NFC is supported on iPhone 7 or newer only; iPad and iPod Touch do have the hardware to interact with NFC tags.
Read, write, interact, and hack your NFC tags on your supporting iPhone!
Smart NFC is one of the first apps to support native NFC writing directly from your device. With numerous custom records to get you started, you'll be writing to most NDEF-formatted NFC tags in no time. Don't have any NDEF-formatted tags? Format them in the Advanced section.
Tag-specific features are being added that allow you to edit a tag's memory directly, which opens the doors to all kinds of new features!
Tag not scanning? NDEF format new tags from the Advanced section to get them working right!
An NFC tag is written with a single "Message" which contains any number of "Records." These records define text, links, and data to be stored on the tag. Most tags can be scanned by holding the top of your iPhone within a few centimeters. A chip is only limited only by its size. As long as the chip is NDEF-formatted (most are, and other formats will be supported in a later version) and it has enough space, the limits are endless!
- Read, write, duplicate, erase, and permanently lock NDEF-formatted tags
- Monitor a tag's max capacity (usually somewhere between 256-1024 Bytes)
- Read, write, and interact with links (https://, sms://, facetime://, mailto:, etc.)
- Write a variety of pre-defined Social Media and website records
- Read and write text records with multiple language localizations
- Use Background Tag Reading to interact with NFC tags without an app. Write a link to a tag and then tap it to your phone. Voila! (Supported on iPhone XS and newer)
- Review and rewrite previous messages from your History to another tag
- Format factory-programmed tags as NDEF tags in-app (Supports most common tags such as Type 2 and Type 5 NFC tags)
- Read and write directly to a tag's memory
- Send custom commands directly to a tag
- And of course, target your users better by using a tag's unique identifier
- Dark Mode
- Privacy: we collect nothing as you use the app.
- NFC scanning is available on iPhone 7 and newer. iPad and iPod Touch do not have the required hardware.
- Background Tag Reading is available on iPhone XS and newer. iOS will present a notification for the first valid link stored on a tag.
- Any NDEF-formatted tags
- MIFARE Ultralight
- NTAG 213/215/216
- NXP ICODE® Tags, ISO 15693 Tags, and Type 5 Tags
Future support for:
- MIFARE DESFire
- MIFARE Classic tags are not currently supported by iOS
- Include a tag's ID and/or its read count in a record
- Password-protect an NFC chip
- Connect to a Bluetooth device
Feel free to Tweet feature requests to me at @0xA1EC
What's the password?
You've been asking for it, password protection is now available for supporting tags!
• Password protect NXP MIFARE Ultralight and NTAG 213/215/216 tags from the Advanced section
- Prevent writing without authentication
- Optionally prevent reading without authentication (not for the light-hearted)
- Check password status from the Advanced section
• Prevent rollover of Type 2 tag memory towards the end of a data dump
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app with easy-to-use UI
This app works great and does exactly what it sets out to do. The UI is simple to use and navigate. 👍
Works great, as advertised. Simple, fast, and reliable.
Add services please v2
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the positive review! iOS only supports NFC formatted tags, but most ISO14443 tags (like the one you mentioned) can be formatted in the app. Select "Advanced", and then scan it, and then click "Format."
If your "ISO14443" tag does not scan, it is likely unsupported by iOS.
I highly recommend "Ultralight" or NTAG 213, or NTAG 215, or NTAG 216 tags. They work great and are some of the most popular tags available for normal uses.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.