Story Planner is a focused, flexible app to outline all kind of stories. Used by writers, screenwriters, producers, directors and all kind of story tellers, Story Planner has quick and easy-to-use story organization, with sync on all your devices and export options to help you write the best stories wherever you are.
Story Planner does NOT include in-app purchases. When you purchase the app you have access to all features and we won't bother you with in-app subscriptions, ever.
*SET IT YOUR WAY*
- Configure Story Planner to make it fit your writing and stories. Organize your characters, locations and plots, and build your scenes step by step, always with your own style. Outlining will be the easiest, fastest and most fun part of your writing process.
- Create as many writing projects as you wish and organize it with tags
- Open several windows on your iPad and edit different parts of your project, or different projects at the same time.
- Archive projects to keep them around, but out of your way
- Create detailed characters profiles, locations and plot lines for your stories. Add photos to have a more complete profile
- Create the scenes for your story and arrange them by dragging and dropping them into place
- Quickly create all the elements of the story from within the scene card itself
- Check your story stats to see your whole story at a glance
- Choose dark or light mode to make writing more comfortable. You can also change the language, font size... Story Planner adapts to you and the way you prefer to work
*YOUR PROJECTS EVERYWHERE*
- Sync your projects between Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Projects sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Multiple export options including Scrivener, Final Draft, pdf, rtf and txt
- Automatic backups so that your projects are always safe
*YOUR PROJECTS, NOT OURS*
- Story Planner is absolutely private: We cannot see your projects, in any case!
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
Please visit storyplanner.app for more information. You can also contact us via email@example.com or on Twitter @StoryPlannerApp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
We have put thousands of hours into creating Story Planner. We read every single one of your reviews. If you enjoy using Story Planner please take a minute to leave us a nice review, thank you! :)
Refinements and Changes:
· We have improved the duplicate function. Now, when you duplicate an item, it will appear immediately below to the original item.
· We have fixed a bug whereby the app sometimes crashed when you open the Character Arc info in the Character Cards.
· Now, when the keyboard on the iPhone is on the screen, the buttons for more options and images will work properly.
· Fixed a bug on the iPad that made that several backups were created if you have several windows of the app opened.
· Fixed a bug on iPad whereby when you were working in a split view and drag a scene to drop it in a different act, the scene appeared in an incorrect place.
· Now, when you drag a scene and drop it into a Non-Act section, it will remain in this section.
We constantly work to add new, useful features, adapt Story Planner to the latest technical advancements, and fix occurring issues. You can follow our news or send us your feedback via Twitter: @StoryPlannerApp or on our site www.storyplanner.app - Thanks and happy outlining!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
NOTE This will only communicate with Scrivener if you have paid for the version 3 update!!
I write with Scrivener, and part of the reason I purchased this software was because you can export your project directly into Scrivener. I created an outline with Story Planner and enjoyed a lot of the features. However, when I went to export, it gave me options for Scrivener 2 (what I currently run) and Scrivener 3 (a paid update of that software, which I do not have). I created a Scrivener 2 export, which then wouldn't work in my version of Scrivener. I understand this issue is related to Scrivener's functionality as well. Instead I tried to export my outline as an RTF and just import that into Scrivener, but the export only shows previews of text, so it was basically useless- my details about what I wanted to happen in a scene cut off after the first two lines!! Instead I had to dual screen and then copy/ paste from one program to another, which was time consuming and not was I was expecting when I paid for this program.
Bottom line- I enjoyed creating an outline using this software, but it stopped being easy to use as soon as I wanted to actually use that outline to write in another program. There is basically NO information about actually exporting your project on their site (a blurb paragraph). Their website doesn't have as much info as I'd like, and as an annoying large number of glaring typos, considering it's a software for writers.
Great App / Great Developer
If you are a creative writer, this is a fantastic tool to have in your writing toolkit! Even if you think you don't need it, you should take some time to consider its features and benefits. As a screenwriter, I find it is excellent for helping me outline solid stories with rich and well developed plots and characters. It goes beyond just “fill in the blanks” and encourages you to consider the “why” behind your creative choices. This app can save you countless hours of rewrites by helping you lay a solid foundation to build your story on.
The app is reasonably priced and as an added bonus, the developer is also extremely responsive. When the new version 5 was released I reported several bugs I encountered and they quickly addressed the issues and asked further questions for clarification. They seemed genuinely grateful for the feedback I gave and within a week or so the issues were fixed.
Story Planner is an essential part of my creative writing process and I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a tool to assist them with story development.
Simple and Easy, but Expensive
I started using this app on my iPad when I realized how useful it would be to have on my laptop, where I do most of my actual writing. I love the simplicity and visual aesthetic of the app. I tried hundreds of writer and story planner apps and websites, but I always come back to this one. The only catch: it’s expensive for the computer, and there’s a specific lack of customizability. I would love the ability to add my own categories and subcategories to fill out. But at the same time (being the detailist I am) I feel like the bare-minimum approach that this app has can be helpful for perfectionists like me. Definitely reccommend!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.