University of California, Davis
The SoilWeb for iOS application accesses soil survey information (the SSURGO dataset, published by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service) at your current location.
This app was designed to be a lightweight version of the SoilWeb GMap web application. SoilWeb GMap features an interactive map for viewing and querying individual map units, while this app does not. However, SoilWeb for iOS conveniently provides a link to the SoilWeb GMap web app.
SoilWeb GMap is available at https://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/
More information about SSURGO is available at https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/soils/survey/geo/?cid=nrcs142p2_053627
Features of SoilWeb for iOS include:
- Soil profile sketches, estimated proportions, and geomorphic position of soil components associated with the SSURGO "map unit" identified at your current location.
- Map unit aggregate data such as estimated water holding capacity.
- Soil survey area scale and publication date.
- Component details: soil taxonomy, soil property depth profiles, land classification ratings, hydraulic and erosion ratings, forest productivity, soil suitability ratings.
- Links to Official Series Descriptions (OSDs) generated automatically.
- Component links to related web apps: Series Extent Explorer (SEE) and Soil Data Explorer (SDE).
- Link to the SoilWeb GMap web application at your current location.
- Location accuracy setting allows you to select between standard accuracy (less accurate, uses less battery power) and high accuracy (more accurate, but may use more battery power).
- Location auto-refresh feature allows you to continually look up soil data at a specified time interval.
Update 2.3 adds improved soil profile sketches, carbon data for soil components, and another link to the SoilWeb GMap web application from the component "Links" tab.
Ratings and Reviews
I used this app frequently as a geoscience undergrad on field trips, and I know my soil science prof did as well because he encouraged everyone to download it. With iOS 11, unfortunately, it is no longer accessible, and I fear that students, researchers, farmers, and the curious public are now without a wonderful in-field utility and overall fantastic resource.
Please update this, developers!
Gave soil for wrong area
The map has the correct gps coordinates, however the software gave us a physical location and soil data for an area 4 miles east of the gps location. Needs work.
Developer Response ,
Hello, sorry the app didn't work as you expected. From your description, it sounds like you linked to the SoilWeb GMap web app from the iOS app. When you do this, the map will open with a marker at your precise GPS coordinates, then you need to tap the map to load soil data for the map unit at that location.
When you tap the geolocation button in the GMap web app, your location is determined by your browser using the best means possible. Depending on your browser settings, this could result in a location that is much less precise than what your GPS will normally provide. Perhaps this is what happened to you.
If you would like more explanation or help, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
A fine tool for discovering soil
Every natural resource scientist or civil engineer should have this app on their iPhone. All natural resources are dependent on the soil. This tool provides the soils information for where you are standing. The USA is the only country in the world with soils mapped border to border - with maps and a complete database. SoilWeb was developed by a brilliant PhD student that took advantage of that free database. Now, this tool puts the information about the ground below your feet into your hands. It is by far the easiest tool to use for accessing a very large and powerful database. One button search of the soils information is easy although finding the map is a puzzle. Download it and discover the amazing world beneath your feet.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- University of California, Davis
- 27.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 California Soil Resource Lab