Flexible dock and DragThing of the future!
Been abandoned by other apps since you updated to macOS Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey? Did you love DragThing, but are missing it? SpeedDock is the best launcher utility for Mac.
• Create customizable docks for your desktop
• Docks can "float" anywhere on screen or be "fixed" to one edge, even control strip style
• Assign docks to different desktop spaces or monitors
• Add apps, folders, and files for easy shortcuts to your favorites (or even browser bookmarks)
• Resize icon size and spacing, show or hide item names, adjust dock transparency
• Organize your apps into tabs
• Display your docks in a menu bar icon and assign hotkeys for easy access
• Just control-click (or right-click) on dock folders to see their contents or settings
• Display a dock with all open applications, including hidden processes and network volumes
• Assign hotkey shortcuts to dock items
• Customize icon sorting, size, and spacing
• Lock your docks to prevent accidental editing
• Display an indicator showing currently open applications
• Customize dock organization with spacers
• Create text-only docks with custom names
• Show the trash on the desktop—now it's easier to discard items or eject media
• Customize docks for different spaces and monitors
• Add sounds when you click dock items or tabs
• Auto show/hide your docks or use keyboard shortcuts to do it
• Docks show all open apps or all mounted network volumes
SpeedDock makes accessing your most commonly used items a cinch!
This version has just some small fixes and improvements.
• NEW! Duplicate a dock: easily make copies of your docks
• NEW! Show/hide docks in the menu bar menu
• NEW! Control timing of docks using auto show/hide
• Many other small bugs fixes and usability improvements
This is the last update to support macOS 12 so update now to continue getting SpeedDock updates.
Ratings and Reviews
Ideal for switching apps without leaving your Space
If you use Mission Control Spaces to give yourself two different work environments (e.g. one for personal stuff and the other for your day job), you've probably noticed that the MacOS dock has a nasty habit of switching you out of your current environment when an app has windows in both Spaces. Click on a MacOS Dock icon Mail and poof you're suddenly out of your work mode and responding to a personal email about skiing on the weekend. Not great for focus.
SpeedDock is THE ONLY dock that doesn't switch you out of your current Space. Believe me, I've tried them all--uBar, Active Dock, Hyperdock, you name it. They all seem to rely on some dumb underlying MacOS Dock logic that tends to alternate windows and Spaces.
Plus, Ron and the SpeedDock team have been *extremely* responsive to bug reports and feature requests. The new auto-hide function was the one critical missing feature to save screen real estate, and that's been addressed in the most recent release. You guys rock!
Developer Response ,
Glad you're happy! Keep those ideas coming. :)
SpeedDock is a slick app that puts your needed apps in an accessible dock so you can get them when you need them. Much, much better than Apple's version and saves a lot of screen area as well. I had three issues with using the app and Ron solved all of them within 24 hours including follow-up emails to make sure my needs were met quickly and completely. Great app, great support.
After upgrading to Ventura, I found I could no longer use my long-time favorite dock alternative DragThing.
I looked around for an alternative, tested a few other apps and then found Speed Dock. I set it up with my favorite apps and folders. It did nearly everything that DragThing did, and I was delighted—but found that it conflicted with something else running on my Mac.
Speed Dock’s excellent tech support (thanks, Ron!) worked with me for nearly 2 weeks to narrow it down to Default Folder X, and then contacted Default Folder’s tech people to inform them of the problem. Within a few days, Default Folder X issued an update, and the problem I’d been having was solved.
Wonderful app and great support!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 8 MB
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- ©2023 PlayShakespeare.com. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.