See the events shaping the world.
Morning and Evening Briefings
Begin and end your day informed.
Listen to audio series including “The Daily.”
Follow the topics that interest you most.
Read political, social and personal commentary.
Get alerts on the topics you choose.
Enjoy wordplay, every day.
Understand the world through award-winning independent journalism, expert reporting and multimedia storytelling with the New York Times app.
iPhone and iPad Features:
• News Alerts: Get notified of major developing stories and tailor alerts to topics of interest.
• Morning and Evening Briefings: Start and end your day with daily digests compiled by Times journalists.
• For You: Explore more of what you love, and discover new topics of interest.
• Podcasts: Listen to audio series including “The Daily” and “Modern Love.”
• The Mini Crossword: Enjoy wordplay every day with the daily Mini Crossword.
• Today’s Paper: Find all the stories exactly as they are in the print edition.
• Experience NYT stories through innovative formats, like augmented reality.
• Save articles to read later on any of your devices.
• Multitasking: On an iPad? Get caught up on the day’s headlines while working in other apps.
Apple Watch Features:
• Catch up quickly by reading today’s headlines.
• Receive alerts when big news breaks.
The New York Times app is free to download, and all users can access a sampling of articles per month, from any section. Subscribers get full access to over 25 sections, plus unlimited access to nytimes.com.
Digital Subscription Options:
• Basic - unlimited digital access for $14.99 per month or $129.99 per year (save over 25%). Cancel anytime.
• All Access - unlimited digital access, plus access to the NYT Crossword, NYT Cooking, and one bonus digital subscription for $24.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
Your payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew each month or year 24-hours before the end of the current period, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
California Notices: http://www.nytimes.com/privacy/california-notice
Starting version 9.32, this app will save and honor your privacy preferences across devices when logged in to a New York Times account.
Questions Concerns? Please contact us at email@example.com or (800) 591-9233. We respond to every inquiry.
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Not valid for Digital Access $129.99 per year subscription option. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes.com + Smartphone Apps, NYTimes.com + Tablet Apps and Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
This version has general bug fixes and improvements.
For any question, feedback or concern please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Love the app, miss most popular
I am a product director on another large scale mobile app, and I love the NYT app. It’s visually appealing and thoughtful and I appreciate so many of the changes you guys have made throughout the past years. My only wish, is that you stop moving the “most popular” articles section. First it was a carousel (my favorite), then you limited it to a list view of only 4, then it was moved to a completely different part of your navigation and I had to search for it, and now it’s gone. I can’t find it. I enjoy seeing what’s most read for several reasons and am bummed it’s gone. If I could make one request, please bring this back to your timeline.
An additional comment - I find your newer navigation confusing. You’ve essentially moved the whole navigation under “browse”, not an immediately obvious title for this. And “for you” is not relevant to me, what I read, or what I do. I literally play spelling bee every, single, day and hate that I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of timeline (while it’s updating which pushes me up the timeline, to only have to scroll down more) to get to it. If “for you” was really stuff I use, it should have spelling bee but it doesn’t.
This is the only app review I’ve ever written, i promise. And I’m writing it more because I love the content and the app but wish these few things could change. Leaving feedback because I’m hoping it’s helpful!
This App Desperately Needs a Night Mode Display Option
I love the NYT, so this mediocre rating is simply due to the usability/customizability of the app. There is no night mode, which just feels a little behind the times in terms of the various display options that have now become standard in most phone & tablet apps.
I also personally wish there was slightly more customizability in terms of being able to block or hide certain categories of articles from appearing. For example, although we can choose what subjects we are interested in, which will then show up in the “For You” section, I would also love the option of telling the app what NOT to show me when scrolling through the main feed. For me specifically, I don’t like reading Opinion pieces and will never open them, so it’d be great for me in terms of usability if I could just have the app “hide” those when I’m scrolling through (or hide the entire Opinion section). Other people may never read the Entertainment section, or the sports section, etc., so perhaps they’d like to be able to scroll through the main “Today” section without seeing those. It would just be a nice, extra option that could continue to help shape the content to what each reader enjoys the most.
Best reporting, worst app
Another update: Please stop the app updates. Every time the app is updated it makes it worse. Every single update makes it a worse reading experience. I do not want to scroll through the muck in the sections tab to get to the content I want to read. The junk at the top of the sections page is bulky and cumbersome and time consuming. I want to be able to group the sections in order that I read them as I used to be able to rather than searching through all the irrelevant sections. Also the articles take a long time to load and the entire page gets stuck multiple times as I get through content. Readership has dropped and you are turning off electronic subscribers with this meddling.
Update: your app is crap and not worthy of the world-class NYT name. Every version is as bad or worse than the previous one. It freezes all the time. It is slow to load. It drops saved articles all the time. It never syncs between devices. Get your act together. Fire the app team and start over.
The content is the best news source I consume. The app is the worst I use. It freezes constantly. It skips and jumps and is slow to load. The saved for later articles don’t sync between devices. Every update loses saved content. I resisted the most recent update for a long time. Now I’m sorry I did it. This is the slowest and freeziest version yet. Get it together - keep the newsroom staff and dump the app developers.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The New York Times Company (iDP)
- 90.6 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017, The New York Times Company
- In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Smartphone App $14.99
- Basic $14.99
- Basic $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.