum kit types, and change the pitch of the tap pads.
● Rhythm Lab's MIDI capabilities allow Rhythm Lab to use sounds from any MIDI-capable sound app running in the background or connected to Audiobus 3.0.
● Tap using the built-in tap pads, or use an external MIDI device connected to the iPad.
● Test tapping accuracy, or listen to a rhythm pattern played back automatically.
● Now compatible with AudioBus 3
● Bug fixes
● Improved MIDI implementation
● Improved user options
Ratings and Reviews
Fabulous rhythm trainer
I have been playing piano for a while, but my intrinsic rhythmic feel is off a bit and I have purchased quite a few training apps hoping to improve. Not quite satisfied, I found Rhythm Lab and am now amazed.
The design is simple yet intuitive, there are plenty of patterns to choose from diverse categories, but even better you can access an infinite number of patterns by utilizing the simple to use create function.
This app is a great resource for both students and teachers, but anyone interested in improving their rhythmic understanding and precision should definitely consider Rhythm Lab. Heck, you can even practice paradiddles and play a 3 finger drum set for more comprehensive challenges.
I mentioned my rhythmic challenges, and since using this app on a daily basis, I already have quantifiable proof of improvement, which is essential for me to reach my playing goals.
Superb app, well done!
Exactly what you'd need to practice rhythm
I've been looking for a tool to challenge me to learn new rhythms for a while. It's an elegant system to start simple and move on from basic rhythms to complex polyrhythms. This program is exactly what I was looking for, and it has a great interface, which isn't usually the case for these kind of apps. I felt compelled to review because this app seems like it needs more praise. I can't really imagine needing much more. Great program.
Love the updates
I'm using this with all my piano students this week – so I love that I can set up individual accounts for each of them! I'm also enjoying how easy it is to create custom drills, and save them to sets for future use. Any chance that this will be on some kind of cloud in the future, so usage can be synced between several iPads?
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.