If your work or play requires sunlight, Sun Scout is built for you. Turn your iPhone in to a magic lens. Point it to the sky and understand where the sun will be and when it will be there.
* romano01, US App Store – "This app has come in handy more then once this week alone. While working on a feature film called "fairhaven" the gaffer and I (key Grip) needed to find out where and when the sun would be for a scene… well after i pulled out my Sun Scout App. everyone started downloading it!!! It is well worth it."
* WPSHM, US App Store – "This should win a gajillion awards for usability and simplicity. I love it!!!!"
Please Note – Sun Scout uses your device's compass. Like all compasses, Sun Scout is adversely influenced by metal in buildings or vehicles. Sun Scout is only as good as the iPhone's compass and is prone to a variable margin of accuracy even under fair conditions. Please do not base high-value production decisions solely on Sun Scout. Confirming them using sun charts and a technical mission during the time of day of a future shoot.
We'd be delighted to hear what you're getting up to with Sun Scout. Give us a shout by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun Scout 1.5.0 is a critical fix – sorry that version 1.4.0 does not function correctly with iOS 13 and larger screened devices.
Fixes included in 1.5.0:
* Fixes the sun path not being shown.
* Fixes date setting not working.
* Fixes location setting not working.
* Improves layout on larger screened devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
WORKS, BUT ONLY FOR DATES OF THEIR CHOOSING
Their website FAQ says:
"Does Sun Scout let me see the sun for days other than today?
Absolutely. You can tell Sun Scout the date in the year that you are interested in. You can't yet set a specific custom date, but we expect to add this as a feature provided there is demand."
SO, I'm confused…You CAN tell it the date you're interested in (HOW?), BUT YOU CANNOT YET SET A SPECIFIC DATE. ????
And: $9.99 is WAY too expensive and they say you should calibrate it every day.
Needs calibration adjustment
I like the ease of use. Simple for what it is intended. I think $10 is a bit too high for allowing only 1 function. Another app like star wall has similar function with AR view and offers much more other info.
The sun position does not quite align with my view. I think if a calibration tool exists it would be much better. Something like you move the overlay sun to where the sun actually is and hit calibrate....
Does not work with ios13. Please update.
Developer Response ,
Hi, I’m sorry about the iOS 13 issues. The 1.5 update was released a few days after your review with fixes for these problems. Could you please give it a try?
Thank you for the feature suggestion!
Seems to be working now on iOS 9 and iPhone 6S
So excited to have this working again. It's the easiest app I've found for scouting for future date and sun location. Great for time lapse sunrise and sunset, but also excellent for scouting filming locations and impact of sun for time of day.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Benjohn Barnes
- 5.1 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Splendid Things 2014
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.