This iPad edition is a vibrant new way of reading the TLS, the leading paper in the world for literary culture. Its combination of fine writing, literary discoveries, incisive criticism and debate make it mandatory reading for anyone with an interest in the world of ideas. Added to this are beautiful images, a user-friendly search function and app-only features, with the promise of further enhancements to come. The TLS has been reviewing the books that matter and examining the ideas that resonate since its launch in 1902. From fiction to philosophy, religion to medicine, social studies to film, TLS readers enjoy the most informed criticism of culture from around the world. Subscriptions include access to back issues.
The TLS app is free to download and can be accessed in the following ways:
1) If you have a subscription to the TLS, you can log in using the information sent to you by the subscriptions house.
2) You can buy individual issues or a monthly auto-renewing subscription from iTunes.
Individual issues are available for £2.99 and the monthly subscription is £7.99.
The subscription renews automatically unless auto-renew is turned off at least twenty-four hours before the end of the current period. The account will be charged for renewal within twenty-four hours before the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal. You can manage your subscription and turn off auto-renewal by going to Account Settings after purchase.
This update of the TLS app will support the latest versions of the operating system, update contact details and improve the reading experience of our reviews, essays and poems, while enhancing the richness and beauty of our imagery.
Ratings and Reviews
Works fine in a pinch
I prefer the paper — the feel, the smell, the look of it, the turning of its pages and folding it in half to tuck it under my arm as I make my way to wherever I’m not content to be without the TLS by my side — but there are times when I’m finished with the paper or when I haven’t brought it with me, and this app does well to provide a not-too-far-off-from-the-paper satisfaction. It’s not beautiful, as the paper is, but it’s all there. Too, the archive goes way back, so there’s always something new (to me) to read.
Very poor app
Worst digital subscription app I have had the sad occasion to pay for using. Can’t remember my subscription information and provides no means to sign in to one’s account. Open the account tab and you are informed you are not authorized to view YOUR account information. All past issues locked for access by digital subscribers only, though you are and for several years have been a suffering digital subscriber. Sometimes the app remembers who you are and lets you in. Other times it does not and since it doesn’t allow you to sign in (how elementary a convenience!) you must again send an email to find out how to get in—when you want to read an issue now, not three days hence. This has been going on for 3 years and no web site improvements in that time. Tossing the app and keeping the print edition.
I guess I’m not the target user, but who is?
While I so far I haven’t had the login issues that others have reported, I have substantial complaints:
1. I prefer to select what to read based on the topic and author of the books being reviewed, but that information is deeply buried. Thematic heads like “SCIENCE” are often too broad to help.
2. The information that is prominent in the table of contents includes reviewers’ names that I only sometimes recognize, and review titles, selected for cleverness rather than utility.
3. In print, I read a bit of the review, then look at who the reviewer is, and return to the review. In the app, this is a cumbersome process.
4. On my iPad, the app will orient to landscape from either side, but portrait only one way, and not the way that would be most useful.
- Times Newspapers Limited
- 19.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- The TLS app for iPad is published by The Times Literary Supplement Limited. © Copyright The Times Literary Supplement Limited 2012. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- TLS single issue $3.99
- The Times Literary Supplement $9.99
- TLS single issue $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.