SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy software for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for MacOS. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
4) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
5) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
6) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
7) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
8) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just an app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here's what you can do with it:
• SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart has been designed for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing with a new in-app purchase that allows you to follow the Apollo 11 crew on their historic mission! Explore all Apollo Space Missions (from Apollo 8 to Apollo 17) and place yourself at the exact spot along the lunar trajectories of the Apollo spacecraft, during the most memorable and historic moments of these flights.
+ Travel along on the Apollo Space Missions, including Apollo 11 and the first lunar landing
+ Includes nine missions flown by the Apollo astronauts during the 1960's and 1970's
+ View the Earth and Moon as it appeared to the crew. Land on the Moon, then blast back into lunar orbit!
+ Links to key moments of the Apollo 11 Lunar Program
+ Moon inbound and outbound trajectories for Apollo 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17
+ Accurate 3-D models of the Apollo Spacecraft - including the Saturn V rocket, the Command Service Module and the Lunar Lander Module
+ Lunar Landing site Panorama for Apollo 11
+ The simulated trajectories have been made as accurate as possible, using actual data published by NASA.
• UI changes to make it easier to create multiple observations of an object in a specific observing list.
• New user interface for the Observing List repository.
• Stability and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Still One of the Best
This program continues to be a stalwart part of my stable of SoftWare for astronomy. I use it with my imaging rig for telescope control and planning, and it integrates with the newer INDI platform SW well, as long as the developers include it as an option. I wish SS Pro6 was built with INDI in mind but it still works for me. I have been a fan of SS Pro since its inception So call me a fan-boy! I only hope the feature migration to an online format is limited, because I often view and image where there is no internet or cell signal. I am clueless as to how many astronomers are dialed into the cloud and I consider the hobby a fairly solitary endeavor, so those social aspects don't interest me. But enough about me -- this software continues to be a solid, well developed and user friendly piece of work, one that deserves a place in every astronomer's tool palette. The fact that the developers continue to monitor their users is encouraging, even though they are now part of the Starry Night crew. There are a few bugs but they are normally dealt with quickly. Easily recommended!
After 20 years, and only recently got back into astrophotographing and viewing, this application brings a scale and scope of information that would have taken me weeks or months to research. I went with a NexStar 8SE (had one of the original SCT's) and now getting all of the parts to work together - have made great progress (now need a few good viewing nights), but was impressed how easily SSPro connected to the WiFi and was able to control the scope. I've already got my "bucket list" of objects for future viewing. Would like to see an add-in built around CCD Calculator (or Astronomy Tools), especially the Field of View Calculator Test different telescope, camera & eyepiece combinations functionality. Maybe it's somewhere in SSPro, but haven't found it yet. Bit leary with buying this version and hope that the future upgrade path will not be too expensive, especially if I've invested a lot of time and gotten up the learning curve with this new app (for me).
Outstanding Astronomy App
I’ve loved learning and using Sky Safari Pro. I’ve used it to control my Orion 12” Go-To Dob and now my Celestron Nexstar Evolution HD 8” scopes. I’ve used the iOS version to control my scopes from both an iPad and an iPhone but so far, have not used the OSX version of the program on my MacBook. The OSX and iOS versions take a while to learn the differences but it’s mostly intuitive. I love the observing help Sky Safari provides in their Session planner and observing list functions. I also added the H-R Diagram option to learn more information about each star I observe. I’ve yet to integrate it with Live Sky but plan to work my way into that soon. Unfortunately, I live with many clear skies challenges here in western Washington so my days to use the app are few - not only do we have tall trees everywhere and clouds most of the year, now when we used to have relatively clear skies - we have forest fire smoke!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.