Been abandoned by other apps since you updated to macOS Catalina? Did you love DragThing, but are missing it? SpeedDock is the best utility for Mac.
• Create customizable docks for your desktop
• Docks can "float" anywhere on screen or be "fixed" to one edge
• Add apps, folders, and files for easy shortcuts to your favorites (or even browser bookmarks)
• Resize icon size and spacing, show or hide item names
• Organize your apps into tabs
• Assign hotkey shortcuts to dock items
• Customize icon sorting, size, and spacing
• Lock your docks to prevent accidental editing
• Display an indicator showing currently active applications
• Show the trash on the desktop, it's easy to discard items or eject media
SpeedDock makes accessing your most commonly used items a cinch!
Our best update yet! Lots of new things, including:
• NEW! Use tabs to group and organize your dock items
• NEW! Move your trash icon to anywhere on your desktop
• NEW! Import/export your settings, save a backup to iCloud
• NEW! Hide the app icon in the macOS Finder dock
• Stability improvements, improvements when using network drives
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Highly useful for my workflow, but needs a little more work
I really do like SpeedDock. It does a great job of giving me quick access to my commonly accessed folders and hard drives. For all practical purposes, it's very useful! The trash can on the desktop is a nice nod back to DragThing and the classic macOS user experience.
I'm running into one problem, though. Namely, that even though I have SpeedDock set to open upon login, it never does. I have to manually launch it.
For future features, I'd like an option where I can hover over the icons in my SpeedDock and see their names. This would make the program even more useful to me.
Another issue: When I reboot my Mac, any folders or external drives are not showing up in SpeedDock. I have to manually put those items back in. Maybe SpeedDock can wait until all the external drives are fully loaded before removing the icons.
Keep up the great work!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback! If you update to the latest version, hovering over items to see their names is already added to the app. As for your login issue, check the login items in your System Preferences or get in touch with our support to resolve this.
Finally a replacement for DragThing!
I've used DragThing since 1995 or 96 and I am absolutely dependent on it to open apps, folders and files on my mac. But since Mojave upgrade I have found that the app consumes too much memory and it actually slows down my computer. Now they have announced they won't upgrade it to Catalina, so I have been looking desperately for a replacement. I am soo happy to have found SpeedDock! It does all that I need in an elegant interface, and the developer has been attentive to the suggestions of the early users, adding features (like the dock disappearing when not in use) that make it more useful and practical. Kudos for SpeedDock!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback! We encourage users to send us their suggestions and feedback to make the app better!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.