Think Dirty is the easiest way to learn about the potentially toxic ingredients in your cosmetics and personal care products. It’s an independent source that allows you to compare products as you shop. Just scan the product barcode and Think Dirty will give you easy-to-understand info on the product, track dirty ingredients, and shop for cleaner options.
• Search by Keyword or Barcode Scanning: Over 850,000 cosmetics and personal care products majority from Canada and the U.S. are currently in our database.
• Personalized Ingredient Preferences (Premium): Save time by pre-selecting your Allergens, Ingredient preferences and personalizing your shopping experience. Ingredient alerts will be presented if we find any flagged ingredients in the products you viewed.
• Search by Ingredient (Premium): Unlock to get detailed information about its usage, health impact, sources and also which products contain such ingredients.
• Search by Curated Categories (Premium Feature): Unlock to access our curated speciality lists such as Mineral Sunscreens, SLES-Free Skincare, Vegan Makeup
• Dirty Meter®: A comprehensive rating is given, along with detailed (but easy-to-understand) information on ingredients, certifications, and health impacts.
• My Bathroom Rating: Keep track of what’s already in your bathroom. Learn your current bathroom rating, and track your progress on “cleaning” it up.
• Upvote Non-Rated Products: Let your voices be heard! Upvote and we will aggregate user responses and reach out to brands on users’ behalf to encourage them to get their products verified and rated.
• Shopping Lists: Save products and make shopping faster and easier.
• Shop Now: Buy products directly from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Well.ca, Sephora.com, and Amazon.co.uk.
• UPC Submission: Are we missing a product? Use your device's camera to scan its barcode and capture the list of ingredients with OCR, then submit it to us. For registered users who submit products, we thank you with a discount code to use our beauty box subscription. And will notify you once they are in our database.
As mentioned in:
Bloomberg, New York Times, O Magazine, Today's Show, NPR, Fast Company, Huffington Post, TED Blog, Allure Magazine, The Atlantic, PSFK, New York Magazine, Buzzfeed, Consumer Reports ShopSmart Magazine, Global News, Toronto Star, City TV, CTV, App Central, Brit + Co, Refinery 29, Telegraph, The Guardian, Design Taxi
"What changed my routine and really my life is the Think Dirty app." - Ruby Rose
App of the Day 2021
Fast Company World Changing Ideas Awards - North America - Overall - 2020
25+ Apps To Make Your Everyday Life Easier – TED Blog
7 New Beauty Apps You Need to Download Now – Allure Magazine
The Beauty And Fashion Apps You Need To Download, ASAP – Glamour Magazine UK
“It helps me make informed choices on products that I am bringing home.”
– TED Blog Staff, Kyle Shearer
"Tse's quest for greater transparency is personal. Her mother is a breast cancer survivor, so she's sensitive to hidden dangers in the products around us."
– Fast Co. Exist
"Think Dirty miiiight be the best app ever" – Grist
"An App That Helps You Find the Safest Make-up."
– The Atlantic
"With a tool like Think Dirty, consumers can help find and promote good companies that are using non-toxic ingredients. You shouldn’t have to be a toxicologist to know how to find safer products."
– Janet Nudelman, Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
As a small team, we diligently work to accommodate the overwhelmingly positive amount of users' submissions (especially from our international users) to our database.
We appreciate constructive feedback. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have comments or suggestions.
Ratings and Reviews
Totally changed my life and my hair! Amazing App!!!
Before I had this app, I had NO idea that the “natural” products I was using for my post-surgery hair loss were actually 1) NOT natural at all and 2) making my hair loss MUCH WORSE!! I love that you can just scan the barcode of a product (or look it up by name) to find out if it’s healthy or not. My favorite feature is the ingredient analysis, though! It shows every ingredient in every product in their database (they’re still building up their database - they have 1.6 million products and counting!-but you can submit new products if they don’t already have the one(s) you want to check out ;) )and shows you exactly which ingredients are healthy, which are questionable, and which are dangerous (using their 0-10 rating system) AND, in an effort to educate people, it tells you the other names of each ingredient (ex. Water/aqua), why it’s in the product, why it’s good/questionable/dangerous, and their recommendations! I’m not getting paid for this review, I really just LOVE this app and think it’s AMAZING and LIFE-CHANGING! Bottom line: This app is INCREDIBLE and really focused on educating the public about what they’re using on their bodies- not on getting any kind of payout. From now on, I’m not going to use any beauty products if I haven’t checked them on Think Dirty, first!
I LOVE this app💗
I love being able to quick reference products before I buy with the 0-10 rating and I’m seriously IMPRESSED by the detail that has gone into breaking down the ingredients and you are able to view actual or potential effects these ingredients have when used on our bodies. The references to studies are provided and you can quickly click and read the studies if you’d like to go in depth and to the source of the information. As a skeptical nerd, I LOVE this!! One thing I would like to see is more small brands being available for reference. I understand that takes loads of time with a diminished return as less people use them however, during COVID our small businesses need all the help they can get to stay afloat! I would encourage small businesses to contact Think Dirty to have their products evaluated and links to purchase! You are also able to scan and submit products you’d like to see reviewed. Only about 30% of the products I use aren’t available(as I prefer to shop local) but Think Dirty has added many of them over the past years. You are doing FANTASTIC and very important work! Thank you! 💗☺️
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words about the app. We are so happy to know there are users who love it as much as we do and that we are helping in your shift to clean and safe products! ❤️
Better search options
I like that you can search for a product by name, but I wish there was a way to sort products by quality and price (which I noticed the website doesn’t include and is an important aspect for most, how much is this 1 rated shampoo vs the 3 rated shampoo? - for those unfamiliar a lower rating means a better product) I’ve also noticed a lot of comments on the really low rated products were quite negative or indicated they would not purchase more and you’d have to scroll to find some positive reviews, but the app still shows that product with an 80% would use again with 4+ stars?? When most the upfront comments are negative? I’m not sure about the reviews section of this app. I definitely will be using this app to further look into potential products, but it’s not as useful with finding new ones as I hoped it would be.
......after perusing the app for another 30 min or so and cross checking it with “the best 10 hair care products for dry hair” so far were 6/6 being listed as 8 ratings aka very dirty. Now I expected some of the big name brands to not be the best for you, but literally all of them are listed as very dirty because they have a fragrance in them? I get that fragrance is a chemical but if all the other ingredients are green and they have one thing that’s an 8 I don’t think giving it an 8 rating is fair....
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Think Dirty Inc.
- 102.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 All trademarks are registered for Think Dirty Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Think Dirty $2.99
- Think Dirty $27.99
- Think Dirty $15.99