As featured in The NY Times!
See what these users are saying about Shakespeare Pro:
“It’s really great!”
—Kenneth Branagh, actor and director
“‘The app’s the thing.’ Hamlet was almost right. Great to see Shakespeare Pro superplaying with Shakespeare’s plays.”
—David Crystal, linguist and author of Shakespeare's Words
“The Shakespeare Pro app is simply terrific and filled with loads of wonderful information!”
—Ken Ludwig, Tony and Olivier Award Winning Playwright
Shakespeare Pro® includes the complete works of Shakespeare (41 plays, 154 sonnets and 6 poems, including apocrypha) and search the concordance to find the exact word or phrase you’re looking for (with “relaxed” searching to find words close to your search term).
Shakespeare Pro is packed with these impressive features:
••• QUALITY TEXTS are a top priority and our team spent years compiling and editing the best references available. In the updated editions, the text is even more clear and each individual character is uniquely identified.
••• FIRST FOLIOS AND QUARTOS in original spelling show the works as they were originally published in Shakespeare’s time.
••• AN INTEGRATED GLOSSARY, based on the bestselling lexicon by David & Ben Crystal, Shakespeare’s Words™ is included. Simply tapping on a word will display its definition in context (not just a general definition).
••• ADD YOUR OWN NOTES AND SHARE THEM with your students, classmates, friends, and colleagues. Organize your notes into notebooks for use in the classroom, theatre, or just to remember key facts. Then share them via email or AirDrop.
••• POWER SEARCH THE WORKS by customizing multiple parameters like gender, genre, work, language, line form, soliloquies, and more.
••• CUSTOMIZE YOUR READING EXPERIENCE by choosing from a variety of color themes, change the font family and size, display long or short character names, jump around to different scenes, and view line numbers (*read the note below about line numbering).
••• BOOKMARK YOUR FAVORITE PARTS in addition to remembering the last page you viewed. Even copy/paste that great line.
••• DETAILED SCENE BREAKDOWNS give you an overview of the scenes within each play, their locations, and the characters present in each.
••• CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS help you better understand the actions and motivations of every character—all 1,155 of them.
••• MODERN TRANSLATIONS and lexicons to help you better understand Elizabethan English (extra add-ons).
••• GET THE FACTS by reading up on Shakespeare’s life, view data and chronology about his works, and an overview of scansion terminology or rhetoric. Character Arc Visualizers show individual character arcs or allow for comparison of multiple characters.
••• SHAKE YOUR DEVICE for Shakespeare himself to display a random memorable quote or insult. Or get a new random quote every day.
••• BROWSE THE GALLERY of famous Shakespeare portraits.
••• TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE, a series of 20 short versions of Shakespeare’s plays aimed at a younger audience, are included for free.
••• BARDFIND™ is the easiest way to find a Shakespeare theatre or venue anywhere in the world.
These are just a few highlights of the great things in Shakespeare Pro. If you’re a student, professor, actor, or just plain love the Bard, this must-have app ensures you have the complete works at your fingertips.
Like the new features? Having trouble and need support? Let us know at email@example.com or at http://support.playshakespeare.com.
We've incorporated your feedback into this update, which includes:
• NEW! Improvements to the new modern spelling search of Folios and Quartos: just enter the modern spelling of a word and find all alternate spellings where it's located. For example, search for "color" and find "colour", "cullor", and "collour".
• NEW! If you have the add-on for modern translations, you can now adjust their visibility to minimize distraction.
• NEW! Expand and collapse the character descriptions on Dramatis Personae pages to see just a list of characters in the play
• NEW! Search by both languages and dialects used throughout the works
• General bug fixes, dark mode and small usability improvements
Did you miss a recent update? Here are a few of the new things we added:
• NEW! Modern spelling search of Folios and Quartos: just enter the modern spelling of a word and find all alternate spellings where it's located. For example, search for "color" and find "colour", "cullor", and "collour".
• NEW! Better images galleries for portraits of Shakespeare and browsing manuscripts
• NEW! "Loose" searching now enabled you to find what you're looking for even if you've misspelled a word.
• NEW! Use the sonnet tag filter to filter and organize the sonnets by thematic tags
• NEW! Added Quartos for King Richard II, Romeo & Juliet, King Lear, and Hamlet
• NEW! Search additional lexicons: In addition to Schmidt's Lexicon, you can now search Onions' Glossary and Dyce's General Glossary
Ratings and Reviews
The ultimate portable Shakespeare
Carefully edited texts? Searchable by play or the entire oeuvre? A complete and searchable glossary? Notes and bookmarks and sharing? The FIRST FOLIO for reference and comparison?! For an astonishingly low sticker price?!
This app is insanely good.
While I love my paperbound books and painstakingly self-annotated Shakespeare texts, my collection has cost me a minor fortune and cannot be carried anywhere without a cart. Even my favorite bargain-prices Complete Works (the Yale) weighs eight pounds and has gradually torn apart its own binding to the point that "Henry V" is unwittingly splitting into two parts like its predecessor. To have one app that combines a First Folio, the power of the Schmidt Lexicons, and the Internet's trove of resources - IN THE PALM OF MY HAND!! - is astounding. And very very much appreciated.
I'm sure we'll all have our quibbles about editorial choices and technical glitches (which Complete Works, in any media, doesn't?), but we should all be able to agree that a meticulously presented and accessible avenue into the world of the Bard is a boon to any and all of us with this app on our devices.
Convenient and full of cool stuff!
I love having the Complete Works in my pocket!! There’s always occasion to look up a quote or figure out another meaning of a word or phrase and this app is the ultimate tool for that. The glossary is fantastic. The short list of facts at the beginning of the play is great subject matter for discussion or further exploration. And their customer support is excellent too if you ever have an issue. All so helpful to my work as a teacher and director! Thanks so much!!
This is my second reading of all of Shakespeare's plays, and so much easier than my first reading in print form. Easier to maneuver around, get definitions rather than from annotations, stop and then pick up where I left off, and especially easier to schlep around! Not a small thing.
If anyone seeing this is contemplating reading most or all his plays, this is the way to do it, and best with the Pro version.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 334.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2009-2022 PlayShakespeare.com. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Modern Translation (All) $14.99
- Schmidt's Lexicon $1.99
- All Lexicons $4.99
- Modern Translation (Macbeth) $0.99
- Modern Translation (Hamlet) $0.99
- Glossary by C. T. Onions $1.99
- Glossary by Alexander Dyce $1.99
- Modern Translation (MND) $0.99
- Modern Translation (Much Ado) $0.99
- Modern Translation (Richard 2) $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.