Been abandoned by other apps since you updated to macOS Catalina of Big Sur? Did you love DragThing, but are missing it? SpeedDock is the best utility for Mac.
• Create customizable docks for your desktop
• Docks can "float" anywhere on screen or be "fixed" to one edge
• Add apps, folders, and files for easy shortcuts to your favorites (or even browser bookmarks)
• Resize icon size and spacing, show or hide item names, adjust dock transparency
• Organize your apps into tabs
• Display a dock with all open applications
• Assign hotkey shortcuts to dock items
• Customize icon sorting, size, and spacing
• Lock your docks to prevent accidental editing
• Display an indicator showing currently active applications
• Customize dock organization with spacers
• Show the trash on the desktop—now it's easier to discard items or eject media
SpeedDock makes accessing your most commonly used items a cinch!
A few minor improvements in this release:
• Fix a bug in dock item sizing
• Small usability improvements and fixes
Did you see all the great things in our recent updates?
• NEW! Reorder your tabs in the preferences
• NEW! Show or hide the trash background
• NEW! Add spacers to your docks to customize their layout.
• NEW! Customize the dock transparency on hover
• NEW! Silent trash: play the empty trash sound or keep it quiet
• NEW! Customize the alignment of your dock tabs
• NEW! View dock folder contents (just right-click)
• NEW! Application dock: see all your running apps
• NEW! Display the number of items in the trash
As usual, get in touch if you need help or have a request.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Nice. Hope they'll consider one improvement
Actually two. It would be nice if, like Station, it could hold its position on the desktop when the user switches to another desktop on the same screen. That way it would always be there (on the right side of the second screen in my case) even though I was switching desktops on that screen.
Second, how about an auto hide so the app doesn't use up screen real estate when not being used.
Speeds Up My Daily Workflow
I tried to review SpeedDock previously but somehow the review never made its way to the App Store page - Be that as it may I wanted to try again as the App is working better than I had hoped and the level of support I’ve received is more than worthy of 5 Stars.
With the arrival of Mac OS Catalina and later Big Sur many of us have been mourning the loss of DragThing as a Dock replacement App, not to mention having a Trash Can on the desktop.
I searched the App store and sampled a few candidates but none of them matched the functionality I was used to – That is not until I found SpeedDock
Admittedly there were a couple of hiccups with the earlier version I initially installed, but an email to Support was answered within an hour or two along with a query as to what features I found most valuable in DragThing.
This has begun a back and forth dialogue wherein several of my suggestions & observations have been incorporated into updates to the SpeedDock App.
Quite a refreshing experience and not one most of us end users have enjoyed with many other software developers to be sure.
The bottom line is that SpeedDock speeds up my daily workflow, allowing me to easily switch between the groups of programs I need to use on a daily basis to handle the multitude of diverse tasks at hand.
Knowing the developers care about making SpeedDock better and being open to suggestions makes it all that much better!
Highly useful for my workflow, but needs a little more work
I really do like SpeedDock. It does a great job of giving me quick access to my commonly accessed folders and hard drives. For all practical purposes, it's very useful! The trash can on the desktop is a nice nod back to DragThing and the classic macOS user experience.
I'm running into one problem, though. Namely, that even though I have SpeedDock set to open upon login, it never does. I have to manually launch it.
For future features, I'd like an option where I can hover over the icons in my SpeedDock and see their names. This would make the program even more useful to me.
Another issue: When I reboot my Mac, any folders or external drives are not showing up in SpeedDock. I have to manually put those items back in. Maybe SpeedDock can wait until all the external drives are fully loaded before removing the icons.
Keep up the great work!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback! If you update to the latest version, hovering over items to see their names is already added to the app. As for your login issue, check the login items in your System Preferences or get in touch with our support to resolve this.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.