Great voices at free tier, feature set that exceeds the competition and no subscription for the premium tier, that is the reason why you'll love Speech Central. Here are just some of our outstanding features:
◦ The best PDF support in text to speech apps - your reading flow will not be interrupted by footers, headers, footnotes, in text citations and long web links as they are detected by the advanced artificial intelligence in most cases. No other app has all those features. Even the scanned PDF documents are imported with titles recognised.
◦ The best web support in text to speech apps - for the first time you can listen everything as both articles and headlines (including RSS feeds) are supported. Articles can be added from the headlines page for fully uninterrupted flow or from Safari. And you can send articles from the desktop browser with the Pocket extension.
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats.
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in.
◦ Import the text from the physical books with the camera.
◦ The widest choice of options to customize the voice, appearance and various other parameters.
◦ Sync playlist items across Apple devices including with the macOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ Apple Watch app that can play the content independently of the main app.
◦ The best email support in text to speech apps - just drag emails from the Mail app to Speech Central. Works on the iPhones, too!
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Functions of audio buttons can be customized for high productivity and accessibility. The widest selection of tools to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ Export the text to the audio file.
◦ The app is completely free for blind people. It is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content even when the syncing is enabled.
◦ Using the local voices instead of streaming limits the global warming effects.
With over 20,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
By moving your reading activities to commuting, walking, running, doing the housework or another activity you can save an hour each day. You'll also save eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer. Keeping the screen off grants that you won't get into the internet addiction and waste your time on unwanted things, and thus it can also help people with ADHD.
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
- The free version has a daily limitation in the number of articles that you can add to it which is removed by purchasing the Pro add-on.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of the operating system.
- The license is valid only for this operating system. Other operating systems have separate licenses.
- DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.
- For languages other than English the support is provided using the auto-translation tools
New default commands for previous and next buttons
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect For Nerds Who Love Excercise
I love reading. I’ll pretty much read anything from articles to cereal boxes. I don’t know what it is, but I just love the process of gaining information anyway I can. Anyway, I also love to exercise. I go to the gym, I bike, I roller blade, I do everything short of palates.
Well, I wanted to read articles while I was biking, since audiobooks just weren’t cutting it. I found a really good article I wanted to read, that I think was about the anatomy of blue whales. Of course, you can’t read an article and bike at the same time... not safely anyway. So, I pulled up the App Store to see if their were any good text to speech apps. I went through several, before I decided on this one.
This is a very good app for me because I’m so fast paced and the read-along doesn’t go too slow. It goes at just the right pace I need to be able to listen and concentrate on the biking trail at the same time. Thank you so much for this awesome app!
A useful, flexible and well maintained app
2019 Nov 28 update:
There were three updates in the last two weeks, the app no longer crashes in my use case scenario and devs even rewrote the settings screen to become part of the app instead of having it in iOS settings to apparently overcome an iOS limitation, and it no longer crashes either.
Well done. Thank you.
Newcomers - take a look at the settings screen there are a lot of tweaks you will find useful.
2019 Nov 13 original review:
Really great and useful when works, but crashes every few minutes. The application simply closes, sometimes sound disappears few second prior to that. What is good though - it remembers the last paragraph and its a matter of two taps to get it reading again - tap the app icon and tap the book (improvement suggestion - make it one tap - resume the last book when the app opens).
I use it on CarPlay with Waze running on the car screen and the app running on the phone screen, maybe it will help you debug. Please fix it so that I could justify buying Pro. One more observation - when I tap settings of Button Functions, tap on one of the buttons to see the list of options and then tap Back - I’m thrown out of the settings. The settings crash out. When I open the settings again - the changes made to settings seem to have been saved.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review!
I love this
I struggle with reading because of adhd and possible dyslexia. school is difficult because I have to re-read a page at least 5 times before I understand it. I was doing a review over an article in forensic science and could not read the article for the life of me. I was getting frustrated and thought “I wish there was an app that would read it out loud to me” sure enough I went to the App Store, typed in ‘speech reader’ and found this. I immediately downloaded it and used it for the article I was trying to read. It read to me and a huge wave of relief came over me I wanted to cry. Reading is so hard for me and this app just basically saved my life for college lol. Thank you for creating this app, I appreciate it. The only down side is that I wish there were more voice options because the robotic voice gets a little annoying but I’ll take it!
Developer Response ,
Hi, your review is really touching, I am so glad to hear that the app can help someone in such way, thanks so much for sharing it! Considering the voice, you can install additional voices in the iOS Settings app. If you need more info read this link: http://labsii.com/ios-help/#voices or just reply to the email that you will get with this comment.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 86.3 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 9.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2014-2022 Labsii Llc. All rights reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Speech Central Pro $7.99