The best of the Bay Area is at your fingertips with the San Francisco Chronicle app.
• Breaking news alerts
• Wildfire coverage
• Air quality, outage maps
• In-depth local reporting
• Puzzles and comics
Download the app for free. Choose from two access options: 1. Limited access for free; 2. Unlimited access for only $9.99 per month (enjoy a two-week free trial period) when you subscribe within the app. Current subscribers have unlimited access to the app. Digital subscribers: Sign in to the app to start accessing your benefit. Print subscribers: If you haven’t activated your digital access yet, look for the “link print subscription” button on the app welcome screen and then sign in to the app.
PAYMENT: Payment will be charged to your iTunes account with the confirmation of your purchase and will automatically renew each month unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of your monthly period.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
TERMS OF SERVICE: https://www.SFChronicle.com/terms_of_use/
FEEDBACK: We want to hear from you! Let us know if you have questions or suggestions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Small user enhancements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
The Best Way to Keep In Touch
Since our daughter lives overseas, we have joined her for a couple of months to reconnect in the waning (we hope!) days of the pandemic. It has been very comforting to stay abreast of the news both nationally as well as in the Bay Area. As an older person I love having the option to flip through the paper page-by-page as through I was sitting in my wing chair back in the Bay Area. It helps both of us feel connected to both friends and family on both sides of the world. Having the daily news sourced both locally and from SF gives us a broader perspective of world event.
Good luck trying to cancel your subscription
I’m a Bay Area native, but currently live out of state. I still enjoy keeping up with Bay Area news and sports, and the app generally works fine for that. However, I’ve found it nearly impossible to cancel a subscription after the promotional offer is up. There is no way to cancel a digital sub without a phone call, and the number only stays open until 2:30 pm PT. And when you do call, no one answers. It is easier to get ahold of your state Unemployment Dep’t! I sent an email to complain, and the reply was filled with lies and false information on how to cancel using a web browser - which does not even give the option. Despite all my efforts to cancel, my sub is still active. This is obviously the intent of corrupt management to make it as hard to cancel as possible. I finally had to call my credit card to block future charges, and might even have to close the card to guarantee it won’t be charged again. These types of unethical and fraudulent business practices should not be allowed on the app store!
Mostly good, could be better
- When you are midway through an article, switch to another app, then return to the article, more often then not it will return to the top of the article, loosing your current scroll position.
- The Navigation Controller implementation is optimized for iterating through each article that is available. The normal apple design pattern of swipe from the left to return to the parent view controller is not used, instead, swiping from the left goes to the previous article (and accordingly, swiping from the right takes you to the next article). I truly hate this behavior because I find maybe 1 in 4 articles worth reading, and back out to the main article feed far more often than seeking to the next article.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Search History
- Browsing History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hearst Newspapers LLC
- 25 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2021 Hearst Newspapers, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- San Francisco Chronicle for iPad $5.99
- San Francisco Chronicle $5.99
- San Francisco Chronicle for iPad $59.99
- San Francisco Chronicle $9.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.