Speech Assistant AAC is a text-to-speech app designed for people who are speech impaired, for example due to Aphasia, MND/ALS, Autism, Stroke, Cerebral Palsy or other speech problems.
With the app you can create categories and phrases, which are placed on buttons. With these buttons you can create messages that can be shown or spoken (text-to-speech). It is also possible to type any text using the keyboard.
• Easy to use and completely customizable to your needs and preferences.
• Categories to organize your phrases.
• History for quick access to previously typed phrases.
• Option to select images from your Photo Library on the buttons.
• Option to record speech or use one of the many iOS text-to-speech voices.
• Full screen button to show your message with a large font.
• Auto-Search feature that places the found phrases on the on-screen keyboard.
• Designed for iPhone/iPad and both support portrait and landscape layout.
• Backup to iCloud, Mail or AirDrop.
Categories and phrases
• Add, change or delete your own categories and phrases.
• You can create an unlimited number of categories to organize your phrases for quick access.
• Create users with their own categories, phrases and settings for different languages, persons or situations.
• Long press (optional setting) to easily edit the phrase and category buttons.
• In the settings you can quickly and easily edit multiple phrases in one go.
• Option to automatically save the phrases in the history category.
• With Backup to iCloud or AirDrop you can transfer your categories and phrases to another iPhone/iPad.
• The app can also be used while making Phone, FaceTime and Skype calls (with iOS 13).
• So you don't need a second device anymore for the speech output.
• The speech output will be audible for the other person on the phone (not on your device).
• The size of the buttons, the textbox and the text can be adjusted.
• The app has various color schemes and you can also create a personal color scheme.
• Change the order of the buttons in the settings with drag and drop.
• Change the colors of the icons on the buttons.
• Show your message full screen with a very large font.
• Useful for communicating in a noisy environment.
• Button to rotate the text to show your message to the person opposite of you.
• Pronunciation corrections can be defined in the settings.
• The rate and pitch of the speech can be adjusted.
• Option to speak each Word or Character directly while typing.
• Optional highlighting of the spoken words.
• Pause and resume speaking by tapping the speak button (optional setting).
• Option to record speech on to a button.
• Option to place an image on the buttons with phrases by selecting an image from your Photo Library.
• Connect a bluetooth keyboard and create shortcuts for the functions Speak, Clear, Show and Attention Sound.
• Button to share your message to mail, text and social media.
• Option for preventing double tapping by disabling the button (for a short time) after touching.
• Undo option in case of unintentionally tapping the clear button.
• Abbreviations expansion to reduce keystrokes.
• Attention sound button on Main and Full screen.
About the app
• This app is developed by ASoft.
• The app has won an innovation award: The Vodafone Mobiles For Good Challenge in the category Smart Accessibility.
• The app does not require an internet connection.
• For feedback or questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.asoft.nl
• A user manual is available on the website.
Languages and Voices
• The voice can be selected in the settings of the app.
• The app uses the built-in iOS text-to-speech voices.
• There are 90 voices for 27 languages available. There are for instance 9 English US, 6 English UK and 4 Australian voices available.
Minor improvements and fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Speech Assistant is so easy to use and customize. Love that there are diff voices and with the ability to change voice pitch and speech rate. It’s very intuitive and my 85-year old patient, who hates “technology,” was able to use it easily after a 5-min demo! Thank you to the developer for this clean, functional, flexible, and intuitive program...and it is extremely affordable. I’m so grateful to be able to recommend such a fine App to my patients!
I use this for an aphasic client. Extremely easy to program with novel “carrier” phrase/question-forms for repetitive practice. I wonder if there is a way (I may have missed) to make the pictures I’ve programmed onto the text buttons appear in the larger read-out text windows. That would make the stimulus selections more salient and appealing. Otherwise, the application is terrific, very reasonably priced, and always useful.
Great app for speech
I love this app. It has really helped me communicate with everyone. I am very happy that it has a way to make the text larger as I am visually impaired. The one thing I would really like if it was added was if each of the buttons could be customized with a color so I could find the button I want faster. Overall Great app!
Developer Response ,
Hello, thanks for the nice review! The option to customize individual phrase-buttons with a color has been added in the latest update of the app.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.