SkySafari 6 Plus goes beyond most basic astronomy apps by providing you with a full-featured space simulator with telescope control.
Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari 6 Plus to SkySafari 6 Pro. Choose carefully!
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for MacOS. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Plus will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog.
4) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations.
5) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
6) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
7) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just an app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Plus before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more!
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name.
• Support for Apple Watch!
• Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
• Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
• Much more!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 6 Pro!
- Fixes label drawing on non-retina displays.
Ratings and Reviews
My observing partner
SkySafari 6 Plus is my observing partner. I create my observing lists of objects I need to see. When I take my telescope out, the app is running on my iPad and all my observing lists are there from my desktop edition. The app highlights where each of my objects are and I'm able to easily use it to star hop my way to each object. Once I'm done observing each object I log it as an observation on the app and I am ready for the next one. Can't wait to see what they have in store for future versions.
SkySafari 6 Plus
Not vastly different than 5 Plus, but lots of nice additions.
This app fills many of my needs as a serious amateur astronomer:
No need to drags heavy chart books to the field, and the fact that it represents comets, astroids, planets and other objects that move in real time, it is superior to those printed resources.
Makes observing session planning fun and efficient.
Thanks to the finderscope/telrad and eyepiece field of view circles, target locating is fast and easy. I can often “star hop" to a deep sky object faster that those who rely on computerized go-to scopes.
The “Object Info” utility is a super resource. Provides all the essential info on the object being observed: distance, magnitude, transit time, physical properties, and much more.
For newbies, SS6 a great way to explore and learn the night sky. And for more experience folk, going “virtual” stargazing in SS6 can be very entertaining on cloudy nights.
Next to my optical equipment, it is my most important resource.
Planning and Telescope Control!
I've been trying to find a program to control my LX200 Classic for a year! I tried most INDIGO programs but nothing worked very well. My LX200 is connected to my MBP through an RS232 to USB cable. This program conneted to the LX200 immediately and executes perfect control of the mount. I was so relieved and excited to see it work flawlessly. The software is excellent for planning observing/imaging sessions. These guys really did a great job with this product. And the price is incredible. I'm looking forward to using more products by Simulation Curriculum.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 464.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2020 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Galaxy View $3.99
- Apollo Missions Data $3.99
- Interactive H-R Diagram $1.99