Syntorial is a synthesizer training app, that will teach you how to program synth patches by ear. By combining video demonstrations with interactive challenges, you’ll get hands on experience programming patches on a built-in soft synth, and learn everything you need to know to start making your own sounds with ease.
"Syntorial is the most direct route between hearing a sound in your head and knowing how to bring it to life." - Electronic Musician Magazine
"The most comprehensive and fun tool for learning synthesizer programming, hands down." - Keyboard Magazine
“The best training in synth sound-design we’ve come across. A unique and fun way to train your ears in re-creating synth sounds.” - MusicTech Magazine
* Electronic Musician Editor's Choice 2014 *
• Interactive Learning: Syntorial doesn’t just show you how synth programming works. It engages you in Interactive Challenges in which you program patches on a built-in synth. You aren’t just learning how to design sound, you are becoming a sound designer.
• For Musicians, Not Physicists: Instead of talking about the science and physics behind synthesizers, Syntorial will show you how each control effects sound, as well as when, why and how you would use them when designing sounds. This is information that you can immediately apply to real-life situations.
• It's All About The Ear: One step at a time, Syntorial trains your ear to recognize how each control shapes and manipulates sound. By the end of the program you’ll be able to take the sounds you hear and re-create them, completely by ear.
• Challenges: Learn by doing! Complete challenges by programming patches with Syntorial’s built-in synth.
• Videos: Everything is taught through video demonstrations using the same synth that you’ll use in the challenges.
• Patches: Program, program, program. After all, that’s what it’s all about, right? By the end you will have programmed tons of patches, from simple to complex, familiar to strange.
• Quizzes: Multiple choice questions to help you retain and remember everything you learn.
• On Your Own: Syntorial will give you periodic tasks to be carried out on your own with whatever synth(s) you use.
• Subtractive synthesis
• Three Oscillators (Two with Waveform, Pitch, Pulse Width, and Mix controls, and a Sub oscillator with Waveform and Volume controls)
• Saw, Pulse, Triangle and Sine waveforms
• FM knob
• Noise Oscillator
• Oscillator Sync
• Filter (Low, Band and High Pass) with Resonance and Key Tracking
• ADSR Filter Envelope
• ADSR Amp Envelope
• AD Modulation Envelope
• LFO with four waveforms, seven destinations, rate, amount, trigger, and mono/poly modes
• Mono and Poly Voice Modes
• Unison with Voice, Detune and Spread controls
• Ring Modulation
• Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, Delay, and Reverb effects
• Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel and Velocity controls
FREE VS UPGRADE
The free app comes with the first 22 Lessons, additional Lesson Pack samples, as well as Syntorial's fully featured synth. Upgrade to get:
• All 199 Lessons, including 129 Challenges, 147 Videos, and 706 Patches covering the most common synthesis parameters.
• Additional Lesson Packs covering Massive, Sylenth1, Cakewalk Z3TA+ 2 and Minimoog Voyager, each containing 30+ videos. More Lesson Packs planned for the future.
• Pay once and get access to all of the above on iPad, Mac and PC. Sync your progress across all 3 platforms. Train where you want, when you want, and how you want.
• Plugin version of Syntorial's synth, Primer. Program, record and play Primer in your favorite desktop recording software. VST (Mac/PC) and AU (Mac).
Syntorial: A New Way To Learn Synthesis
Bug fix: Crash caused by leaving and returning to app after finishing a lesson
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
If you want to learn synth sound design from the bottom up with all knobs and functions, recognize and recreate the coolest sounds, this is the app for you.
I tried different books and watched I don't know how many instructional videos, but never got much further than what already figured out on my own. Sometimes, I even got more confused with the over theoretical explanations that did not help me sound better.
This app is the real deal because it is a series of progressive exercises dealing with all options generally available on old analog, digital and computer synthesizers.
This is the BEST!!
I'm so grateful for this app (and to the developers who've made it!) - as a guitarist I've gotten really into the amazing world of iOS music making and there are a lot of synths! If you want to actually understand how to use the controls within synths and to make your own sounds (and just understand the sounds you're hearing better) then this is so worth the investment. I'm really enjoying the well made tutorials and challenges, Everything is very user friendly, well thought out and well laid out. Bravo!
Upgrade price is insane
I was really loving the synth tutorials. I am learning alongside my 12 year EDM fan and we were really digging the lessons and learning a bunch. Then we got to the end of the free lessons and WHAM!!!! $129 to continue!!! As much as we love your lessons and teaching style, there is just no way we could justify spending so much to continue. So sorry because we absolutely loved this. Maybe you should offer price tiers. One price for the basic lessons, another for the lesson packs for Serum and Massive (which we don’t need), and another for PC/Mac access and the plugin. I’m a software product manager with years of experience and offering all or nothing bundles is a sure way to lose customers. Wish you had some lower price points to continue with more lessons.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback on price. We actually think tiers isn't a bad idea, and will take it into consideration.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.