The SoilWeb for iOS application accesses soil survey information (the SSURGO dataset, published by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service) at your current location.
This app was designed to be a lightweight version of the SoilWeb GMap web application. SoilWeb GMap features an interactive map for viewing and querying individual map units, while this app does not. However, SoilWeb for iOS conveniently provides a link to the SoilWeb GMap web app.
SoilWeb GMap is available at https://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/
More information about SSURGO is available at https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/soils/survey/geo/?cid=nrcs142p2_053627
Features of SoilWeb for iOS include:
- Soil profile sketches, estimated proportions, and geomorphic position of soil components associated with the SSURGO "map unit" identified at your current location.
- Map unit aggregate data such as estimated water holding capacity.
- Soil survey area scale and publication date.
- Component details: soil taxonomy, soil property depth profiles, land classification ratings, hydraulic and erosion ratings, forest productivity, soil suitability ratings.
- Links to Official Series Descriptions (OSDs) generated automatically.
- Component links to related web apps: Series Extent Explorer (SEE) and Soil Data Explorer (SDE).
- Link to the SoilWeb GMap web application at your current location.
- Location accuracy setting allows you to select between standard accuracy (less accurate, uses less battery power) and high accuracy (more accurate, but may use more battery power).
- Location auto-refresh feature allows you to continually look up soil data at a specified time interval.
Initial release of version 2.0, a major update of the original "SoilWeb for the iPhone" app
Ratings and Reviews
I used this app frequently as a geoscience undergrad on field trips, and I know my soil science prof did as well because he encouraged everyone to download it. With iOS 11, unfortunately, it is no longer accessible, and I fear that students, researchers, farmers, and the curious public are now without a wonderful in-field utility and overall fantastic resource.
Please update this, developers!
This is the premier soil inventory app! I use this regularly for my natural resources project work. Major thanks to the developers for creating such a useful and intuitive data delivery interface for USDA soil survey data.
Needs a soil map like web soil survey. Pretty useless otherwise.
- University of California, Davis
- 39.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 California Soil Resource Lab
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.