RunwayHD is a sophisticated planning and navigation tool for VFR flying which you can unlock for flight with your Airbox chart subscription*.
Runway HD features:
• Very fast moving map display.
• Grab and drag routes for rapid route planning.
• Always fly with the chart you are most familiar with. Download charts of anywhere in the world to your iPad. Choices include national aviation (ICAO) charts and privately created charts such as Bossy for France and Portolano for Italy (for a full list, please see our website).
• Vector charts available free of charge anywhere in the world which declutter as you zoom out and text rotates as you turn.
• Google Maps in-app integration; perfect for planning approaches.
• >30,000 free vector geo-referenced airfields
• In-flight navigation (requires Navigation/GPS subscription).
• Make perfect approaches every time with detailed approach plates now available for many countries.
• Full airport information.
• Detailed weather displayed on the map (TAF, METAR, rain radar (Europe), winds aloft.
• Visual NOTAM display and active download.
• Side profile including airspace and terrain.
• On-screen ruler for estimating distance and time between points.
• Scratch pad for writing important information directly onto the iPad.
• Automatic flight logging including ability to show flown tracks on the map.
• Dynamic map positioning to show maximum view of way ahead.
• Flight plan filing direct from the app.
• Create custom points of interest.
* Each Airbox subscription is valid for use on up to 2 devices.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This release adds support for ingestion of traffic data from SkyEcho and enables the use of GDL90 for GPS functionality. A number of other bugfixes have also been applied, particularly around issues with Notams.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome app except GPS limitation.
The app is user friendly and it’s very quick to layout a route make deviations for restricted airspace.
The maps for Southern Africa are poor BOTSWANA in particular, the Ipad gps fails from time to time. I find the app has to be activated with cell phone reception in order for the iPad GPS to kick in when cell signal is lost
Runway HD with South Africa maps
Very expensive app, but awesome for VFR flying. What I like is all the maps are downloaded so no internet connection is required. Well done to the developers for creating a brilliant program!
Once bought, the program use is only valid for 1 year before a renewal is due, but renewal costs are about a 1/3 of the initial program cost. Still expensive, but much cheaper than an aviation type GPS.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Airbox Aerospace Ltd
- 651.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Airbox Aerospace Limited
- In-App Purchases
- GPS Activation with USA Approach Plates $16.99
- Airspace Avoider (1 Year) $74.99
- South Africa Chart Pack with Navigation $84.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.