The SoilWeb for iOS application accesses soil survey information (the SSURGO dataset, published by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service) at your current location.
This app was designed to be a lightweight version of the SoilWeb GMap web application. SoilWeb GMap features an interactive map for viewing and querying individual map units, while this app does not. However, SoilWeb for iOS conveniently provides a link to the SoilWeb GMap web app.
SoilWeb GMap is available at https://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/
More information about SSURGO is available at https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/soils/survey/geo/?cid=nrcs142p2_053627
Features of SoilWeb for iOS include:
- Soil profile sketches, estimated proportions, and geomorphic position of soil components associated with the SSURGO "map unit" identified at your current location.
- Map unit aggregate data such as estimated water holding capacity.
- Soil survey area scale and publication date.
- Component details: soil taxonomy, soil property depth profiles, land classification ratings, hydraulic and erosion ratings, forest productivity, soil suitability ratings.
- Links to Official Series Descriptions (OSDs) generated automatically.
- Component links to related web apps: Series Extent Explorer (SEE) and Soil Data Explorer (SDE).
- Link to the SoilWeb GMap web application at your current location.
- Location accuracy setting allows you to select between standard accuracy (less accurate, uses less battery power) and high accuracy (more accurate, but may use more battery power).
- Location auto-refresh feature allows you to continually look up soil data at a specified time interval.
Update 2.2 adds support for iOS 14
Ratings and Reviews
Worked great until it didn’t
I used this app daily for my work. Then suddenly one day it wouldn’t load then it wouldn’t even open. I deleted it. Downloaded it. Emailed the developer who didn’t know anything was wrong. So now for about 3 to 4 months it doesn’t work.
A fine tool for discovering soil
Every natural resource scientist or civil engineer should have this app on their iPhone. All natural resources are dependent on the soil. This tool provides the soils information for where you are standing. The USA is the only country in the world with soils mapped border to border - with maps and a complete database. SoilWeb was developed by a brilliant PhD student that took advantage of that free database. Now, this tool puts the information about the ground below your feet into your hands. It is by far the easiest tool to use for accessing a very large and powerful database. One button search of the soils information is easy although finding the map is a puzzle. Download it and discover the amazing world beneath your feet.
First it was going to a dusty room in the office for soil info, then it was going online for the desktop only version. Now everything I need is on my phone, instant with GPS! Thought it had a map but that may be another app.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- University of California, Davis
- 28 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 California Soil Resource Lab
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.