With over 10,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
appPicker: "... is a game-changer, and is slowly transforming my life..."
The app implements state of the art features for voice readers:
◦ The best in class support for the web sites / news reading.
- listen to the all web pages - both articles and headlines (first ever) supported
- RSS feeds
- import from any app that can share a link like Safari or Twitter
- open articles from headline pages
- sync articles with Pocket
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Sync playlist items across Apple devices including with the macOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ The app is tested to be accessible with VoiceOver by legally blind users. Bookshare, an accessible online library is integrated into the app.
◦ Functions of audio buttons can be customized for high productivity and accessibility. The widest selection of tools to control the speed and position of how the text is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with any of 27 languages that have text-to-speech support on iOS with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ OCR function to import the text from the camera or from the scanned PDF
◦ create and export audio files
◦ your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content even when syncing is enabled
By moving your reading activities to commuting, walking, running, doing the housework or another activity you can save an hour each day. You'll also save eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer. Keeping the screen off grants that you won't get into the internet addiction and waste your time on unwanted things, and thus it can also help to people with ADHD. As a bonus, even if your internet connection is unstable you won't notice any interruptions.
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments and disabilities like dyslexia (dyslexia friendly font is included in the app).
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format. All those formats will work only if a document has no DRM.
Latest iOS features including Dark mode, Siri Shortcuts, the latest visual style, drag and drop, Spotlight Search, Dynamic Type are fully supported.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
- The free version has a daily limitation in the number of articles that you can add to it which is removed by purchasing the Pro add-on.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of iOS.
- The Pro-Add is valid for iOS platform. Other platforms have separate licenses.
- New toolbar button set for iPad when playing Headlines.
- Consolidated "Voice" and "Prefer enhanced quality" in one setting
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Perfect For Nerds Who Love Excercise
I love reading. I’ll pretty much read anything from articles to cereal boxes. I don’t know what it is, but I just love the process of gaining information anyway I can. Anyway, I also love to exercise. I go to the gym, I bike, I roller blade, I do everything short of palates.
Well, I wanted to read articles while I was biking, since audiobooks just weren’t cutting it. I found a really good article I wanted to read, that I think was about the anatomy of blue whales. Of course, you can’t read an article and bike at the same time... not safely anyway. So, I pulled up the App Store to see if their were any good text to speech apps. I went through several, before I decided on this one.
This is a very good app for me because I’m so fast paced and the read-along doesn’t go too slow. It goes at just the right pace I need to be able to listen and concentrate on the biking trail at the same time. Thank you so much for this awesome app!
A useful, flexible and well maintained app
2019 Nov 28 update:
There were three updates in the last two weeks, the app no longer crashes in my use case scenario and devs even rewrote the settings screen to become part of the app instead of having it in iOS settings to apparently overcome an iOS limitation, and it no longer crashes either.
Well done. Thank you.
Newcomers - take a look at the settings screen there are a lot of tweaks you will find useful.
2019 Nov 13 original review:
Really great and useful when works, but crashes every few minutes. The application simply closes, sometimes sound disappears few second prior to that. What is good though - it remembers the last paragraph and its a matter of two taps to get it reading again - tap the app icon and tap the book (improvement suggestion - make it one tap - resume the last book when the app opens).
I use it on CarPlay with Waze running on the car screen and the app running on the phone screen, maybe it will help you debug. Please fix it so that I could justify buying Pro. One more observation - when I tap settings of Button Functions, tap on one of the buttons to see the list of options and then tap Back - I’m thrown out of the settings. The settings crash out. When I open the settings again - the changes made to settings seem to have been saved.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review!
I love this
I struggle with reading because of adhd and possible dyslexia. school is difficult because I have to re-read a page at least 5 times before I understand it. I was doing a review over an article in forensic science and could not read the article for the life of me. I was getting frustrated and thought “I wish there was an app that would read it out loud to me” sure enough I went to the App Store, typed in ‘speech reader’ and found this. I immediately downloaded it and used it for the article I was trying to read. It read to me and a huge wave of relief came over me I wanted to cry. Reading is so hard for me and this app just basically saved my life for college lol. Thank you for creating this app, I appreciate it. The only down side is that I wish there were more voice options because the robotic voice gets a little annoying but I’ll take it!
Developer Response ,
Hi, your review is really touching, I am so glad to hear that the app can help someone in such way, thanks so much for sharing it! Considering the voice, you can install additional voices in the iOS Settings app. If you need more info read this link: http://labsii.com/ios-help/#voices or just reply to the email that you will get with this comment.
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 51.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Copyright © 2014-2020 Labsii Llc. All rights reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Speech Central Pro $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.