The ultimate virtual reality experience: A VR Planetarium! Star Chart VR lets you explore the solar system and night sky in a beautiful and accurate real-time simulation.
*** Star Chart VR is the virtual reality version of the hugely successful augmented reality astronomy & star gazing app - Star Chart - downloaded by over 20 million people world-wide. ***
Delight in exploring the solar system, from the Sun to the smallest moons of Saturn and out to the coldest, darkest, farthest reaches of Pluto. Gaze down and marvel at our solar system from above. Look up in wonder at the rings of Saturn. Feel the awe of floating in space around worlds no human has yet set foot on. Understand how the constellations of our night sky are made up of stars distant to each other in both space and time. Embrace the impossible distances of our solar system and the inordinate scale of our universe.
Star Chart for Virtual Reality currently includes:
- An accurate real-time simulation of the visible stars and planets as you see them from Earth
- A 3D solar system to explore, including the Sun, the planets and major moons
- All 88 constellations based on the beautiful artwork of 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius
- And much much more.
What better way to learn about the night sky and astronomy than to immerse yourself as a virtual astronaut travelling through space. This experience is the perfect way for both the young and old to let their inner child experience the thrills of embracing the final frontier.
- Star Chart VR requires a Cardboard viewer to use (button / trigger enabled). Learn more and get your own Cardboard viewer at http://g.co/cardboard
- Virtual Reality is best experienced running at 60 frames per second. Most high end modern phones will provide you with smooth frame-rate (a result of processing speed) and seamless head tracking (a result of sensor update speed and accuracy). Star Chart for VR was developed on an iPhone 6 and runs beautifully on this and higher end devices.
- Written from the ground up for Virtual Reality, Star Chart VR is in many ways a superior product to the original Star Chart, but please do not expect full feature parity. We will continue to develop and enhance Star Chart VR over time, so at some point Star Chart VR may reach parity (where applicable), but there are no promises.
Feel free to provide us with your thoughts, feedback and feature requests, and for help using Star Chart VR please see the Virtual Reality section of our Star Chart User Guide: www.escapistgames.com/starchart/instruction_manual.html
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Various enhancements & bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Needs empathy for the guy wearing the headset
A tap interface on an iOS VR app? A stare-based UI would make this so much more immersive. Imagine being able to fly around from planet to planet by just staring at a button where the dumb "tap here" button is for long enough?
Graphics are really nice.
First let me get the minor nuisances out of the way: The font size and resolution make it difficult to read some of the details. Also, it appears that the moon is not in the correct constellation when using the telescope mode from earth, and I would prefer the Milky Way to have more contrast. This app still gets five stars because of the beautiful design and effects. It is awesome flying between planets and moons. For a breathtaking view, go to a close-up of Saturn and then select one of the moons below the ring system. As you start to fly towards that moon rotate your view back to Saturn and watch as you pass through the ring system and perhaps the shadow of the planet on the rings! Also love the surface features that can be switched on or off. It would be nice if you could back off from the sun just a bit to witness some of the prominences seen only as you approach or leave it. Perhaps updates might include images of some of the better known deep sky objects? Very impressive program and it really shows off what VR can do. Anxiously eager for updates!
A MUST have for VR enthusiasts
I just got into the VR game and I must say this app is the pinnacle of VR apps that I have experienced. Sure, it is not nearly as full featured as some other astronomy apps that I have including it's normal app equivalent. However, with the correct kind of monetary support this can be something even more amazing.
Please do yourself a favor and purchase this. No amount of explanation can fully describe the immersive experience it offers.
I am affiliated with Star Chart in any way. Just a chill dude from CA that wanted to try something new.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- 241.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Escape Velocity Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.