Spelling Notebook: Learn, Test 4+
Learn your spelling words!
Ako Software Ltd.
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Create a personalized list of words to practice. Test your spelling - hear each word spoken. Get a star for each correct word. Practice just the words you have yet to master. Retest your words at anytime. Students can practice their words independently.
Originally designed to be a replacement for a student's spelling notebook which lists words to be learnt for school each week. Unlike a paper notebook, SpellingNotebook can speak each of the words to enable testing and practice without seeing the written word. SpellingNotebook contains a full searchable spelling dictionary so that words can be added directly to the student's word list, minimizing entry errors.
* This app is awesome I have a spelling test coming up and I can spell every word correctly thanks to this app!!! (US)
* Makes spelling practice fun (UK)
* So fun!!!! This is a great app for kids and adults! (US)
* Great App!!! Whole class uses it!! (Australia)
Spelling Notebook features:
* Students can practice independently
* More than 100,000 words - add new words to the built in spelling dictionary when needed
* Spelling Notebook has a built in voice that can say all words in its extensive dictionary and any new english words added
* Optionally Record your own voice for the word you want to practice. You can record just the word, or even a whole phrase to help you recognize which word to spell.
* Multiple English regions: UK, US, Canada, Australia and NZ
* Earn a star for correct words
* Keep multiple word lists
* Edit word lists: add or delete words, add or delete an entire word list, rename your list
* Import words from one wordlist into another
* Words are selected from an extensive dictionary - minimizing entry errors
* Help available in app to guide and support
* Word list Copy and Paste
* History of Word list tests and practice
* Email test results
The built-in spelling dictionary is automatically selected by region. For countries outside US, Canada, Australia and NZ, the UK spelling dictionary is selected.
Note that recording your words on iPod touch models prior to the 4th generation requires an external microphone. The record button will prompt you if Spelling Notebook detects that no microphone is available.
See our website for online help that includes more screenshots.
Follow us on Instagram: @spellingnotebook
Recommended Ages: All, Kids
Categories: Education, Productivity, Apps for Kids
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!
* Practice option to skip words to support hand written practice
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, paying extra is worth it 🤩
I got this app to study for an upcoming spelling bee at my school.
- I recommend this app for sure if you need to practice spelling words but have no one to say the words for you
I was sad to find out that I could only put 10 words on a list… since I had 350 words to learn.
Luckily the premium version was only ~$2.00, once I paid I was able to put as many words as I wanted to.
The app has a great feature where you can choose whether it shows you the spelling and how many tries until it does show how to spell it.
Most of the time the pronunciation is clear but if it is not then you can record your own pronunciation of the words.
When making the lists you can search for words that are currently in the dictionary, if they are not yet you can add the words anyways and the “voice” pronounces them correctly.
When you test yourself on the words you are given a chance to retest the words you missed.
Overall, this is a great app for those who need to practice specific words for the spelling bee or words you are challenged with in general.
- one suggestion I have is to add a dark mode or background color change so the app isn’t as harsh on your eyes if you are studying in the dark… but I love this app A LOT ❤️❤️❤️
This app has helped me so much with my Spelling in one day even though you can’t fit more than eight words in one list you can always make two lists and add more words if there is one thing I would change I would let there be at least 10 words in one list but other than that this is an amazing app and I haven’t found another like it it really looks at helping kids who aren’t the best at spelling and Me who struggles with spelling very much I found this is one of the most helpful apps please get this app it is very helpful
We love it.
My kids really love this app. We used to have to go over the words on the way to school in the mornings with me reading them out. That wasn't so safe while driving. This makes it easy for me to record the words and hand them my phone in the mornings and we use the test setting instead of the practice setting so I can see how they've done and what we need to work on. Also could totally be used in other ways like recording vocabulary definitions and just using the word "test" on every one so it would say "test then the definition" and then the kid would type in test but say the right vocab word out loud so they can test themselves. Idk just thinking outside the box.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ako Software Limited
- 30 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011 Ako Software Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Premium $1.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.